The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » My New and Improved Manipulation Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mleskanic
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of mleskanic
Hey everyone,

I have changed my manipulation routine around a bit and any advice would be appreciated.

I would redo this video to get rid of some flashes, the poor backdrop, and some tongue movement lol... but I broke my thumb the other day so I can't.

here it is, I hope you like it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvfFDCpQxWE

Any help would be greatly appreciated... Especially a fun finale!

Matt
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Matt, you reming me of me when I was your age and didn't know I looked like a kid because I was a kid. Smile

Since you're asking, here are a few thoughts.

- Act your age. There's nothing wrong with being a kid. Just relax.

- Don't move around so much. Every time you move from one side to the other, there should be a reason for it.

- Cut down on the handwashing.

- I got the feeling you had a TV monitor set up and were watching yourself as you did the routine. It's great to look at the audience, but look at what you're doing too. When you look at the audience, take a beat and smile. It's called pacing.

- Slow down a bit.

- Have a table or something from which to pick up stuff and drop the cards. Makes the act look much neater.

- Keep practicing. Don't put the act out for the world to see until you're ready.

Hope that helps.

George
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
mleskanic
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of mleskanic
Thanks George,

I'll definitely try to act my age a bit more. I created this to get rid of the table because in my opinion, the magic for the audience is they don't know where all of the cards are coming from so I'm not sure if I'll use a table or not.

Thanks,

Matt
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I can certainly understand your not wanting them to know where the stuff is coming from. However, dropping stuff on the floor not only looks messy, but also creates the question of who's going to pick it all up. It's rather undignified for a magician to have to get down on his hands and knees after his act and clean up the stuff. Smile
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Roland Henning
View Profile
Special user
Kiel, Germany
511 Posts

Profile of Roland Henning
Just one thing.... you are totally concentrated on the moves... that is why you completely loose your face. Your tongue wiggles all around. Fix that. You facial expressions during the performance must also be rehearsed, as well as the sleights.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Matt,

Listen intently to both George and Roland. They know what they are talking about. George makes his living in the theater, and Roland is a very brilliant performer.

Most people seeking that kind of advice, pay dearly for it.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
mleskanic
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of mleskanic
Alright I definitely will.

George: I didn't realize that you suggested using the table for the mess on the ground, I think I will definitely use a hat or box of some kind to let my cards fall in.

Roland: As for the tongue movement... This routine was in my head, but I had never done it before so this was the first time. It was hard to concentrate on the presentation because as I said, this was the first time I performed it.

I would refilm this to get rid of the tongue stuff, because that only happened because the routine was new, but I broke my thumb so unfortunatly I can't.

Thanks for all of the help,

Matt
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Matt,
The act definitely shows potential. I agree with the comments of the others about eliminating some (if not all) of the handwashing. When your thumb has healed, it would be nice to see a new video incorporating some of the changes you mention and that the others suggest. I personally don't care for any magic where anything is placed in the mouth, although I know a lot of manipulators are "enamored" with the production of cards from the mouth. To my mind I imagine a deck that has been handled by 4 people in a card game and being conseqequently full of germs. Cards are meant to be held by hands. That's why the metaphor "poker hand" is used.
----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
Matt,

Your routine is going to kick. I personally think the tongue action is a great addition, but it should probably go. : )

So here are some specific thoughts. It's a little odd to be giving you advice since your skill is so much higher than mine. But, I have an M.F.A. in acting and have done a lot of work in theater over the years, so I have a decent eye for performance. Anyway here goes...

It seems like you're stalling for a few seconds at the beginning in order to produce that first card when the music kicks in. Why not assume that you've just had your introduction and take a few seconds to acknowledge your audience with a little bow and/or wave (subtly shows empty hands) then strike your attention-getting pose and produce the card. You could even start with clean hands and steal it once you're ready -- it's only one card, right?

Then you've got quite a while before the next big music punch where you produce it again. That's when a lot the aforementioned hand washing happens. Maybe tighten that up a bit so that you reproduce it earlier and then the music beat happens when you snap it to the other hand for the first time.

Then...don't pass up the opportunity to produce your silk from a body load! It's so beautiful to see a silk unfurl from what was assumed to be an empty hand. Gives you huge misdirection to steal the deck from a clip near your belt somewhere.

Your fans are gorgeous. Don't do them all tight up against your body. Reach way out across yourself and fan one or two with a fully extended arm.

Diminishing cards: pressure fan is great. Thumb fan should be smaller than normal size. (In a non-speaking routine, the cards have to be WAY smaller for the audience to see a difference.) Small fan can be a lot smaller too. (Thumb in dead-center of deck or even a bit higher.) Vanish looked great. What about making a movement to fan the invisible cards before revealing the hand to be empty?

Once the big fan is back, take a bow. You're about half way through, and the audience will be looking for a chance to applaud. You already give them a little cue with your hand, but why not take a beat to really bow and relax for a second. Gives more definition to the piece.

I think the interlock production should come next. (I know that presents some problems with the number of cards.) But even though this is a knuckle busting move for you, it's not that dramatic for the audience, so it's a good place to start building again. When you get to your split fans and perfect productions, it really gets exciting. I think you should be purposeful about building towards that.

Once you've really got the routine technically comfortable (if that's possible!), I think you should work on some intentions with the split fans and card productions. You can't be neutral about this miracle that's occurring. You either need to be surprised, annoyed, or proud that you are orchestrating this phenomenon. (Or something else that I haven't thought of.) I think proud and maybe slightly amazed at yourself fits with your style/character.

The ending sequence needs some thought. I think you should introduce another silk. (I love silks.) Fan with right hand way out to one side. Reach over with left hand to take the cards. Lower the cards with your left hand revealing a silk in right. Spread out silk and then whisk it away to reveal...? Jumbo fan? Throw streamers? A peacock? A full costume change? Your lovely assistant? : )

Hope this gives you some ideas. You already know I'm really impressed with your work. I wouldn't put so much thought into this if I didn't think the routine had huge potential. If you were closer I'd ask for lessons. : )

-Dan
mleskanic
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of mleskanic
Wow! Thank you so much for the awesome advice Dan! I completely agree with everything you said 100 percent and you are completely right! I will definitely build the split fans up and go out in a nice finale. I will also cut down on the hand washing, and other stuff.

Thanks so much,

Matt

Dan: If you ever need help with one of your routines I'd be more than happy to help. Hopefully I'll see you at the conclave
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I know very little about card manip, but from what I saw, it is coming out very nice. I think a little bit more work on the actual presentation of it is needed, body movement, facial expression etc.

Let me ask this, what is the music? I like it alot.
-Matt
karthik
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of karthik
Lots of great advice here...nice going! Btw I like the music too...awesome..
mleskanic
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of mleskanic
I got it off one of my dad's cd's, so I'm not sure what it's called
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
Found out in another thread. It is called "Croatian Rhapsody"
-Matt
C Christian
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of C Christian
I think you have a good thing going there Matt, I would heed everyones advice. The only this I would add is That it seems you played to the monitor which is fine. But you want to practice Like you are on a 50 foot stage to a crowed of 50,000 when you have that in your head, you will be amazed as to what you will do differently. I love your facial expressions but hide the tongue most definitely. Cheers Chris
mleskanic
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of mleskanic
Yes I definitely will lol.

I filmed this soon before I broke my thumb so I would've refilmed it and Not have done all that weird tongue stuff.
karthik
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of karthik
Quote:
On 2009-03-17 10:46, Matthew W wrote:
Found out in another thread. It is called "Croatian Rhapsody"

yup.. croatian rhapsody by Maksim.. thanks Matt for the info!
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1634 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Matt,

Other than being a Leafs fan....I think you did great (I'm a Ducks fan). Smile

I don't currently do a manipulation act (I have been playing around with card fan productions for the past several years) but I agree with what the other are saying regarding the tongue and looking into the monitor. Unfortunately I don't know much about routining an act like this so I can't offer advice there.

I don't know how old you are but I think you have a great start. It's refreshing to see a "younger performer" that has a great attitude and is willing to listen to advice from others.

Keep up the good work!!!!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
First of all I agree get rid of sticking your tongue out. It is not just a nuisance watching it, but it also distracts from the magic. It makes it look like you are not even a kid yet.

One time in the middle somewhere it easily shows your left hand was not clean. Your fingers were too far apart.

It looks like you are time to start putting together a professional promo video. Do not show any more of your shows unless the atmosphere is professional next time. For example: Your outfit, backdrop, lighting, camera angle, etc.

Have different clippings of you performing the act in a few places. Edit out that early part where you walk to your right so get the silk. You will lose your audience attention from that pause.

I like your handeling of the manipulations. It looks like you have been watching Jeff McBrides' DVDs.

When you have it all together, show us a different recording. Smile
mleskanic
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of mleskanic
Thanks,

This wasn't ever meant to be a promo/professional video because it was just a routine that I through together for the camera to see.

This was the first time I had ever completely performed this routine, so I was concentrating really hard on what to do next, that is why everyone I did the annoying tongue stuff, but I never do it for my old routine because I know all the moves.

I would have definitely filmed it again if I knew I was going to but it on the Café, but I broke my thumb and I needed feedback on my routine before I did it for a competition (at the end of march)

Thank you everyone for your help,

Matt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » My New and Improved Manipulation Routine (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL