The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Man they got some good contracts over there at A.I.G. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
It should be noted tha the San Jose Mercury, my home paper for over 35 years, is extremely and always pro business.

I think that most intelligent people know that the bonuses were set up awhile ago and only an idiot would threaten someone but there is a simple fact that AIG's management should have looked at the situation and realize that retreat isn't defeat. What they are doing is like the execs flying private jets to ask for money from Washington, it is like those banks not cancelling exotic meeting locals while pleading poverty. It shows the detachment that these people have from the working, or now often not working, masses. AIG is, in a sense, asking why can't the starving eat cake. The smart thing would have been to bury the bonus program right now and send out PR releases with BS like "Our management give up hundreds of thousands in bonuses to support the survival of the company and its investors, the people of America!". Then when things calm down they take their money and giggle all the way to the bank.

How a company gives contractual bonuses is still a mystery to me. I always viewed bonuses as sharing profits due to growth and reduced cost, not just a way to hide additional salary. Oh wait, they all likely get a minimal 'salary' that they release then stack on the bonuses and stock options. Greedy mother f'ers man. Listen, I'm thankful that when I got laid off, very grateful, that I got the package I got because it has kept me afloat over two years now. I think it is terrible how some lose their jobs and get nothing but a couple weeks pay if that while the CEO who screwed things up might resign and walk away with millions. I've known a lot of CEOs and most are not worth it at all, some are. Engineers are worth more.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
http://www.examiner.com/x-268-Right-Side......from-AIG

John...NO...I mean that the entire boondoggle and misuse of TAXPAYER money is being slight of handed by calling attention to a rather comparatively minor bit about the Bonuses. As a magician you should 'get it'.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Ok Doug. I think I see your point. I'm still unsure of the outrage at foreign debts being paid, though. Debt is debt, so far as I can see.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
There IS NO outrage! That was my point...no one (the public) knows the details because of the MISDIRECTION. Should there be 'outrage'? I really don't know. The show is the dance being tapped out by our phoney politicians to spin all this mess in their favor when THEY are the cause.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Big Jeff
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of Big Jeff
It took bush 8 years to do all that cr@p. obama hasn't been in office 2 months.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Question: If these AIG bonuses are supposed to be so outrageous, Will Obama, McCain, and Dodd Return Their AIG Bonuses?

Quote:
AIG employees kept doling out donations to politicians, including presidential candidate Barack Obama, after getting bailed out with federal funds last year, raising the question whether those politicians will now return the money.

AIG executives gave more than $630,000 during the 2008 political cycle even as the company was falling apart.

According to the Center for Responsive Politics, which tracks campaign finance reports, more than $120,000 of that money was donated after AIG received its first $85 billion in federal bailout funds last September. The company has since received a total of $170 billion in taxpayer cash to prevent its collapse.

Their generosity included more than $23,000 to Obama’s campaign.

Both Obama and Republican presidential candidate John McCain raked in much larger sums from AIG earlier in the year. Obama collected a total of $130,000 from AIG in 2008, while McCain accepted a total of $59,499.

This raises two key questions: Was any bailout money used to make political contributions? And will the politicians who received AIG cash give the money back?
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I recently saw a report on Faux News on populist "tea party" protests some folks are using to show their displeasure with the bail-outs and the gov't.

But something tells me these guys don't quite get it...

*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Decaff the budget quick before the teabags drop!
...to all the coins I've dropped here
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2009-03-18 19:11, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Decaff the budget quick before the teabags drop!

That's sound monetary policy in MY book... and pass the cream!
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Lol, the photo is priceless. Is it real or some sort of photoshop job?

Of course, we shouldn't rule out the possibility that they really meant what they said.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2009-03-18 19:28, balducci wrote:
Lol, the photo is priceless. Is it real or some sort of photoshop job?

Of course, we shouldn't rule out the possibility that they really meant what they said.

it's "real"...

And even if they DO mean what they said, seeing as their "symbol" (the tea party) historically was against exactly what (I think) they appear to be for, Then exactly what the heck DO they mean !?!?!

Or are they just raging against their (perceived) machine...
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Just curious, but if the banks don't have any money like they say,
how are they going to cash all those million dollar checks?

:)

Tom
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
The banks have money, they just don't want to lend it to people which means people are not buying consumer goods and manufacturers are not building new cars and washers and dryers which means those companies are not buying the parts used to build those consumer goods which means the part manufacturers are not buying equipment used in the manufacturing and testing of the parts which means the makers of the equipment used in manufacturing are not purchasing the higher end parts from those manufacturers who are laying off employees who cannot afford to purchase consumer goods.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

What's the Fed and State tax on a million dollars earned income? I mean doesn't most of that fall right back into the economy the way lottery money does?
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2009-03-18 20:01, TomBoleware wrote:
Just curious, but if the banks don't have any money like they say,
how are they going to cash all those million dollar checks?

:)

Tom

you just blew my mind, dude Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
"The fact is that the bill the president signed, which protected the AIG bonuses and others, was written behind closed doors by **** leaders of the House and Senate. There was no transparency," said Sen. * *, *-Iowa, the senior ***** on the Senate Finance Committee.

Now for those who are still full of misdirected anger - you been played. The bill was passed by the house and senate and president who all knew about this in advance. How do you feel now?

Source: http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/arti......970OT3G0
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
The same as I felt when the 43rd president and Paulson encouraged the passing of the TARP program--no oversight, no nothing, no one knows what happened to that money, nor does it need to be accounted for.

Did I miss the thread on that one?
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2009-03-18 23:19, landmark wrote:
The same as I felt when the 43rd president and Paulson encouraged the passing of the TARP program--no oversight, no nothing, no one knows what happened to that money, nor does it need to be accounted for.

Did I miss the thread on that one?

It went where this one is destined to go -Oh wait! This one is critical of Obama, not Bush, so it will probably stick around for quite some time...
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Who is being critical of Obama? People are critical of AIG, in the view of a lot of people we own their arses now. The people who are not gaining anything they can see saved AIG from death, they are our $@$#$) and better act like it dang it!
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2009-03-19 02:34, MagicSanta wrote:
Who is being critical of Obama? People are critical of AIG, in the view of a lot of people we own their arses now. The people who are not gaining anything they can see saved AIG from death, they are our $@$#$) and better act like it dang it!

after 29 years of financial de-regulation they're going to laugh all the way to the nationalized bank and deposit the money we gave them like fools...

They're not giving anything back unless they are forced to, which they won't be, not in any meaningful way -because they KNOW they can get away with it, again and again.

Maybe all they need to do is spend a few more million dollars that we gave them on another PR firm to tell us how we should think about all this...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Man they got some good contracts over there at A.I.G. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL