The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » When did "Hawaii" become "Hawai'i"? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Is this something recent, or have I been missing something?
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I didn't know that. A few years ago San Jose got that lil' duhicky betwen the s and e which cost the city a fortune (that mayor was run out of office later) to change on everything and I think they finally gave up since most people didn't know how to get that thingy up there or why it is there in the first place. The world is so cute and PC now.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
It's a very old way of writing Hawaii, actually.

Is it now official or something?
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Clearly it is likely the old 'correct' spelling. That is the same reason they wanted the duhicky in San Jose.
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
940 Posts

Profile of cfrye
In Hawaiian, as in most Polynesian languages, you pronounce each vowel separately. The apostrophe indicates there's a type of pause (technical term: glottal stop) between the i's.

Curt
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Curt,

You glottal stop with the erudite comments. (grin)

Let's get together sometime soon.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Oh, sure, they'll go out of their way to put in PC marks in San Jose, Hawaii, and other places, but just try to get tourists, politicians, and dignitari......orrectly.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Like Mis'sis'sip'pi? Smile

Quote:
Oh, sure, they'll go out of their way to put in PC marks in San Jose, Hawaii, and other places, but just try to get tourists, politicians, and dignitaries to pronounce Nevada correctly.

Depends on where you're from, I guess. In Missouri, it's "nuh-VAY-duh"...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I think that a Southerner was just trying to ask how you were doing.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Incidentally, my psychology professor defines political correctness as "lying to stay out of trouble."
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Hey! If you watch that Nevada video (and yes, people here freak out about how you pronounce the state, I learned because as a Southerner I said Navadah) they show a yellow building and go inside a place called Heidies. That is where I'm going in ten minutes! The manager is my wifes best friend.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Quote:
On 2009-03-12 07:00, ClintonMagus wrote:
Like Mis'sis'sip'pi? Smile

Quote:
Oh, sure, they'll go out of their way to put in PC marks in San Jose, Hawaii, and other places, but just try to get tourists, politicians, and dignitaries to pronounce Nevada correctly.

Depends on where you're from, I guess. In Missouri, it's "nuh-VAY-duh"...

Then Missouri is pronouncing it wrong. Regardless of where you're from, it's neh-VA-duh.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
So some tourist keeps hearing "Ha wai i" sometimes and "Ha vai i" others. Frustrated, he asks his tour guide for a definitive answer.

"Ha vai i" comes the answer.

"Thanks" says the tourist.

"You're velcome," says the guide.

Old, and very stupid joke.

Hawaiian is actually a fairly easy language to pronounce. Here's a story, Santa style.

My high school had a graduating class of 12, as I recall. Seven boys, five girls. (Lanakila Baptist High School, Ewa, Hawaii, class of 1981.) Some intellectual decides that we should sing some Hawaiian song during the graduation ceremony. Not a big deal, since once you've learned the tune and know how to pronounce Hawaiian, all you have to do is read and sing.

However, Ms. Intellectual (an ex-girlfriend) thinks we should also hold hands while we sing. The boys, being in the majority, succeed in vetoing this idea.

So graduation night comes. We're in our robes, standing on a platform, and we have to sing this stupid song. And we start, and all the girls grab our hands, and not only are we holding hands as we sing, but the girls raise our hands in the air and sway us back and forth as we sing.

The guys were NOT happy.

EPILOGUE: Ms. Intellectual, an ex-girlfriend, was the absolute first person I found using Facebook. She's a wonderful woman, mother of three, and we now laugh about all the silly teen-age War of the Roses stuff that we pulled after our break up.

I wish I could remember the name of the song. Maybe I'll ask her.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2009-03-12 03:17, cfrye wrote:
In Hawaiian, as in most Polynesian languages, you pronounce each vowel separately.

Apparently not, as the "ai" is a diphthong; if you pronounced each vowel separately, Hawaii would have four syllables - haw-waw-ee-ee - and Hawaiian would have five - haw-waw-ee-ee-ahn.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
You smart guys crack me up!

Now, I don't a diphthong from a diaphragm, but I think cfrye meant "vowel sounds".

Is "diphthong" the technical word for "vowel sound"?
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2009-03-12 14:01, stoneunhinged wrote:
You smart guys crack me up!

Now, I don't a diphthong from a diaphragm, but I think cfrye meant "vowel sounds".

I think it's skimpy underwear for a goof.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2009-03-12 14:01, stoneunhinged wrote:

Yup. Two vowels blended into a single sound, as "oi" in "coil".

Also known as a digraph, just to complicate the mixture.
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
940 Posts

Profile of cfrye
Apparently there's been a transition from the pure Polynesian pronunciation pattern to a more westernized approach in common usage. The web page at http://www.friesian.com/hawaii.htm#pronounce , written by Kelley L. Ross, Ph.D., Department of Philosophy, Los Angeles Valley College, notes that:

"In "Hawai`i" itself, a four syllable word (or three, if "ai" is regarded as a diphthong) of unknown meaning (although claims and speculation abound), the stress is clearly on the /wá/: /hawái`i/."

The phonetic breakdown indicates that the stress occurs on the /a/ and there is no mark indicating the /ai/ is blended, so it appears /ai/ is not treated as a dipthong in technically "correct" pronunciation. That said, I certainly agree that the /ai/ is often blended in common usage. So we're both right!

Curt
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2009-03-12 14:18, S2000magician wrote:

Also known as a digraph, just to complicate the mixture.

Oh sure, bring discreet mathematics into the discussion, will ya?

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
OK, this is old information, but here goes:

Back in the day (the mid-seventies...I'm getting OLD), the vast majority of native born islanders (not Hawaiians, mind you, who were only 2% of the population back then), pronounced it:

Huh Wah Ee.

For what it's worth.

(Oh, and if a philosophy professor in California can be an expert on pronouncing Hawaiian, what does that make me...as a twisted, drunk, renegade, magic-loving philosophy Ph.D. who teaches business English in Germany but grew up in Taiwan and Hawaii? I'm one strange dude. Keep your distance. Sick Burn! on myself!)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » When did "Hawaii" become "Hawai'i"? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL