The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Female Illusionists (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
kh-magus
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of kh-magus
Japanese Female Illusion team.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MAGISTATION
KOKUBUNJI STUDIO

http://www.magus.tokyo/shop/

Extreme Multiplying Bottles

Ring on Glass Stem
akolodner
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of akolodner
Alexa,
I understand your footage limitations at this point so given that, I would not repeat the same tricks as much as you do. You seem to have a lot of Botania and Dream Bag Shots. The impact is diminished when they are repeated. You can start a trick and then come back to it but it needs to progress to keep interest.
The video does convey that your show isn't generic and that you provide a themed magic show for princess parties. So it does succeed on that level. As far as your character I would like her to be more expressive and look like she's having even more fun. For inspiration watch the video clips of the Broadway show "Shrek" and look at the the comic choices that Sutton Foster makes while still maintaining her princess persona. Now that you've made your show more special than a generic magic show, see how you can make your princess character less generic and even more unique and entertaining.
Arnie
Arnie Kolodner
akolodner
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of akolodner
[quote]On 2009-04-13 20:42, Christopher Starr wrote:
BTW - nice work on the Cinderella show Arnie.

Chris

Thanks so much Chris!
Arnie Kolodner
alexa
View Profile
Veteran user
NJ
393 Posts

Profile of alexa
Thank you Arnie! Your specifics are very helpful to me.

Alexa
magictvlv1
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of magictvlv1
I think that one of the weaknesses of magic is the perception that it should be family friendly. I think Doug Henning and Charles Reynolds suggested that when an artform such as magic and fairytales are interpreted as entertainment for children, they lose their power and their overall value.

If Cirque Du Soleil can take circus and make it an adult artform and give it back much of its lost power, what could happen to magic if someone did the same...

Magic needs a major re-working... P.T. Selbit said taht all the secrets should be revealed so we will all be forced to come up with something new... Is he right?
alexa
View Profile
Veteran user
NJ
393 Posts

Profile of alexa
WHOA. There is a difference between magic and fairytales for children, and magic and fairytales for family audiences. I have no desire to do anything for adults only. Does that invalidate my art? If all of magic's secrets were revealed, magicians would be forced to be more entertaining, not more magically skilled.

Alexa
akolodner
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of akolodner
Performing magic for family audiences is an art unto itself. It has tremendous potential to uplift, educate and empower children. I can think of no greater value and service to humanity.
Arnie Kolodner
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2475 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On 2009-04-13 19:49, alexa wrote:
Are there any suggestions for the well-developed character I already have?

Hi Alexa...

I do a lot of projects for Disney so there's nothing wrong with a family market. In fact it is a HUGE market in middle America and will keep you working forever.

I do want to talk a little bit about character. I think your character is charming and cute but needs more development to be able to carry an entire show. I think you've thought through things a lot and I give you a LOT of credit for being this far along at your age, but the character doesn't have enough development to be well rounded. A mono-dimensional character can carry a short act but becomes tiresome for much longer than that.

We need to see more realism based on you including your likes and frustrations, not just a one sided view. It's like you're playing a roll similar to Glinda the Good Witch in "The Wizard of Oz" which was fun but couldn't carry much of the story. When they made "Wicked", the character became fully developed and you saw so many sides of her that made you understand everything she did and her motives behind things. That's an example of an extremely well developed character. You need to take the audience on a full journey so try to create more depth to what you do, both for comic effect and for the detail as well.

"Shrek" is a great example and I think Wicked is as well. Study other great performances, preferably not magicians as they tend to be the weakest actors in the industry. Learn not just "what" they do but "why" they do it. Model your work on subtlety and details and the results will be great!

Once again, congratulations on such a great start!

Ray
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2475 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On 2009-04-15 21:48, akolodner wrote:
I can think of no greater value and service to humanity.

and BTW... Arnie, it's always great to see a consumate pro at work. I loved it.
Ray Pierce
alexa
View Profile
Veteran user
NJ
393 Posts

Profile of alexa
WDI,

I appreciate your long and thoughtful post. I agree, that based on this video, you do not get a strong sense of a well-developed character. I (wrongly) assumed that what I do in my show was too "small" for the camera and played with other things. My show is original patter, custom built props, I have written out a character profile for Princess Lexiloo, detailing from favorite toys to favorite pastimes to fears to favorite foods etc etc. I am a writer, and she is well-developed. However, it doesn't matter if I know those elements but my audience can't tell. So, the input is extremely valid and appreciated.

I am concerned though...what do you mean "for my age?" I am an adult with years of experience and am treated as a like-minded professional by most in the industry, and have even done lectures by request. (Though not on this topic, however in this field) I am confused by your comment that I am good "for my age." My clients (and I mean top-dollar clients) don't care if I am good for my age so long as I am delivering a quality service for THEM.

Thanks,

Alexa
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2475 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Alexa,

Your comments were very perceptive. Good acting is about efficiently communicating the thoughts that you've developed and know inside so everyone watching "gets it". As I always told students, it's not about effort but about results.

I understand about wanting to play it big for camera, but generally for TV you have to add more subtlety and nuance to your character as the camera picks up so much more than an audience in a theater setting. Always reign it in a few notches for film and TV or it ends up looking too "cartoonish" as someone called one of my earlier appearences.

I apologize about the age ... after watching your video you look so young in it, maybe it's a compliment! It has the look of someone in High School so I wrongly thought you were younger than you were. I've cast a lot of magic in the past and if you sent this video to a client that didn't know you, they might think the same. I'm not sure how old you are nor does it matter but it is an extremely youthful looking act.

It's actually a great thing to be perceived as younger. My manager kept me younger than I was for years as he said it was better to be an exceptional young performer than a mediocre older one. There was actually a well known writer for TV shows that portrayed herself as 16 and was hailed as brilliant. When they found out she was actually 24, they didn't care for her.

It's very important to know how you're perceived. Don Wayne used to say that having a realistic understanding of how you're perceived by your audience is a large problem for magicians (We think we're looking cool and the audience thinks were a bad joke from the 80's!).

Maybe hearing you talk on your promo would have given me a clue to your age but the visuals alone are evidently portraying the wrong image from what you want.

Good luck and Take care!

Ray
Ray Pierce
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Female Illusionists (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL