The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Favorite Musical (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I saw "The Magic Show" at the Cort Theater. My take... Magic didn't exactly come out of the closet, but it became cool enough to come out of my basement!

I liked "Cats", too. Awesome make-up!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Oklahoma (Film Version)

Fiddler On The Roof (Stage and Fim versions)

Evita (film version)

Hunchback Of Notre Dame (Disney Film)

Mulan (Disney)

Sesame Street Live (Elmo's Coloring Book)
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I've seen Oklahoma! on TV (my peeps is from Oklahoma), great movie, and Fiddler is a great one. I've not seen the others.

I demand Buffy be re-run!
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
"REPO: The Genetic Opera"

If you don't get a chance to see this on the big screen at a midnight movie, the pure awesomeness of this film will probably be lost on you, but it is, in fact, available for rental...

Think: Rocky Horror meets Blade Runner meets Moulan Rouge meets Repo Man... And more!
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I was tossed out of Rocky Horror for being a disruption. I saw it a bunch of times in San Jose and San Francisco where they do the whole tossing things and yelling at the screen, even performing it live in front of the screen. They opened the movie in Jacksonville Florida and a couple of us went and the audience didn't quite get the whole thing and we were asked to leave for throwing rice. Of course having consumed a bottle of Mad Dog 20/20 didn't help my position.

Has anywhere here other than myself seen Assassins?
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Well well, of all the people here Santa would have been my last pick for the one to be thrown out of Rocky Horror for doing what you're supposed to.
Sent from my Typewriter
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Yeah... I'm not sure what surprises you but hey, I can't figure everything out.
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
I just never thought you'd willingly go see guys in heels and fishnets, that's all. Of course Rocky's got great music, which is what appeals to me about it.
Sent from my Typewriter
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2009-03-13 16:49, MagicSanta wrote:
I was tossed out of Rocky Horror for being a disruption. I saw it a bunch of times in San Jose and San Francisco where they do the whole tossing things and yelling at the screen, even performing it live in front of the screen. They opened the movie in Jacksonville Florida and a couple of us went and the audience didn't quite get the whole thing and we were asked to leave for throwing rice. Of course having consumed a bottle of Mad Dog 20/20 didn't help my position.

Has anywhere here other than myself seen Assassins?

Ah, MD 20 20.

Around 1982, a buddy and I downed a bottle each and brought more into a theater to see the Sci Fi flick "Humongous".

This thing dragged on without nothing happening, so we start yelling "Give her humongous" when Janet Julian comes on screen.

The audience is laughing, but the manager comes to us and says "fellas, I know the movie is bad, but you're drunk and have to leave".
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Well Mr. Mvmagic I'll let you in on something. I have a cousin (older fellow, my mothers cousin actually) who was flamboyantly gay, still is, who was around my entire life. I was raised from Jr. High and beyond in the San Francisco area and have a trangender niece/nephew who is married to a wonderful lesbian. I have absolutely no problem with gays, drag queens, or transexuals as long as they don't talk endlessly about being gay or a tranny. I have provided a home to a screamingly gay man since 2001 because he has major problems and if not for me he'd live in a tool shed, which is where he lived prior to moving into my house. Granted I wish he'd leave but not because he is gay but because he is a free loader and not a very nice guy. Basically what I am trying to say is I'm not one of these johnny come lately, embrace diversity, lets discuss our differences and how we are not different, oh look I didn't spit on the rainbow flag, I wanna see two girls kiss, aholes. I've been around it all my life and use humor to challenge the status quo because I don't, like the PC crowd, put gays on a pedistal, I always considered them equals. I could care less if someone is gay or straight. In a nutshell I have zero problems with gay people cuz to me they are just people. As for movies that may shock you two of my favorite are The Bird Cage and To Wong Foo Thanks For Everything Julie Newmar (Rachell Tension, great name!) and even watched Pricella Queen of the Desert. Any other questions sir?

Drink enough Mad Dog and you puke purple...it's cool.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Quote:
On 2009-03-13 16:49, MagicSanta wrote:
I was tossed out of Rocky Horror for being a disruption.

How can you POSSIBLY be a disruption in RHPS?!?!?!
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
They did not realize that the movie was an audience participation thing, I don't think the makers of the movie realized it would turn into what it did. Remember it was opening night in a very conservative town and lets just say people at that time were not hip to what Rocky Horrer was about. This was over 25 years ago.

I cried when ever Annie sang....there, I said it.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Phantom of the Opera - the best
Les Miserables
Man of L'Mancha
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2009-03-13 09:47, Justin Style wrote:
Straight men don't like musicals!

Why don't you just come right out and ask: Which is your favorite Barbara Streisdan album...lol!

I used to have "Color Me Barbra," but it I wasn't that crazy about it and didn't get any other albums.

My daughter says I'm probably the only straight man in New England who owns Liza Minnella's last album (the one produced by the Pet Shop Boys.)

I also like musicals. Get over it.

Singing in the Rain
You're A Good Man Charlie Brown
Raggedy Ann and Andy, A Musical Adventure
Into The Woods
Wicked
The Magic Show, (which I own, although the original Broadway show was way better than what they put on the DVD.)
Cats (I didn't think I was going to like this until I saw the theatrical DVD. Stupid "Memories" song made me cry!)

Here's a weird take on "Cats." A bunch of cats performing "People."

http://www.catenamanor.com/index.php?comic=139

(You can read the ones in the middle, but these two pretty much sum up the storyline.)

http://www.catenamanor.com/index.php?comic=144

Actually, it's probably a shorter list to ask what I don't like.

West Side Story
The Music Man
Les Mis.

Probably a couple of others, not really sure.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Dr. Reneau
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of Dr. Reneau
A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To the Forum
The Fantasticks (the play, NOT the movie)

Of course it helps that I appeared in productions of both shows many years ago. Now if I can just do The Boys From Syracuse
Eric Jamborsky

Dr. Reneau,
Headmaster,
Hogwash School of Really Weird Stuff
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
When I was a kid we had the Firestone Christmas album and it had Barbara Streisand singing Silent Night. Though I was just a kid I couldn't take it, the rest of the album was great!
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
I had sort of liked Streisand's version of Memory, that was until I saw and heard Elaine Paige do it on stage...

As a kid I loved Sound of Music but later I have become to notice that a bunch of happy nuns singing in the mountains is awfully creepy...
Sent from my Typewriter
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I just had this image of the guy that used to teach landscape painting on PBS creating little nuns on the canvas with a couple of dabs of his brush; "Happy nuns, happy nuns!"
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Nosher
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Nosher
Sweet Charity
Escapemaster-in-chief from all sorts of houdingplaces - Finnegans Wake
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I forgot one at the top of my list...

Muppet's Treasure Island...with Tim Curry as Long John Silver. Production values are through the roof and the music score is off the hook by Hanz Zimmer! VERY funny with terrific songs and hilarious human pirate characters as well. If you haven't seen it yet...give yourself a treat. Despite the over the top byplay it also sticks to the original story which is one of my favorite books. I guarantee this one...but you need to TURN IT UP! The sound track is awesome.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Favorite Musical (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL