The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Chunk of silver (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
I have been working on an effect where a coin is crushed into nothing but a small chunk of silver. I have an idea of how I want to acomplish this but my gimmick is being a pain in the butt. So far what it is, is some PK putty roleld up inside a small piece of tin foil, then compressed even more with a hammer into the shape I want it. I have noticed that the edges of the previously flattened tin foil won't stay down where they are. THis makes it ver difficult to do my sleights with it because it snags and starts to peel open. I have tried to sand it, paint over it, glue it, stain it etc. But nothing so far has kept it down. Is there anything I can do that will keep this in it's shape?
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Why don't you try something other than foil, like an actual blop of silver.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
I don't have the money right now to actually buy a real chunk of silver. Plus, I would be too afraid of something happening to it. My initial goal was to create a way around that and still deceive the audience with a small piece of tin foil.
remote guy
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
539 Posts

Profile of remote guy
How about melting some solder?
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2009-03-16 22:15, remote guy wrote:
How about melting some solder?

That's EXACTLY what I was going to say!!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
A "blob" of silver would be worth less than $30. Today's spot price is just 12.80 per ounce. So 2 or 3 ounces really isn't that much. I'm sure many of your effects cost more than that, especially coin effects.

But I really like the solder idea a lot!
Bernie Balloons
View Profile
Elite user
N.Y.C.
480 Posts

Profile of Bernie Balloons
Try some silver leaf it is not that costly and it would form to any shape you want Also it will not add any weight to the prop
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1305 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Aren't 1964 Kennedy halves silver (at least partly)? But yeah, the solder would look good.
Sent from my Typewriter
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Mark, I can puddle some 316 Stainless steel for you. $5.00 and free shipping.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
Where can I find some solder and where can I actually buy chunks of silver? If I can't get those the way I want them, I might take you up on your offer TheGreatNipullini Smile
remote guy
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
539 Posts

Profile of remote guy
You can buy solder at any hardware store. Your also going to need a torch to melt it. 95/5 solder which is the solder you will most likely find at Home Depot melts at a little lower than 500 degrees F. If you don't have a torch or can't borrow one I would take Nippulini up on his offer.

Nick
Paul Prater
View Profile
Elite user
North Little Rock, AR
483 Posts

Profile of Paul Prater
You don't have to have a torch. A tin can on a stove top or heating element will melt it. I cast pewter this way regularly. I use an old can and a single electric heating element. Pick the can up with pliers and pour.
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
How would you guys form the molten solder? By pouring it onto a cold wet rag, or into a dish of water, what?....
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Be sure to use solid core solder.

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7383 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Printers lead is also a very good substitute.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
raywitko
View Profile
Special user
western Pa
527 Posts

Profile of raywitko
Quote:
On 2009-03-18 11:36, Chance wrote:
How would you guys form the molten solder? By pouring it onto a cold wet rag, or into a dish of water, what?....

Years ago when I made one I just let it puddle on a piece of stainless. It only took a few minutes to complete.
Ray
Sometimes it seems there are more than one of me.

Tabman USA
magicdmv
email me at [email]fursclass@magicdmv.com[/email]
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
Do you think I can heat up my chunk of aluminum foil in a tin can on the stove and have the peices melt together? I have PK Putty inside it, would that really matter. It says not to microwave it. If anything I can just make another one made just out of aluminum foil
Paul Prater
View Profile
Elite user
North Little Rock, AR
483 Posts

Profile of Paul Prater
Mark-

I haven't tried to melt aluminum on a stove, but I don't see any way it is possible. Aluminum has a melting point of 1220.58 F. (I love Wikipedia). I don't know about your stovetop, but mine won't come near that heat.

Solder has different melting points depending on the particular compound, but typically it melts around 300-400 degrees, well within the range of stovetop.

Also as to getting the blob, just pour it on anything. A piece of old wood will work, the concrete floor, whatever. It cools and hardens quickly. I only recommend those because when I spill some or I overfill the mold, it goes on the wooden bench or my concrete shop floor. I end up with blobs. They get remelted and poured.

If it is something you plan to use over and over, I would take The Great Nippulini up on his offer and get some stainless for $5. That is probably less that you will pay for the solder.
rhiro
View Profile
Regular user
Southern California
165 Posts

Profile of rhiro
I would avoid lead or solder if you can (health issues). There are more benign alternatives, and you don't have to destroy the mood by telling your spectator, "You might want to wash your hands now..." ;-)

I'd go for the stainless. I think it would hold its looks better over time.

Ross
sb
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of sb
This is a little off base, but may help someone reading this thread to brainstorm something else....

There used to be an effect marketed called "the mint"... It was your idea in reverse.

You started with a small silver cube, that you rolled into a silver ball (marble). Then you "smushed" the ball into a flat (but blank) piece of silver, then you magically printed (imprinted) one side of the blank disc, then you printed the other side. You were left with a regular half dollar.

scott
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Chunk of silver (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL