The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Ron Frank and Dress Model Child's Play watch (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4019 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
With the original CP which I had (the old modified x-toy Smile) I found that I had to more or less grab their arm even when using the supplied little piece of mag(ic) in the Listerine box (which made it abnormally heavy). Personally, if I have to touch them, that's not a very good thing but I really blame this one a limitation with the method or should I say, mag(ic) detection in general.
mrmagic0
View Profile
Inner circle
Ron Frank
1509 Posts

Profile of mrmagic0
That was somewhat true with the CPI but not so with the watches. Also if the batteries were weak with the CPI you had to get closer to the magnet. The weaker the batteries the closer you needed to get. That is also less of a factor in the watches. The CPI and watch versions of CP are like comparing apples and oranges.

Ron
chrismatt
View Profile
Special user
Why would you read any of my
966 Posts

Profile of chrismatt
It's nice to see this thread back on track. I have the regular CP II watch and actually prefer it to a fancier watch, as I don't want it be noticed or admired! It's just an every day watch and looks like one.

As I've noted previously, Kracker and Frank give excellent customer service and have created one of the stealthiest devices for impromptu-appearing mentalism you could ever hope to have.

I also have and use Soren Harbo's excellent UFO II and Craig Filicetti's fantastic "Multi-Dimensional" and "Red Handed." Each of these devices have their proper place and can create devastating effects. Yet the CP II watch is the device I use most. It made me learn how to conceal a strong magnet within a black stone. It allowed me to create my own version of the wonderful Outlaw Scorpion effect. With the super strong magnetic half that Ron also sells, you will be able to present a near perfect, impromptu-appearing, STRONG "Which Hand?" effect.

If you have Patrick Redford's "Prevaricator," you can practice his principles to gain confidence, knowing that you will never fail, thanks to your CP II watch.

Several have questioned their ability to bring the watch to within 3-4 inches of the underside of an S's hand. If you just think out your presentation, this will cease to become an issue...child's play! Watch how TV mentalist Thomas Jane determines how someone is lying. Study your natural gestures. Create multiple natural moments for detection.

A good-sized book could be written about just this one tool. Perhaps one will. But do yourself a favor and buy one of these watches and start using it in your work and play. You will not be sorry!

CM
Details make perfection, but perfection is no detail.
chrismatt
View Profile
Special user
Why would you read any of my
966 Posts

Profile of chrismatt
That's TV mentalist Patrick Jane, not Thomas!

Sorry!

CM
Details make perfection, but perfection is no detail.
joanmonse
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of joanmonse
Hi all,
just to give a big support to this Ron/Tom devices.

I'm totally confidence on performance BUT, please, check it before! And check the battery. My watches NEVER failed me and I'm using them often.

I love mentalism with NO props/gimmicks. I love mentalism with billets!
But I'm a gizmos/gadgets lover and I like to include something always in my performances BUT, I repeat, PRO devices, VERY tested ones that guarantee your success.
This are applicable to CHP2 (both models).
Congratulations Ron and Tom!

I invite you to watch my performance involving Dress Model and Scorpion (from Outlaw Effects).

http://www.vimeo.com/4418799

Best,
Joan Monse
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4019 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
That watch doesn't look that bad on the video. Pretty good job Joan. At first I thought using the Scorpion was a bit weak as it felt kind of harmless even if you smashed your hands into it due to the size of the newspaper ball but what really sold the danger factor was how hard you smashed down on the empty newspaper balls.
joanmonse
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of joanmonse
That's a very interesting point, kissdadookie.
Thanks a lot!
Best,
Joan
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4019 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
I'm not sure how true to life the reaction shots were on your video Joan but if we were to go by the video, the audience didn't really feel the danger until you've smashed one or two of the empty newspaper balls. I also don't understand too much Spanish so I'm not sure what the patter was thus I'm judging solely from what I personally felt watching the performance as well as the reaction shots. The biggest difference between the Scorpion and the standard Smash and Stab version is the immediate understanding of the danger involved. The Scorpion fits a close up environment perfectly well since your audience is right there and can clearly see that it would hurt quite a bit if you were to slam your hand on that thing while in a parlour or stage setting it's a bit harder to see as the audience is a bit farther away as well. With the standard Smash n Stab it's clearly obvious that the big spike will likely do quite a bit of damage if you were to come down on it. As soon as you tell them that what you are going to do plus the sight of the big spike, at that point your audience will be quite nervous (pretty immediately actually). The visual differences between the Scorpion and the Smash n Stab style spike makes a noticeable diffeerence. With the Child's Play watch however, luckily you can also use it with the magnetic version called Spiked. Smile
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
The other difference is Scorpion has reason and provenance. A great back story.

It does play best in a small venue, but Joan did such a wonderful presentation from start to finish I applaud him.

The fact that most of us enjoyed him without even understanding what he said is very cool.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4019 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
For stage, television, and parlour however I would go with maximum impact of the danger factor since it plays much better in those kinds of performance environments. Not knocking the Scorpion at all there Roth, just pointing out things that would play better in different situations as you must certainly be very aware of. Scorpion does play much better in close up environments though since it's immediately evident that if one was to smash down on it, it would hurt quite a bit.

Regardless, with both the Scorpion and Spike for certain, will work great with Child's Play as one would be dealing with a big mag and an even BIGGER mag with Spike. No way in heck will you not get a proper and reliable reading with any of them.
joanmonse
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of joanmonse
(editing)
joanmonse
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of joanmonse
Kissdadookie, your opinion is very useful to me!
I'm working on it for future performances, especially on stage or tv.
Thanks again!
Joan
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4019 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
You welcome Joan, I'm glad I could be of help to you Smile
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4620 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
I can't get the clip to play, Joan.....is it still available? though the gimmick looks effective, it's a shame it's not available in a few different designs. This is a strange thread, as half of it is about which watches are coolest....well, every big manufacturer makes a cool watch about once in ten or twenty years. The rest are "The Emperor Wears No Clothes" type of trash. Most Rolexes are hideous. Only those with modest aesthetic values find such ostentatious things attractive. In the olden days owners of such tat would have been labelled "genteel", which conveniently impressed them with the notion that they were gentle, but really meant that they were nothing without the show of wealth. They became the middle classes.
How about a classic Tag design, at least the very cool S-shaped strap they used to do. I have an old classic Tag from that period, and it is the coolest watch ever made. No stopwatch or barometer, altimeter or dgital thermometer, just a very smart and stylish, though somewhat understated, watch.
One of those please, with a HUGE m****t inside?
;)
joanmonse
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of joanmonse
Hi, Potty the Pirate!
Thanks for your interest in watch the video.
It's still available from the next link:

http://www.vimeo.com/4418799

Hope you like it!
Best,
Joan Monse
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4620 Posts

Thanks for that Joan, but I still can't get it to play. Is it my computer? I can play You Tube clips easy....
I do get to see your stage though, looks like a big show.
;)
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4019 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Try rolling over the video to see if the controls will appear. The controls only appear when you roll over the video with your mouse cursor and then disappears after a little bit. It's the way Vimeo works.
joanmonse
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of joanmonse
Hi, Potty the Pirate!
I'm sorry but, I've not posted the video on Youtube, due the 10 minutes video upload limitation. Moreover, on VIMEO the video and sound quality it's superb!

I hope you can watch it soon.
Thanks again!
Best,
Joan Monse
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4620 Posts

Joan - still can't get it to play.....I prefer You tube, though of course you do have a time limit. But I wonder if many folks would watch a whole clip if it were longer than 10 mins. I'm just in the process of uploading a new demo to You Tube, but it's also not happening.....
On the subject of reading the location of the object, remember that you can go UNDERNEATH the hand, as well as over it. So it really doesn't matter if the spectator's hand is palm up, or palm down. I use "The Relic", and find the PK ring that's supplied is easily adequate to read a spec's hand, though as mentioned above, having a PK ring AND a PK watch would make things very easy for the performer.
For me though, the watches offered just wouldn't be right....
To take this thread in a slightly different direction, what OTHER methods for achieving this effect do you guys use? The old "white knuckle" method still works....and there are many others. I always find that it's beneficial to have multiple outs for these kind of effects, especially when performing in an informal setting.
Potty Smile
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4019 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
I use the good ole sensor technologies Smile Much more hands off and one can differentiate between different objects. There are lots of gimmickless versions of which hand is it in methods but they are never 100%. I prefer the gimmicked 100% methods which I can be in total control as to what the hits are and what the "misses" will be. I find if you miss the first time and then hit it 3 times consecutively, it creates good theatre. Currently I've been "missing" the first time, then hitting it two times in a row, then introduce two additional objects in which I will "sense" which object is where to end the effect with a bang.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Ron Frank and Dress Model Child's Play watch (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL