The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » How to leave stage for 35 seconds (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Doruk Ãœlgen
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Doruk Ãœlgen
Well, here is the situation;

I've been booked for an 12 minutes act,approx. 1000 audience. I was going to do 2 illusions myself and one with an assistant. Then for the company to keep the costs low,we dropped the one with the assistant. So I'll do 2 illusions myself and 1-2 minutes stage magic. The problem is;

The first illusion will last 4:15 minutes.
Then a 1-2 minute stage magic (which I have not decided what I'll do but it has to be visual,packs small)
Then the final illusion 3 minutes.

BUT after the first illusion I have to leave the stage for approx. 35 seconds to change my outfit. I require a special outfit for the first illusion and cannot go on with the same outfit for the rest of the show.

I'll not have an assistant with me so how will I not have a blank stage for 35 seconds ?

To leave the stage and get in with something in hand is ok but I'll do a silent act and when I leave the stage,people will think that my show is over and when I come back it will be awkward. So what do you think will cover this awkwardness ?
CCPCris
View Profile
Loyal user
Alabama
280 Posts

Profile of CCPCris
Have a short audio track explaning something, maybee the insperation behind one of your illusions with some music background, or maybee an audio track that plugs you as an entertainer
making the unreal, real...really!
Doruk Ãœlgen
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Doruk Ãœlgen
Thanks Cris for the input, that would work great in many occasions but this is an international show,all the audiences are from different countries,they didn't wanted me to speak in any language,but universal words may work(simple english everyone can understand).

Besides audio, the stage will have 8 X 5 meters of lad screen in the back ground which I can use.

But for both visual or audio stuff, they will have to be made ( I have no talent on thath Smile ) so I'll choose to go for a more simple way to handle this issue if we can find...
cardone
View Profile
Special user
860 Posts

Profile of cardone
I have somone from the audience come up and read some funny patter about the next illusion ... It is simple easy to read and gives me the 30 seconds toset up the next effect ....
Doruk Ãœlgen
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Doruk Ãœlgen
Quote:
On 2009-03-22 13:44, cardone wrote:
I have somone from the audience come up and read some funny patter about the next illusion ... It is simple easy to read and gives me the 30 seconds toset up the next effect ....

Thanks Cardone for your reply,but as I have stated above,the firm that booked me doesn't want any speech,they're affraid that a lot of people may not understand (its a mixed crowd of approx 1000 people from a lot of diffrent countries...).

+ I can't set-up/change on stage, I'll have to quit from sides and come back...
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Can your act include comedy?
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
You might put together a silent video with music "introducing" the next illusion.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
sb
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of sb
If you have to pay someone to do a video for you, will that cost the same as just bringing the assistant?

The flipside... .If you have a video produced, will you be able to use it again?

The video could introduce a trick, but maybe a better alternative would be to have it be a stand alone piece so you could use it at a later show. The video could be simply a close up trick.

You could change your clothes on stage, use a trifold screen, and be talking while you are changing behind the screen. This would not be a quick change "trick", but just you standing there, changing. You could trow your shirt over the screen. And you could possibly (if this matches your style) throw some other - funny - items over the screen as well (ie. a dress, a rubber chicken, a bazooka????, a banana, etc...)

good luck...

scott
Doruk Ãœlgen
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Doruk Ãœlgen
Quote:
On 2009-03-22 14:01, Thomas Wayne wrote:

Absolutely, is there something in your mind?

Quote:
On 2009-03-22 14:04, ClintonMagus wrote:
You might put together a silent video with music "introducing" the next illusion.

Which will have to be made (I'm not skilled enough on that), it's better if I solve this issue myself....

Quote:
On 2009-03-22 14:12, sb wrote:
If you have to pay someone to do a video for you, will that cost the same as just bringing the assistant?

The flipside... .If you have a video produced, will you be able to use it again?

The video could introduce a trick, but maybe a better alternative would be to have it be a stand alone piece so you could use it at a later show. The video could be simply a close up trick.

You could change your clothes on stage, use a trifold screen, and be talking while you are changing behind the screen. This would not be a quick change "trick", but just you standing there, changing. You could trow your shirt over the screen. And you could possibly (if this matches your style) throw some other - funny - items over the screen as well (ie. a dress, a rubber chicken, a bazooka????, a banana, etc...)

good luck...

scott

Thanks Scott, cost of video/assistant will not be the same, this is an out of city job and extra flights, hotel, plus daily fee for assistant is out of the firms budget. They won't like it, and we've already made a deal, which I told them that I'll lower my fee by not bringing an assistant, and doing one less illusion.

But a video of a close-up trick idea sounds fine and may do the job + I can use it later...

The problem with changing clothes on stage is; in the program there will be me and a quick change act. So it's going to be a little awkward if I change on stage. Smile And as I said, firm doesn't want talking...

Stand alone piece of a close up trick (maybe a funny one) is a good idea, I'll keep that in mind, but lets keep the brainstorm going on. Smile
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
What about a digital "countdown" clock, like a 0:30 timer on a bomb? Music intensifies during the half minute. Suspense builds.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
LeeAlex2002
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of LeeAlex2002
Dorukciðim!!!

In a 12 minute act, 35 seconds is a high percentage!

You can call Tamer and we can discuss this further if you wish.

Lee
Yours Magically,
Lee Alex

https://www.devilshank.com/
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2009-03-22 14:29, Doruk Ãœlgen wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-03-22 14:01, Thomas Wayne wrote:

Absolutely, is there something in your mind ?

Yes. Have an old fashioned two- or three-panel boudoir screen on one side of the stage, with a switchable floodlight behind it. Go behind the screen and have the stage lights dim as you bring the back light up, then change behind the screen.

Play into the old movie/cartoon stereotype of hanging [what appears to be] your cast off garments over the top edge of the screen so they are in plain sight - and, of course, part way through undressing you fling over a corset, bra, and other female-oriented undergarments. Timing will be everything, and you may want to punctuate the humor with a pair of hot-air-balloon-sized "granny panties".

The boudoir screen and flood light can probably be built as a single assembled unit, which would include the necessary surface(s) or storage area needed for your costume change. Everything, as a unit, can be on casters for a quick stage reset after you've changed.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
sb
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of sb
A little more specific info could maybe get us thinking better...

What is the opening routine, and the routine you are going into. and the final illusion?

scott
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Another idea is to just use the stage crew or tech crew that is there. It costs you nothing but telling them what you want them to do while you go off stage. For example, it could be that the audience sees you go off stage and the curtains stay open. The stage crew brings on the next illusion but is part of the show. They move it into place and maybe check the lights etc. Then you come back on look at the illusion and give the ok to the crew and shake their hand or give a high five and go right into it.

In this fashion the stage crew becomes useful to you and the audience sees it as them setting up for your next big and final illusion. all you have to do is tell the crew when you get there to keep the curtains open as you go off stage and to move and set the illusion and act it up a bit more then usual.

I have done this before and works very well. something to think about. This way you do not have to talk, music can still be playing during the set up, the stage crew gets to have a bit of fun and you do not have to pay anything at all. Nice smooth transition.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
I was thinking along the same lines as Michael on this, but I think that Thomas and Kyle also offer great suggestions.
I live my life for a layer of ice
Just like those poured by my bartender vice
Any taste of vermouth would be really sublime,
When you have a good martini time!

-The Reverend Horton Heat
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Thanks drew. It is just a different way of thinking and a different approach. It allows the notion of stage set up to become a part of the illusion routine itself. nothing has to be said, no one has to pay any more money and you just need a bit more music while the illusion is being ste up.

As stated, it also gives the stage crew something more to do. it is nothing new to them since they are used to doing it any ways. They just may "play it up" a bit more then normal so the audienc ereally sees the illusion coming out, it being set itnot place, people chekcing lights or checking off a list on a clipboard etc.

It is visual fun for the audience and the magician can come rigth back out and acknowledge the crew and go right into it.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Split your show into two parts. Do the part that requires the one outfit, have the quickchange act perform his act, the come back and finish your show.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I may be mistaken. I thought the magician was doing a quick change as part of the first sequence of the magic? Or am I mistaken? if there is another act, then Bill's suggestion is a good and strong one.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
I like TW's idea. Comedy comedy comedy. The audience will remember you just from the comedy bit
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
But the problem is that if he can not use vocals, the comedy will have to happen using pantomime and visual comedy only. It can be done, it just is a bit different and what is being done has to be conveyed easily to the audience. TW's idea could certainly work because ti is based on visual comedy only. It becomes more of 1) does it fit the magicians character and 2) does it fit for the audience he is performing it for. Great ideas being expressed here.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » How to leave stage for 35 seconds (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL