The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » T & R By Jerome Finley: A Review... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2825 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
Alex,

My comments weren't directed at you...I was teasing chi...just wanted to make sure about that.

Nathan
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Question to everyone reading this thread...

Does a review need to contain something negative in order for it to be deemd "fair"?

My review was positive because I enjoy and utilize the material involved in several of Jerome's manuscripts. Yet it seems like cougar's review is being regarded as "fair and honest" yet no one has made that distinction of mine -- am I missing something there?

J
xxx
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Since the norm on here is to stone to death anyone who gives a critical view - reviews tend to be one sided and biased. And there is a bandwagon hype mentality on here.

To have a few honest reviews that reflect the reality of the book make it a lot more fair. Since nothing is perfect and very rarely lives up to the marketing.

It gives a more balanced perspective.
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
I have been strongly thinking about editing, or "revising" my review...

Not to say that my review was not honest -- but I can see points where many won't find benefit in the manuscript.

This doesn't neccesarily make it bad though...

I will give it some thought.

I Review works as how I will see them benefiting me ( the works in question not the writing of the review) and what my thoughts are. Perhaps I should start writing them with others in mind...
xxx
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
That would be a really useful review and help others make a better more informed decision. I for one would like to see more reviews like that.
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2825 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
Jay,

Your review is fine...the problem with ALL reviews...you can only review them from YOUR perspective...YOU can't tell ME what will work for ME...only my audiences can tell me that...

Perhaps, to do a review...we should perform what we want to review and let an audience member write the review...the only truly fair way to do it, as I see it...

As far as I am concerned that youtube video of comments after Jerome's performance is the only review that counts at this point in time...anything else is speculation unless you asked your audience whether or not anything in your act sucked...

You never truly know what your audience thinks unless you ask THEM...audiences are trained...applause is automatic...unless you are truly stinking up the place.

Nathan
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Quote:
On 2009-03-25 22:46, Nathan Pain wrote:
Sorry buddy...have you heard of electricity?

Do you know how to work a hammer?

Does your mail arrive on horseback?

Nathan

PS Email is like when we used to open up our windows and yell...but with electricity, and no horses.

:)
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2825 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
Chi,

I am glad you enjoyed that...

Nathan
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Oh I found that hilarious. Trying not to distract the thread at this poinst. Smile
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2825 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
Yeah, back on topic...

Nathan
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
But you don't have electricity in utah...

do you?
xxx
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Well kind of. I have this big giant wheel that is hooked up to my house. In the morning I go and spend about 3 hours turning it. That usually provides enough power to get us through the day.
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Sounds like what we do up here in saskatchewan...
xxx
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2564 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
Everyone,

I want to make something clear, and I want to be totally honest.
Last year, I was looking for a copy of Thought Dial, and thought that trading pdfs was not harmful to the creator. Someone contacted Jerome, and he found out.
I was guilty as charged, although I never received the Thought Dial pdf, and I apologized since my intention wasnt bad, but I now know that it was.
Jerome and I cleared everything up, and things were good. I learned from my mistakes and I keep secrets closely guarded, and no longer think of trading pdfs.
People change and people make mistakes. I hope none of you take it against me.
Anyways,
the deal for the T$R manuscript was a 40 page ebook, and Jerome changed it to a physical hard copy and 100 pages, so the free ebook offer no longer stood.
Jerome mentioned in his email that he had offered it to the 5 people at half price, and well before that topic became deleted I didn't get a chance to read it, that's why I was asking about the free manuscript until now.
OK so anyways, I don't really have the money to purchase it from Jerome, since I have a wedding to pay for, but maybe one day I will purchase it.
I just thought I would clear the air, and let you all know.
Lets keep magic alive, and I hope that all of can forgive me for my unlawful acts in the past!

Thanks

Alex
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2445 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
I think a review should also contain a link where to purchase, as I have asked for this info and you all just want to have your private conversation, I can respect that, but it should be on another thread,I really put a lot of faith and trust in all of your comments, as this is my life, I can not afford to throw away money like the old days, so when more than a handfull aggree on something, I listen closely.
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2261 Posts

Profile of dmoses
Hey Jay

In regards to your question:
"Does a review need to contain something negative in order for it to be deemd "fair"?

I think the answer is "no"

However... I don't think (and others may disagreed, but for the purposes of the discuss I'd like to define the terms) a review is the same thing as an opinion.

A opinion is "I liked it!", "It sucked", "Jerome is the next-gen shaman king of mentalism!".
A review tells me with specific examples from whatever is being discussed-- Why!

So where your first 'review' read like hyperbole your second one at least gave reasons why you liked it.
Cougar's review was more balanced. He talked about the things he loved, didn't love, and didn't honestly know what to do with. We got a better sense of what the contents of T&R was... and the kinds of effects and techniques that were being explored, without giving anything away.

So, for me, Review=Opinion+Reasons.

A Good Review goes even further. It has Objectivity. It's not effected by "relationships" with the creator. And the person reviewing it doesn't base his opinions solely on the reading/watching of a work... but on performing the work too. It's all well and good to say something "sucks" but it's not always fair to say it without performing it. (please note I say "not always") For T&R they would perform various effect numerous times and discuss reactions of the audience and ease/difficulty of performance.

So Good Review=Opinion+Reasons+Objectivity

Finally a Great Review: Provides all of the above plus the history and context of the work within the art past and present. For example it's hard not to discuss Jerome's work without mentioning the Spiritualist Church movement of the last century or the work of Enrique Enriquez in this. There might be thoughts about the contrast of styles and aims of his work compared to the pseudo-psychological 'anti-psychic' work of Derren Brown et al.

So Great Review=Opinon+Reason+Objectivty+Context.

And even when a review does provide all that they often bring their own point of view/baggage to it. In many of the magic magazines you can almost anticipate what a particular reviewer is going to think of something. It's up to us to become aware of reviewer biases and take them into consideration.

It sounds like an awful lot of work, though and certainly more than most of us expect here in the Café. But even if we went beyond mere opinion to Opinion+Reason... I think our community would be better served.

Anyway... that was pretty long winded... thanks for the question though Jeff. It let me get this off my chest.

moses out.
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
T-shirts for Magicians and Mentalists
scarnecky
View Profile
Veteran user
Utah
330 Posts

Profile of scarnecky
Dave~

Thank you for that post, it was very helpful/informative for me personally.
__________________________________________________________________________________

I feel that this topic is a fairly simple one!

The key element being- Most of the individuals speaking up for Jerome and his work have either purchased, read or own his previous works. Placing aside how well anyone knows him (on a friendship or professional level), JF's work speaks for itself STRONGLY.

As with many "things" in the magic world or otherwise- I urge any of you who are seriously interested in strong, inventive, original, effective, often bold, and ultimately profound performance material to first make the effort (take the step) to purchase some of Jeromes work~ when and or if you have the chance to.

After your purchase, and depending on your level of satisfaction~ IS when you should exercise your options to 1) post a review here 2) contact Jerome to ask him specific questions/concerns pertaining to his work 3) or if for some reason you are unable to connect with "his" work or are for some reason dissatisfied- you can ask for a refund. I am very sure that Jerome would ablige and take care of any problems, issues or concerns.

In my view this is just what MUST be done under the circumstances. The material is strong, the magic is powerful and the subject matter is refreshing- that much most who have read this work can, have and will agree upon.

Personally I have not had a chance to read T&R yet, however this is one of Jeromes books that I have been quite excited about and I know (as with a great deal of his work) that I will use the techniques, ruses, systems and routines found within.

My thoughts

Smoothly

Scar
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2825 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
Scar,

Agreed!

Nathan
scarnecky
View Profile
Veteran user
Utah
330 Posts

Profile of scarnecky
Whoops~ typo:

'Oblige' not 'Ablige'

Been drinking too many Vaults today..

Another thought~ Having/ owning any of Jeromes books, is a small part of the bigger picture. You've gotta try some of these methods and routines to really get the feel for how special they really are.

Great Thanks

Scar
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
Perth, down by the cool of the pool
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Hey Dave,

Yes we love our own funny giggling/chit chat....so apologies on behalf of all of us that we did not answer your original question...you can purcahse Jerome's work from the following website:

http://www.sangomahealer.com/performersonly.html

I am surprised you didn't hear Nathan shouting that website address from his window, maybe you expected and were looking for the horse Smile

Kam

p.s what happened to Jerome's hair recently, he's moved on from the short back and sides heh?
If I speak forth, many a mind will shatter,
And if I write, many a pen will break.
.....and when I consider my own self, lo, I find it coarser than clay!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » T & R By Jerome Finley: A Review... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL