We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Meeting Dean Dill (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sobrien
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of sobrien
Meeting Dean Dill for the first time:

So I travel for my job and was in KS on Monday when I got the call from my boss asking if I could make a quick trip to LA to help out. So I jump on the plane and go do my thing knowing that at some point I will be able to carve out a couple of hours to enjoy my hobby but where would I spend that time was the question.

Having purchased many items from Dean but never having had a chance to meet face to face I elected to go see first hand who Dean is and what his shop is really like. Would it really be all that I have read / heard about -- never knowing who is going to be there but always Magic happening or would it be a bust? Would Dean really be someone who goes out of his way to make you feel welcome or someone who just wants to sell you something? Would Dean even take the time to perform or demo something?

Well, all I can say is I was made to feel like I was visiting with an old friend who I had not seen in years. Dean welcomed me into his shop, offering drinks, snacks or anything that he had he was willing to share even his knowledge of Magic but most… just his time never in a hurry. And were there other Magicians present? Yes, there were (3) other people at his shop who were equally willing to share their time and thoughts as well. I have been a performer for over (35) years but saw real Magic Wednesday 3/18/09 of this week. To keep this short I will not go into everything I saw in the 1 ˝ hours I spent at his shop but I was not disappointed.

Did Dean make a pitch to sell me something NO! Actually just the opposite I had to tell him I wanted to make a purchase but only after seeing his new effect (I will not say anything about it as a review by someone more capable than I is coming to the Café soon). But I will say it is a miracle and no matter how good that review is it will never equal seeing it for yourself just awesome and amazing!

In closing Dean thanks for taking a 50 year old guy back to his childhood memories of what Magic and a Magic shop should be and were to me years ago when I was getting started with Bob Hutchings in Jacksonville Fl. I feel like I have a friend for life, thanks Dean.

Sincerely,
Shawn O'Brien
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
1943 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to here about his new effect coming out.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Several years ago I went to the Castle, primarily to see Dean in the Close-Up Gallery. Circumstances conspired against me and I got to the door just as he finished his last show. I went in and chatted with him for a minute, and mentioned how disappointing it was to have missed his show. Irene Larsen had just walked in.

"Sit down," said Dean.

He then did his entire show for Irene and me!

Dean's a class act, no question.
djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Nashville
660 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
Quote:
On 2009-03-20 18:22, S2000magician wrote:
Several years ago I went to the Castle, primarily to see Dean in the Close-Up Gallery. Circumstances conspired against me and I got to the door just as he finished his last show. I went in and chatted with him for a minute, and mentioned how disappointing it was to have missed his show. Irene Larsen had just walked in.

"Sit down," said Dean.

He then did his entire show for Irene and me!

Dean's a class act, no question.

That is one of those stories that makes you happily jealous for the other person. That's a great story man.
-DJ
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I met Dean at a mini convention at Hocus Pocus last year and I found him to be as charming in person as he appears on his DVD's! He was demoing his Triangle, Explosion and Dean's Box (mainly) and yet he took time to visit with everyone around. I saw him again recently at WMS and it was like running into an old friend I'd known for years! A prince of a guy in my opinion!

Dean's latest creation is UNBELIEVABLE! He absolutely fried every magician he showed it to!

I hope to run into him again at the Magic Castle swap meet coming up!

Mick
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1615 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Is his new trick, "Revelation," available outside of conventions? I don't see it on the site yet.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Dean is a tremendous guy, great magician, and gives a pretty mean haircut too. He is the kind of guy that gives magic a good name.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I'm sure a quick e mail to Dean will get you the answer Bug! It's a totally kicka$$ trick!
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6583 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Back when I used to go to conventions, I met Dean in the dealers room. We talked a bit and I bought a few things from him and he GAVE me a couple of things for free, even though he had just met me.

A year or so later, I had a table in the dealers room a few tables down from Dean. He was selling his sponge ball routine as well as a few other items. This was one of the first conventions where he was selling Dean's Box. Anyway, every time he demo'd his sponge routine, he would say, "Before you buy this, go down a couple tables and ask Scott to show you his sponge routine. It's great. Then decide which one you want." He didn't have to do that, and the fact that he told people how much he thought of it really helped my sales.

At the same convention, he'd also call me over periodically to do my Aldo Colombini impression for some friends at his table. One time, he was talking to me and basically "interviewing" me as Aldo, and he was just smiling from ear to ear with a twinkle in his eye. It took me several minutes to realize that Aldo had walked up behind me and had been listening to the whole thing! Aldo and I are friends, so it was all good, but that was a pretty good practical joke.

Yep, Dean is a gem of the earth, no doubt!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8692 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I've never met Dean in person but I like the guy...Seems like the real McKoy! Smile

Look forward to meeting him one day and any day that is will be a good day I'm sure for magic and friendship. Smile

Some folks have such real magic and Dean seems to have that and then some. Smile
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
That's one of the great things about magic. So many people are friendly and helpful, folks move quickly from "I've heard of them" to "friend" (if only distant).

I look forward to meeting Dean as well. I'm just investigating his stuff, having only recently taken up coin magic in earnest.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
I first met Dean Dill many years ago, when a close mutual friend took me to Dean's Glendale shop. So recently, when another good friend of mine - who is currently on a job in San Diego - asked me for local recommendations, I told him to spend 3 hours on the freeway and go see Dean at his shop (I called ahead to let Dean know he was coming). My friend spent several hours there, and later told me it was the high point of his ~15 years in magic.

Dean Dill is absolutely the real deal.

Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
dbuckalew
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of dbuckalew
Love Dean's effects and his generosity.

Don
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
I concur to any nice comments about Dean Dill. A great performer, a gentleman with an odd look, a welcoming person supported by some loyal friends who are, according to my own experience, geniuses.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
mballen11502
View Profile
Loyal user
Memphis, TN
202 Posts

Profile of mballen11502
I've dealt with Dean through email and he seems like a first-class guy to me despite the disputes between he and other magicians who are not to be named here!

If I ever get out that way, I will definitely make it a point to go by his shoppe.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Meeting Dean Dill (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL