The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How to lose $500 very quickly (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nosher
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Nosher
Escapemaster-in-chief from all sorts of houdingplaces - Finnegans Wake
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Might that be the stupidest, least thought out, contest ever?

Some related links:

http://www.newdream.net/~sage/old/numbers/approxpi.htm

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/PiApproximations.html
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
715 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
Should have been a very short contest. Wish I'd have seen it when it first started.
Yes, I am a magician. No I did not make my hare (hair) disappear... it just took early retirement.
Nosher
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Nosher
Quote:
On 2009-03-14 22:15, David Bilan wrote:
Should have been a very short contest. Wish I'd have seen it when it first started.

Yes. It's like finding a really good web app, reading all the way to the last line that says "We are no longer issuing Beta invites for this application, but you can submit your email to....".
Escapemaster-in-chief from all sorts of houdingplaces - Finnegans Wake
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2009-03-14 21:43, Nosher wrote:
http://www.kaidy.com/PiReward.htm

How did you find this? Presumably, the contest was intended to generate interest their products. How did the word get out?

BTW, the winning solution is interesting insofar as it looks original.He appears to have simply doubled a string of digits from the decimal expansion, multiplied by the appropriate power of 10, then put it over the denominator 2x10^whatever. This is at least more innovative than googling for the centuries-old better solutions.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
You guys lost me a long time ago. When you say pi, I say apple or cherry?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2009-03-15 10:46, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

BTW, the winning solution is interesting insofar as it looks original.He appears to have simply doubled a string of digits from the decimal expansion, multiplied by the appropriate power of 10, then put it over the denominator 2x10^whatever. This is at least more innovative than googling for the centuries-old better solutions.

John

When mathematicians look for fractional expansions of numbers like Pi, I think there is some implicit understanding that the number of digits in the terms appearing in the numerator and denominator should be less than the final number of correct digits in the decimal expansion of the fraction. Or something more or less like that.

Otherwise, why not just go with an entry of this sort:

314159265358979323846/100000000000000000000 ?

Of course, that's why I think the contest was pretty ill thought out.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2009-03-15 14:43, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-03-15 10:46, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

John

When mathematicians look for fractional expansions of numbers like Pi, I think there is some implicit understanding that the number of digits in the terms appearing in the numerator and denominator should be less than the final number of correct digits in the decimal expansion of the fraction. Or something more or less like that.

Otherwise, why not just go with an entry of this sort:

314159265358979323846/100000000000000000000 ?

Of course, that's why I think the contest was pretty ill thought out.

That's my point. He did this (gamewise) clever ploy, but added the cute touch of doubling numerator and denominator at a place where the numerator rounded up, so that he ended up in lowest terms. Mathematically a trivial move, but in terms of the competition, it was ok.

Being contaminated by education, my first thoughts went to convergents of a continued fraction. But that's why I don't win contests like this.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How to lose $500 very quickly (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL