The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Does any one know if there has ever been a side show school in the UK. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4415 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
I know that Harley does a school most years in teh US and that there are sideshiw schools in the USA. But I was wondering two things:-

1) has there ever been a sideshow school in the UK
2) do you think that it would be something that there would be any interest in?

Thinking that if someone was looking for a new venture and could set up a school would there be a demand for it.

Dave
The Curator of the Unusual
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Profile of The Curator of the Unusual
Yes, Go to Rotten's bar-bill list and pick out a Circus...Happy travels, I believe Harley started out on a Circus and so did I....Its called the "School of Hard Knocks"
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Don`t think there has been a school set up here,,,yet. As to interest ! None shown on this thread.

Regards Circus,,,I can only speak as I found. Having worked for Billy Smart, Bertram Mills, Carousel and appeared with Zippo (Once !) I think the only thing you would learn is how to work very hard for little or no return, how to sleep rough and not wash etc etc and in general turn into a very old knackered man very quickly.

As to learning the sideshow skills, the Fairground was the place to go, not Circus.

Once more I can only tell it the way I found it. Barry Walls (Worked for Keys and Allens) The parade shows were all over the place back in the 50`s and 60`s so that was the place to go for info.
Where to learn now !!! God knows ?

Ken.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5109 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Yes, I worked on a show for a couple of years. I was mascot for a baseball team, for a season before that.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Ken, I think it would be an excellent idea to at least LOOK into starting such a school. You could make some serious quid, as I'm sure there's lots of kids (not school kids, I mean younger than you) that would pay pay pay to learn from you. Seeing as how there is no such school today, you will have cornered the market.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Good thinking Nipps but how to is my problem. Me as a teacher !! Hell Im still learning.

BTW,,,everyones younger than me.
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-03-23 04:26, Kondini wrote:
I think the only thing you would learn is how to work very hard for little or no return, how to sleep rough and not wash etc etc and in general turn into a very old knackered man very quickly.

Ken.

In 1979 I started out on a Circus making $50 a week, For 23 years I traveled on Circuses.. Learned about tents, performed 5 different acts, learned the Busness...In 2003 I started a Sideshow with 3 banners, The Big circus Sideshow would not have grown so Big,So Fast without my Circus expierence, The Circus isn't for everyone....All others...Get a "Higley"....
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Nothing wrong with a Higley if you know how to work it. Its great as an extra to a performance act and cheap rent wise for larger shows.

The big ones over here,,,Nott Goose, Bridgewater etc etc charge rents which would never get recouped from a tented sideshow.
The world famous show corner at the Goose Fair is now empty where once stood Mouse Town, Scots Giant,Allens Snake and Lion shows etc etc,,,why, rents that's why.

Your so lucky to be making the deal over in the US.

Ken.
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Ken if you want to be a "Hobbyist" a Higley is GREAT!..If you want to be "SHOWMAN" then create your own niche...and own theory based on what others have done before AND..not being afraid to try something NEW and BETTER....
Evel Knievel

Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
No comment,,,been there done it.

OK Im a hobbyist (A successful one which to my mind is better than a failed Showman).

See, no contest the UK agrees with the US,,,,cos they gotta be right,,,right!
erikkloeker
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, Ohio
203 Posts

Profile of erikkloeker
I can think of more sideshow professionals (SHOWMEN) off the top of my head that own a Higley than I can count on both hands...
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Wrong...I do not have to be right...I just want to Learn..But with many "Systems and Ideas" No one system(Higley) is the magic egg...But rather a truckload of systems and Ideas broken down into what fits the Individual...This can only be accomplishised by the Sharing of info.....
Evel Knievel

View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-03-23 12:33, erikkloeker wrote:
I can think of more sideshow professionals (SHOWMEN) off the top of my head that own a Higley than I can count on both hands...

Really? Are you refering to the Gaff? or the system? I have never seen a Higley system on the MIDWAY even make the rent...In Poteet 2 years ago A Higley was set up Kitty corner from me by a Prominant Old Time Pitchman (Want photo's?) Blew outta there oweing money...Saw 2 old time pitchmen in Owattonna MN with the same settups....Askin me what they were doin wrong! (want Photo's Names?)....Please...
Evel Knievel

thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
I think Erik is referring to the gaff. I've seen dozens sold here... and unless Erik is counting with his, um... other extremities, a dozen is more than what he's got on both hands.

:)
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Yawn...All the REAL midway Showman I know, Consider them a Heat Score (Heat score: complaints from paying customers when used in this context)....,
Evel Knievel

Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5109 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Erik is just trying to count his hands, and today he's stuck in base two.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Harley...If I have to explain what I'm sayin...Can you explain what your sayin...Base 2 ??????.....
Evel Knievel

dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4415 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Its a method of counting more commonly known as Binary!

as in -

There are only 10 types of people
Those who understand binary and .......

Now where have I seen that recently?
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5109 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
0 and 1 are the base two numerals.

I guess, to be technical, Erik has 10 hands.

www.bladewalker.com
erikkloeker
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, Ohio
203 Posts

Profile of erikkloeker
I kept on trying to use this ( http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbvie......iew.jpg) but I can't reach my 3rd hand with my 6th hand.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Does any one know if there has ever been a side show school in the UK. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL