The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » It's pretty funny, if it was just some idiot and not Me! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DeadDave
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
176 Posts

Profile of DeadDave
This is a copy of a letter that I've sent to the Gas company, the Governor's office of Consumer Affairs, the Public Service Commission, and the Consumerist.com website:

I called Georgia Natural Gas (GNG) to establish an new account for our recently-purchased home on January 2 of this year. I received a letter dated January 7 that showed our service active from January 5. I received a follow-up letter dated January 9 showing the same thing. After about six weeks of service, I called to inquire as to the whereabouts of our bill and was told that it would be 45-60 days before we received our first bill. My wife called and received the same answer (she didn't know I had called earlier that same day). So, we had no way of knowing that anything was amiss.

Then we received a call from our realtor saying that the former owner of our house had received a gas bill. We asked her to email us a copy of the bill, and we emailed her a copy of the letters stating that we had established service. She emailed the back of the bill, but not the front. We told her this, but heard nothing more about it.

On March 5 we receive a bill (finally), but it made no sense. There was no gas consumption charged, and the bill is mysteriously high. Additionally it says "Account Closed". I called Customer Service to ask about this bill only to be informed that WE HAVE NO ACCOUNT by a customer service supervisor who:

*Kept implying that I didn't know my own address.
*Had no idea why our account was canceled.
*Blamed the discrepancy on Atlanta Gas Light (who reads the meters) and
*Couldn't explain the bill anyway

I pointed out that:

*I know where I live.
*I didn't know why my account was canceled, either.
*I did not care about GNG's and Atlanta Gas Light's communication problems
*If the bill STARTED at $120 per month prior to ANY gas being charged, I would cancel gas service and buy additional blankets instead.

After about two hours of this, it transpired that GNG had:

*Switched the gas service at one our neighbor's homes to our name.
*Left our gas service in the former owner's name.
*Sent our neighbors a bill stating "Account Closed"
*Re-instated our neighbor's account when they called about their account being closed
*Closed our account
*Sent the former owner of our house a bill
*Sent us the bill for our neighbor's house
*Hired incompetents to man the customer service line

After promising to follow-up and get back to me in a day or two, I waited for a return call. Keep in mind that I am trying to PAY A BILL! Not get out of paying a bill, not re-negotiate my rate, nothing. I just want to pay the bill. For my house. Not my neighbor's.

Today, after receiving no return call from GNG (surprise!) I call the Georgia Public Service Commission and file a formal complaint. The person I speak to inquires if I'm sure that I want to do business with GNG. I tell him I'm afraid that switching companies now will turn this into even more of a disaster, but I find out that another provider has a much better rate. I call them and they seem competent, too. I call GNG again to verify that I have no account, but surprise (!) now I do! Dated March 7. Which makes it look like I tried to scam the former owner of my house by not establishing gas service until she cut it off. (The letters stating otherwise notwithstanding.) Which ain't gonna work.

The customer service rep (again) claims that I told them the wrong address when I signed up for service. Uh-huh. Why is the mailing address correct then?

Oops. "Let me transfer you to a supervisor."

The supervisor proves to be even more useless than anyone so far. Now, I have well and truly lost my temper. Useless supervisor says he can't understand what I want. I WANT TO PAY MY *&#%^@ GAS BILL! Why is this so hard to understand? He says that the former owner is responsible since she didn't call up and cancel. I point out that they had no problem canceling the neighbor's account when they mistakenly put their account in our name.

Doesn't matter, he says.
I swear a lot. (I'm former military. I'm good at it.)

I get kicked upstairs. New "executive" customer rep understands the problem! Says she will have a solution by close of business today! Also says that they will make me a better deal in an attempt to keep my business! She'll call me back forthwith! Hooray!

Not so fast...

Now GNG has received the complaint from the Public Service Commission. GNG assigns a different person to investigate it. Helpful, professional, Executive CSR is out of the picture. New investigator wants listen to recordiings of every single call. I explain that this is almost five hours of recordings. Five hours of my time. That I am not being compensated for. I explain that the problem was likely to be resolved by last CSR, and if not, I was going with another vendor.

They'll get back to me.

I bet!

Let me be clear: I'm trying to pay a bill. They won't let me. They are so busy pointing fingers and assigning blame everywhere except where it belongs that they've forgotten that the key component is,
Step Three: Profit!

Dave
_________
It really is kind of funny.
I've already decided to go with another vendor. This much trouble before I get the first bill? Come on!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » It's pretty funny, if it was just some idiot and not Me! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL