The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Anyone ever used IT in a street show? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Alexander Wells
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of Alexander Wells
Anyone ever used IT in a street show?
By this I mean a circle or pavement/sidewalk show, not a Blaine style hit and run.

I'm thinking that Losander's dancing wand could be a good bet.
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
724 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
I've done floating dollar in my street show.... it played well... but not worth the effort on the street. There is a time and a place for everything. From my perspective IT works great in a close up or even parlor enviorments... not so much on the street. You allways have to be prepping and things of this nature... so I dropped it. If you want to put in the prep work, go for it.. however after a while I feel you will probably realize that IT is better suited for another venue.

Shawn
Shawn.
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
I've thought about using it many times (for various reasons & effects). But I've always come to the conclussion that it's too much hassle.

Wind, sunlight, breakage, & replacement time/cost all helped me to arrive at the conclusion that it'd be more hassle than it was worth.

I think it would play really well though. If you didn't mind the hassle, and tried to adjust your approach with it to take lighting & wind problems into consideration then it'd be a pretty awesome thing to do.

IT is awesome stuff and makes people feel that "magical moment" even from a distance. I wish I could find a way to use it with more confidense on a regular basis. As it stands though, I use it only for indoor, walk around gigs.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I have used IT in nearly every environment including street shows. Yes Chad, it is a hassle ... here there is a secret: multiple setups. I would setup two dozen "floating cigarettes", that would last me for a while. That way, its not a daily hassle. If one breaks, no biggie - just grab another. When you get low, make up a dozen more. I can tie a dozen cigarettes in less than an hour.

But yes, it is an extra workload which is a reason I don't do as much IT work as I used to. I am considering bringing it back into my act, as I want to re-market my "thread tubes".

-JoeJoe
Watch the Pilot Episode of my new TV Show:As Seen on TV: The JoeJoe Magic Show
Learn JoeJoe's secrets at Magic Joint dot com
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Also ... Neal ... Losander's Dancing Wand is the bomb, I highly recommend it.

However ... my multiple setup approach would be expensive. If you can only afford one, it means you will be forced to reset the wand on the pitch. And that becomes a major hassle!

-JoeJoe
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
Be really careful with IT outdoors, or anywhere. Most people are used to seeing certain things, even if they don't actually see the IT they can sometimes imagine where it would be if they could see it. Can't say more without revealing things...
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
ttorres
View Profile
Special user
Rock Hill, SC
513 Posts

Profile of ttorres
I would never use IT on the streets but then again I'm against exposure.
...the magic that creates Memories!
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
The is no more risk of exposure on the streets than there is using thread anywhere else. Understand your lighting and there won't be any problems. Here I am floating cigarettes on the street - there is no exposure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Podlo81lf4Q

Notes on that particular clip ... one night a guy was hanging around and started a conversation with me. Turns out he was waiting for his girlfriend to get off work. He saw the camera on a tripod and offered to hold it ... I instantly changed my plans for the evening as I had been wanting to capture the floating cigarette on film and this would be my best opportunity. I had not actually performed that trick in several years, quiet out of practice. But even so, I still like it.

-JoeJoe
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
721 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
I'm not a big fan of thread work but having tried it on the streets, my solution is not to do it.
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Light, wind, uncontrolled environmental elements, etc etc, reset probs, etc,,,

I know I would not do it....
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I have more problems with using silks outside than IT - wind and silks is a bad combination.

Wind and IT however, can create a really magical effect. Ever see a sea gull "hover" in the ocean breeze? They kind of bop up and down a little ... with a little practice, you make a floating effect look just like that. Much better looking than just hanging something on a s*****.

-JoeJoe
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you want to understand the way IT works, see if you can find a copy of Braco's book. To get the most out of it, you will need to be able to read German.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Alexander Wells
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Thanks JoeJoe and everyone else.
I have Losander's wand and was thinking of using it to build up an edge.
Anyone have thoughts on this?
It does bear repetition but not ad infinitum. Although Losander seems to think it can be done over and over and he's the guy who invented it. Of course that might be why he's particularly well qualified to do it over and over again.
Neal
ttorres
View Profile
Special user
Rock Hill, SC
513 Posts

Profile of ttorres
It is my opinion that there is to many thing at an outdoor performing venue to expose IT. Number one on everyone's list is lighting. If you perform during the daylight hours there is no getting around this hurdle. Somebody is going to see the IT (if not most). Now if you don't pull out your IT until dusk you still have the wind to overcome. They're is a debate about IT work as to whether it more effective to float and object or to move an object. In that debate supporters of move an object say that as soon as you float something people think strings or wires. Regardless of whether there is something visible or not. Now factor in the slightest breeze and you (in their minds) prove them correct.

Personally I would rather not take the chance.
...the magic that creates Memories!
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
You will do good with Losander's wand Neal. While you can repeat the trick over and over, remember that less is more. If you do it for too long, it becomes an everyday thing and loses the magic ... you want to leave them wanting more. If people come to you and say "float the wand again", then you have done it just the right amount of time.

Here is a video of me doing the dancing cane outdoors to draw an edge ... for those that still don't believe it works outdoors, you can clearly see the light activated street lamps in the parking lot are still off. If you understand your lighting, you can make it work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxzgEOkPijI

Watch out for moves that take the wand up - you want people looking "down", not "up". Thus, avoid moves like around-the-body. I also don't recommend the move where Losander brings his hands together and lets the wand spin under them, keep your hands in motion to keep their eyesight off focus.

-JoeJoe
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
Neal,

I have done a version of the floating wand in the streets. I did it when it was dusk and into the night. Works really well. Most people thought I was using a magnet of some kind while others just came to a dead stop to watch.

Only did it for a few seconds to stop a few people then went into my first trick.

Hope this helps,
GeorgeP
Alexander Wells
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Cheers guys,
JoeJoe, I think I see what you mean with Down over up. You want to control the 'backdrop' and the street is better than the sky. Yep?

I agree with you on length of performance for the dancing cane/wand.
Seems it would be good for edge building then "come closer to watch the next trick or you won't see the 'close up' magic."
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2955 Posts

Profile of niva
Any chance for the braco book being translated to English?
Yours,

Ivan
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On 2009-03-15 12:13, Neal Alexander wrote:
Cheers guys,
JoeJoe, I think I see what you mean with Down over up. You want to control the 'backdrop' and the street is better than the sky. Yep?

Yes, exactly. Generally speaking, the ground/floor is always a better backdrop - not just on the street.

-JoeJoe
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Joe Joe and Gman, did you make the cane / wand or did you buy them from Losander? I am trying to make my wand but don't know about the cane.

Paddy
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Anyone ever used IT in a street show? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL