The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Rolled silk on a pin (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
A few sources recommended loading a rolled silk by skewering it onto a needle or pin. Well...I could not seem to do pierce the silk! It was like a magic trick in itself. This was an 18 inch, 5 momme silk. What am I missing?

I ended up using my universal clip from Bob Sanders, and pinning it upside down at the back of my waist. Even though the production of the silk from my hand was not intended to be a magical effect, it was still unexpected and I heard some Oohhs from the audience. : )

Oh...and while we're at it. This was part of my 20th Century silk routine. I debated quite a while about how to vanish the silk. I practiced using a palmo like a TT, but it looked a little suspicious to me and I couldn't find a good way to ditch it. (I didn't want to use a wand.) I ended up using a simple plastic and elastc pull that I acquired along the way and had never used. It worked well, but I was a little nervous about it. Do you guys use pulls? What are the best for this purpose?

How would you all go about vanishing an 18" silk when everyone is looking at you pushing it into your hand?

-Daniel
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Daniel,

I combine 20th Century Silk with Silk to Egg. It solves two major problems!

#1. The 18" silk vanishes when the "egg" is produced

#2. The 20th Century Silk explains where the silk went when the real egg is produced

Thus, it becomes a routine instead of just two separate tricks.

Catch me next week at the Cavalcade of Magic in Eureka Springs, Arkansas (the Arkansas side from Branson, MO). I will perform it in my stage act.

Scheme!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- I also know that you have a great Silk to Egg!
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
Thanks Bob, I know and love your solution. I contemplated borrowing it for a show I did yesterday at the local senior center. (See my post in The Tricks Are On Me.) However, I didn't want to add too much new material so soon.

By the way, 20th Century Silks with a volunteer went over really well. Here is my contribution to the effect:

When I vanish the blue silk, I blow through my hand and catch the now invisible silk as a blue light (d'lite). I steal a 2nd d'lite and toss the light back and forth and into the volunteer's ear and out the other before landing it in their fist. When they dramatically open their fist, the blue silk is not there, but I decide it must be in their other hand (which is holding the wine glass with the two tied red silks). We each take a corner of one of the red silks and pull to reveal the blue silk tied between them.

The d'lites as the invisible blue silk got some good oohs and ahhs.

-Daniel
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
Whoops, the universal clip I referenced is from MagicIans, not Bob Sanders. However, the gorgeous and apparently impenetrable silks are from Bob.
-Daniel
tstark
View Profile
Loyal user
Arizona
267 Posts

Profile of tstark
I have one of the older style silk holders if you are interested. As for the handling for a "Palmo", these were designed as color changing gimmicks. Do you mean Stillwell which had several variants. If you want any thoughts on the Stillwell and its uses send me a PM.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
There are a variety of methods for vanishing 18" silks and larger making use of gimmicks you can make yourself from Dollar Store stuff. You'll find an e-Book with 8 of my favorites in the Dollar Store Book 2 section of my site.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Rolled silk on a pin (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL