The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Now that I found Facebook, the Magic Café has lost its luster (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
If I sign up, I'm assuming you sign up, as Mike Nevets how will people find me as magicsanta? Can I pick a cool new name like DinoMike? Seriously what is face book in one sentence w/out using the word 'community'?
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Quote:
On 2009-03-11 16:39, Doug Higley wrote:
Jeff Tone said: "Doug, you shouldn't ignore its advertising potential."

What part of I don't market to the Gen Pub or Muggles didn't you get after all this time? No eBay, No Face Book, No My Space...Your fired!

The only thing I'm allowing to get 'out' is the testing of Shrunken Heads for collectors. That is about to come to a screeching halt as well. Smile

But you have fun there!!! Come back and see me some times. I'll be here.

Doug:My Mother thanks you ...My father thanks you...I thank you...and my SISTER Thanks you.

Click here to view attached image.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Quote:
On 2009-03-11 21:36, Josh the Superfluous wrote:
I'm waiting for it to come out on a DVD.

lololololol
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Quote:
On 2009-03-11 22:42, MagicSanta wrote:
If I sign up, I'm assuming you sign up, as Mike Nevets how will people find me as magicsanta? Can I pick a cool new name like DinoMike? Seriously what is face book in one sentence w/out using the word 'community'?

Answer: "On the Internet"

Facebook is on the Internet. Your welcome and I envy you being able to have my help.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Thank you Josh, you are a rockabilly studmuffin.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Doug, what you don't understand is that Facebook is NOT the general public. That's what makes it totally different from Myspace. Only your "friends" actually see the content. In theory, you could use it to communicate only with already existing customers.

Hey, it's not important. We know we can find you here, as you said.

But I wasn't suggesting you buy advertising time on FOX.

Santa, in one sentence: Facebook is a method of keeping contact with people. Instead of writing 27 emails, you just say, "I've got the flu", and the 27 people all see that you are ill. This is particularly convenient for lazy people like me who always forget to write their mothers.

But as I said in the last Facebook thread, the real appeal is finding people you haven't had contact with in thirty years. If you don't want to do that, you shouldn't sign up, I don't think.
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1306 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Quote:
This is particularly convenient for lazy people like me who always forget to write their mothers.

Your mom is on FB? LOL

I am not there, nor do I plan to. Many of my friends are and most of them have become blinded by the "more friends" competition and thus have dozens and dozens of "friends" whom they really don't know.

People have tried to lure me to join many times, and have heard many reasons why I should. Most used is "so we know how are you doing". And I tell them if you're interested in that, call me. Its funny listening to my FB co-workers sometimes..."I saw you vacuumed last night" (not kidding here, that has happened) "yeah I did, you were watching House" Why would someone post something like "I am vacuuming"? Does anyone care? Do you really need to share everything you do with someone..?

Also I am not very interested to find out how's life treating someone I went to grammar school with.

I might come across as grumpy old man but really I appreciate friends and want to deal with them in person.
Sent from my Typewriter
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
The reason I am using it is to keep in touch with only my family and friends I grew up with. Private. I'm not looking to have thousands of friends like myspace. FB only has those I grew up with and know my real name - (Mike Nevets). No bicycle or magic stuff.

The MC is where I hang out during the day. And in the same token, I am not inviting any of my personal friends from FB to hang out here. The two just don't mix.

To me FB feels cozy and comfortable. And you can use ANY avatar you want! lol
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1306 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
And I have nothing against FB! Its just not for me. I got a lot of friends who are very addicted to it (and thus report their vacuuming activities) and I find certain things about that very amusing.
Sent from my Typewriter
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
What is it that you can get addicted to it? People just jump around and look at other peoples page? Sounds exciting to me.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
The same way you're addicted to the Magic Café.
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1306 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Two of my friends don't really jump around looking at other persons pages, but to a certain degree live their lifes thru FB...Elina for instance logs on the minute she wakes up to let everyone know she is up. She also tells that she's going to shower, she's out of the shower, she's leaving for work. When she gets to work, she logs on from the nurses station to let everyone know she is at work now. Whenever we have a break between surgeries she logs on. Her husband left her for that. I have been at her place and she spent almost the entire time in FB because he had to constantly check whats happening or say something to someone.

So, I really did mean an addiction. Of course most people don't act like that.
Sent from my Typewriter
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
There are some annoying things that I am discovering:

When you post something to one person, everybody sees it. And there are the constant nonsense requests people send. AND they send a lot of Cause requests also.

I'm just using mine for my immediate family and friends; I'm not into all the other nonsense.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Justin, you can edit all that stuff in your profile settings or privacy settings.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Cool...I'm goanna have to figure that stuff out. What about when someone sends you a request and you ignore, will they know? I mean, I'm just not into Maffia Wars.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Justin,

No, they won't know if you ignore the request. But obviously they will know you didn't accept it.

The games are a silly diversion, and while a lot of us play them, they're not the point: so no one is offended if you don't play.

On the other hand...uh...I'll PM you.
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
One of my primary reasons for using facebook- Networking. Just today I got a pretty decent gig!
I do play a lot of the games (Stoney can attest to that!!) but always, the primary purpose is to get more work. Why not get the work while trying to take over the world in a silly game?
Some people send fliers and e-mails...I work my connections!
G
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I turn down a lot of requests. To do them all would take forever.
One guy keeps Kidnapping me to Cape Town, Africa over and over and over again.
Finally had to ignore it due to redundant questions I needed to answer in order to escape.
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
I seem to spend a lot of time in Cape Town myself...I now know more about Cape Town than I ever thought I would!
But, as a kidnapper myself...I know he enjoys his time in Quebec City as well.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Quote:
On 2009-03-12 15:06, gsidhe wrote:
I seem to spend a lot of time in Cape Town myself...I now know more about Cape Town than I ever thought I would!
But, as a kidnapper myself...I know he enjoys his time in Quebec City as well.

:rotf:
I had a feeling their was someone in the other room.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Now that I found Facebook, the Magic Café has lost its luster (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL