The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Least favorite comic book character and why (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
It's hard to pick one, but I have always had an issue (puns always intended) with Superman.
He's just such a goody goody, and just a little too powerful.
He's like the football captain in High School who befriends the nerd, but in a patronizing way. He doesn't respect the nerd, he pities him. Plus, it doesn't hurt to appear more sensitive to the ladies. Stupid Superman.

I also don't like Ultimate Giant Man because he's what Superman would be like without his powers. A wife beater.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Easy: The Red Bee...

From the Wiki:

"The Red Bee's secret identity is Rick Raleigh, assistant district attorney in Superior City, Oregon. His superhero modus operandi is to put on a red and pink costume and, with his trained bees and "stinger gun," fight Nazis and gangsters.

His favorite bee is named "Michael" and lives inside his belt buckle for use in special circumstances; the feature's writer was presumably unaware that male bees do not sting at all."

"He is mentioned by Plastic Man as having been a friend and drinking buddy in an issue of JLA." (Written by Grant Morrison, I assume. Seems to fit his brand of lunacy!)
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1947 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Worst hero ever:
Image


Had a few of these comics as an impressionable youth...
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
How can you diss Spider-Ham and Hulk-Bunny?! LOL
Gilgamesh_The_Librarian
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

Profile of Gilgamesh_The_Librarian
Quote:
On 2009-03-23 11:48, critter wrote:
It's hard to pick one, but I have always had an issue (puns always intended) with Superman.
He's just such a goody goody, and just a little too powerful.
He's like the football captain in High School who befriends the nerd, but in a patronizing way. He doesn't respect the nerd, he pities him. Plus, it doesn't hurt to appear more sensitive to the ladies. Stupid Superman.

I also don't like Ultimate Giant Man because he's what Superman would be like without his powers. A wife beater.


Not sure I agree with everything you say but he is my least favourite by a mile.

His powers make him incredibly boring and then the one or two weaknesses he has make for poor plots. I mean how much kryptonite can there be !!

The fact that he is so super clearly show up in things like Superman V Alien where they have to "equalise" things to make a good challenge of the encounter but even those kind of scenarios feel somewhat forced.

So yep, sorry Supes but you are a little bit naff.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2009-03-23 11:48, critter wrote:
I also don't like Ultimate Giant Man because he's what Superman would be like without his powers. A wife beater.


I alsays saw powerless "supe" as a mild mannered sort of fellow, but maybe that's just me...

Another favorite from the mind of Grant Morrison:
FLEX MENTALLO: HERO OF THE BEACH
Image
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1947 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Just curious about which of superman's traits would translate to wife beating in a powerless environment.

Does that mean that all powerless men are wife beaters? Would you be better if you derived superhuman power from a yellow sun?

You may need more sunshine.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
voe
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of voe
Superman. Different reasons than you guys though. I hate that he's an Alien interfering in human evolution by allowing humanity to become dependant upon him. Everyone should read the Lex Luthor Man Of Steel miniseries for a good exploration of this. Luthor is one of humanity's most important heroes.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
The remark was more about Giant Man than Superman, per se. But a little bit about Superman too.
I can see in Giant Man a longing to be "like" Superman. What he wants more than anything else is to have what Superman has, exceptional power and the admiration of the public. It's Giant Man's longing for respect and power, and his inability to achieve it, that makes him lash out at his small wife.
Who's to say if, deprived of power, Superman wouldn't do the same? Like the high school sports star who is now overweight and out of shape, Averageman hates his weakness. Because he hates himself for being powerless, he uses that anger in desperate attempts to regain power. I am not saying it would happen, but it could.


Quote:
On 2009-03-25 22:04, Josh Riel wrote:
Just curious about which of superman's traits would translate to wife beating in a powerless environment.

Does that mean that all powerless men are wife beaters? Would you be better if you derived superhuman power from a yellow sun?

You may need more sunshine.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Ant Man. He sucked gas to 'get small' and then his only superpower was talking to ants.

Worst. Superhero idea. Ever.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Mike Ross
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, Canada
61 Posts

Profile of Mike Ross
Can't stand Superman, too powerful.
Mike Ross
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, Canada
61 Posts

Profile of Mike Ross
Also the Hulk is a little weird.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
For the same reason that people can Not stand Superman, I also can not stand the Spectre. Much too powerful, even omnipotent. Interesting that Jerry Siegel created BOTH heroes. In a way, Mr. Siegel learned his lesson because when he created Superman,he made Superman LESS powerful than the Spectre. But there is one Spectre story which I found appealing. It's the one where he fought the Psycho-Pirate. That villain is so-called because he has the superpower of forcibly causing people to feel any emotion, e.g.,fear, or anger, or love, etc. In this case, there was a TWIST in that instead of people reacting in a particular emotion at the Psycho-Pirate,they instead reacted to the Spectre whenever the Spectre appeared. In this case,it was the emotion of fear, horror at the sight of the Spectre's appearance.

For that matter, toward the ending, the Psycho-Pirate even had the Spectre himself cowering in fear at him. So if you really think about it, this makes the Psycho-Pirate the most powerful of all the VILLAINS. Well, in the DC-universe anyway. Because in the other world of the Marvel-universe, the most powerful villain would have to be Galactus.
voe
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of voe
Spectre wasn't as much a superhero as a tool of God though. He's allowed to be overpowered. I always liked that he didn't have the free will to choose his victims or their punishments.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
If I'm Not mistaken, nobody introduced any thread on the current WOLVERINE movie (which premiered last week), so I take it that most of you consider Wolverine as one of the LEAST-favorites. Admittedly, in my own case, I don't care for him either but I still went to the X-MEN movie because it still features some of the OTHER mutants. The box-office returns for Wolverine was much less than the third X-men movie, so it should be better for the next film because it will center on a different X-man.
Eddie Torres
View Profile
Special user
New York City
691 Posts

Profile of Eddie Torres
The box office was so low because the third movie sucked and everyone expected the same of this one. Ppl need to stick to the source material... pffft.
Eddie Ivan Torres
Eddie Torres
View Profile
Special user
New York City
691 Posts

Profile of Eddie Torres
Oh and Azrael is my least favorite hero followed closely by Jason Todd, terrible even now.
Eddie Ivan Torres
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On 2009-05-10 07:33, Eddie Torres wrote:
The box office was so low because the third movie sucked and everyone expected the same of this one. Ppl need to stick to the source material... pffft.


Actually, the third movie was the best because it was the ONLY X-men movie that made over hundred-million dollars in its opening weekend. So while Wolverine was the worst one, but "X-men:The Last Stand" was the best.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6318 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Pop Tate

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Least favorite comic book character and why (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL