The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Dry Hands (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
dbuckalew
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of dbuckalew
What product would you suggest for those how have dry mitts? I have tried some commercial products, but they don't seem effetive about half way through a set.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Dry hands has been discussed several times before.
I use Cornhuskers Lotion but like you it is only temporary.

A Café search for 'dry hands' should get you more discussions.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I use Corn Huskers Lotion. Usually found at Wal-Mart for about $1.25 per bottle on the bottom shelf...collecting in dust. When I'm out, I go to Wal-Mart and buy ALL they have...which is usually about 3 or 4 bottles.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I use a mild hand soap, dry my hands 80-90% then massage in Neutrogena non scent hand cream. Just a smidge is all it takes and after it sets in for a min. I'm ready to rock!
JazzyMatt
View Profile
New user
Texas
24 Posts

Profile of JazzyMatt
Father Photius made a suggestion on a thread like this a lil' while back using a parifin bath. I beleive mine is Dr. Scholles, it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. It leaves the hands silky soft and takes what ever pain you had away and is quite nice. They make one for men and women.
Matt
ttorres
View Profile
Special user
Rock Hill, SC
513 Posts

Profile of ttorres
Try using a very simple formula of glycerin (C3H8O3), rose water and rubbing alcohol. All of this can be purchased at you local drug store. Use equal amounts of glycerin and rose water the alcohol is added to give you a desired dryness. You will have to experiment with exactly how much works for you . However, a good starting point is three equal parts of each.
...the magic that creates Memories!
rawdawg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
685 Posts

Profile of rawdawg
Is there an internal solution to dry hands? Like drink more water or something?
One time, when I was young, I botched a sleight so bad, Vernon, Marlo & Miller rolled over in their graves. But I didn't see Elmsley, probably because he was behind the others.
Pauldela
View Profile
Special user
U.K
882 Posts

Profile of Pauldela
I have dry hands - I wash them with soapy water regualy, apply baby cream once to twice a day. My hands still get dry... But I deal with it, after all I may have to prefer anytime! So I need to be used to it.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Yes, hydration is essential!
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
889 Posts

Profile of Scott Fridinger
The key is in what ttorres said. The glycerine.

If you want the product that I have heard most professionals recommend it is Golden Touch. Can't be bought in stores, only online. (At least I have never seen a store with it).

http://www.chamberlainlotion.com/locate.php

The problem with creams is that you are replacing one slippery condition, dry hands, with another, the lotion. Corn Huskers and The Golden Touch are more tacky. Corn huskers doesn't last long, The Golden Touch will last you all night.

I also have been recently shown a small bar that you rub on your hands. I don't know what it is called, or how to get it, yet. It was actually quite good.
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Sleight of Hand, Sleight of Mind
Chamberlain
View Profile
Special user
629 Posts

Profile of Chamberlain
I use Sortkwik when Im practicing second dealing (must-make-brief-smaller), which was something Martin Nash recommended - he puts a dab on his earlobe so he can just rub his ear to apply more.

Also I assure you I have nothing to do with that lotion listed above...
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Chamberlain,

I used to use SortKwik for the exact same reason but have since found out it contains alcohol which dries out your hands! You may as well try the Golden Touch since you share a name with the company! Smile

Dinger,
The bar you refer to is most likely a glycerin soap! Finby's (sp) is marketed as a saddle soap or leather treatment and comes in a 2X8X1 inch bar sold in western tack and feed stores!
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
889 Posts

Profile of Scott Fridinger
Mickey,

Thanks, someone had some, wouldn't tell me what it was, and I am not much of Cowboy (living in AZ doesn't make you one, especially when you are from PA)
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Sleight of Hand, Sleight of Mind
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I also use cornhuskers, I've done the Marty Nash behind the ear stuff, but one of the best things, and I'm not kidding, Vagasil.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5441 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
I think that Golden Touch is by far the best (at least, for me). I have a bottle of Cornhuskers but never use it anymore. Occasionally I will also use Zim's Crack Cream as a conditioner/lotion, but prior to any card or coin work I rely on Golden Touch. Other than that... drink LOTS of water.
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1906 Posts

Profile of slyhand
I have tried everything and I finally came upon a perfect solution for me. I mix 1 part glycerin and 2 parts alcohol based hand sanitizer. Shake it up in a small bottle and put a small amount on your hands, rub together for a bit. The sanitizer not only sanitizes your hands but helps spread the glycerin out evenly. You get the perfect amount of "grab" and it lasts quite awhile. Funny, I used a freshly emptied minty mouthwash bottle. It had a tad bit left inside so now my hands smell minty fresh as well. Really!
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
JohnG
View Profile
V.I.P.
370 Posts

Profile of JohnG
I've tried everything and here's what works wonders for me.
It's called HandClens (2 in 1 sanitizer and moisterizer). The foam works best. Rub it in and you get the perfect amount of lasting tackiness - plus you hands are clean and germ free.

http://woodwardlabs.com/products.asp?id=10

John G
John Guastaferro

Facebook fan page: www.facebook.com/MagicJohnG
Twitter: twitter.com/johngmagic
YouTube: www.youtube.com/johngmagic
Email: johnGmagic@mac.com
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
869 Posts

Profile of jskalon
My skin is extremely dry and slick. I have tried a lot of different things and "Working Hands" works best for me. It's available at Walgreens (in my area). If they don't have it, I've used "Healthy Feet" by the same company. It's pretty much the same product.
Coins are a different story. I haven't found anything that works well for me.
Jack Skalon

"That's my story and I'm stickin' to it"
Bertrand Thornley
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa, FL
278 Posts

Profile of Bertrand Thornley
I have the opposite problem. Any advice for sticky or sweaty hands?
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business." Tom Robbins

Personal Revelation: I'm not a hippopotamus
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1906 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Slush powder?
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Dry Hands (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL