The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » The Biz, only of interest to UK Showmen. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Recently I have been labeled as a Hobbyist, Higley Cronie, Public rip off merchant, cheap promoter who would be flung off a train and castigated by all real showmen in the USA.
This BTW is all factual information.

So for the benefit of UK showmen who wish to consider useing a zibb I offer the following biz details.
These figures are taken from my past accounts as I type.

We have to face that the boom years of the 50`s and 60`s are long gone. So to make a comparible income to other jobs we now have to adapt. To keep ones head above water in these present times to me is a success and I could wish for no more than that.
The actual ammounts are private to me so will not be disclosed here but the format will make it clear as to how things developed over a 20 year period.

At the start our unit consisted of 3 hands, 30ft frontage,on 2 loads. After deductions, rents, fuel, wages etc we made xxx profit by the end of the season.

An upgrade to 7 hands, 65ft frontage on 5 loads gave an end of season profit of xxx %15 higher.
So we took stock >> %15 higher,7 hands, 5 loads for %15 !! + %100 more on rent,,,= Stupidity.

So we down graded, plus subsequent down grades on a bi-yearly basis.

Down to presenting our own act on our own stage unit and getting paid to appear. So no wages, fuel costs cut to a minimum,no rent to pay = Eldorado.

Profit percentage wise gave us a wage %300 above the wages we were drawing from our number one venture. (Sometimes we had to pay our workers before ourselves) Sometimes we got no wages at all.

Paralel to all this the cost of living had shot up, show attendance had fallen, bad weather, foot and mouth etc put many shows out of business, some never to return again.

This ment the bookers had less funds for entertainers, which in turn ment less work for us.

So what did we do ???

To be continued.

Ken.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Chapter 2.

Once again we had to adapt.
Working as we were now down to one van towing a stage unit we could not reduce anymore but we had to decrease our fees in order to get booked and survive.

So we decreased the fee and supplimented our income with a slum stall and zibb (Both free of rent of course as this was part of our reduced fee wages).

Holy Moses >> this increased our personal wage to %350 above our number one units prfits from all those years ago.

Yes everything had gone up but we had maintained not only survival but higher profits. This at a time when many of our friends were selling up and moving abroad into other fields of work.

A big plus to this is a zibb can be worked anywhere, this gives added income and an extension to your season = even more cash return.

I have outlined the facts as they really were and are, not the fiction. Big is not best as I have had both can testify.
The game is to survive against any and all odds.

The car boots in the UK could be the zibb plots of tomorrow, but not today.

I have put this together to show how things developed for us, I gain nothing from the gaff makers and have always paid my dues. I love this biz and would hate to see it vanish, I would also hate mis information to be passed on to those who would like to try this biz. A lot of bull has been written about useing a zibb, mainly by people who have not even tried it,,,,there are doers and there are sayers, the doers will never be sayers and the sayers will never be doers (Ken Brooke 1966).

This biz will change so we have to change with it, those not prepared to change will go under.

Food for thought >>>> Rentals on Blackpools Golden Mile for a small fortune tellers booth would cost you £30,000 a season.

Only the riding machines with the fast chequer plate rides at £4 a head for less than 3 minets could stand a chance at making a profit. That`s why the Boxing Booths and parading shows even the Wall of Death will slowly vanish from the prime fairs of the UK.

Sideshow will survive in other forms but its roots will be lost for ever,,,,Progress ? Or greed, you judge.

Ken.

Whats this 2 positive posts !!!!
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4415 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Inter
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Nope, the showbanners from the original got burnt in a lot fire at Downampy near Marlborough.

The original hard flash to the Snake Girl was sold on its own for more than the whole show value to Cristo (Where it is now !!) A pic of it can be seen in the Fairground Heritage (Art book).

Dr Death killed all the snakes when he opened with the Jungle Boy theme,,,went on to purchase two more then slammed the box lid down on them both one night while under the influence killing the last two !

Showbiz.
ElectricBlue
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of ElectricBlue
Hey Kondini,

Thanks for the info, I feel that the Sideshow and Circus environment is very similar in Australia as it is to you guys in the UK. There have been no on going touring Tent shows for a very long time and only a few touring Traditional circus'. Most of the original showie familys from way back moved on to rides a long time ago. Thought Our sideshow and Circus in other forms is still going strong.

At the moment we are doing pretty well doing our show at some music festivals and theaters. But I will defenatly keep the zibbit in the front of my mind depending on how we go if we start to tour more.

Thanks,
Blue
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Any little extra helps, as you know. Survival of the fit is obvious so to keep all options open is my motto.

Good to hear that you too have diversified.
Good luck.
The Curator of the Unusual
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Profile of The Curator of the Unusual
Quote:
On 2009-03-25 08:52, ElectricBlue wrote:
Hey Kondini,

Thanks for the info, I feel that the Sideshow and Circus environment is very similar in Australia as it is to you guys in the UK.

Thanks,
Blue

I wanted the play Down-under...But Robert Perry E-mailed me and it is Illegal to show "Live" Freak animals in Australia...
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

One way to get around it tho is...Have a small tent with a open front..inside have a pit...in the corner have bale of hay (open)...1/2 a sack of feed...take a five gal. bucket, fill it with manure..set it in the pit (creates fly action)..have a hose hangin off the pit...Now the banner should read "2-headed Calf Born ALIVE....needless to say when the custommer walks in..looks in the "pit" all they see is a Stuffed 2-headed Calf.....G-day...
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4415 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
So decieve your paying customers then? Would that not get you complaints? - what was it you called them in another thread - I cant recall memory like a ..... erm.... one of thoes metal things that ha holes ...... in it ...... erm........ oh yes a memory like a caulinder!
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Its not deceptive...It says "Born"ALIVE....The other stuff just creates a perception of what the customer (I despise the word "Mark") perceives to be what its not....
Evel Knievel

View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

And Besides...Your showin a bonafide 2-headed Calf(only Dead)..not a Gaff...and if the customer asks "Is it ALIVE"....Schrug your shoulders, roll yer eyes while replying "NO...ITS DEAD!..Geez"........
Evel Knievel

Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Kondini,

Your thread is of value to everyone - adapt to survive is crucial in this changing world.

Curator,

It's difficult to do anything much at all with animals in entertainment down here now. I am just going through pics for my new website and was looking at this one of me bringing a croc up in a standing feed 10 years ago - would never be allowed now.

Destiny

Click here to view attached image.
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Destiny, I have the rules for ciruses for Australia (R.Perry E-mail) The only thing I saw is No Freak animals Alive...Also Robert has photos on Buckles Blog today ofthe StarDust Circus...

http://bucklesw.blogspot.com/
Evel Knievel

View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Correction: S.R. E-mailed them to me, They are the Australian Circus Standards...
Evel Knievel

View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Correction: (Sorry) Standards For Exhibiting
Circus Animals
in New South Wales
Evel Knievel

stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Destiny, that picture ROCKS!
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Stadust come through here about mid year most years from memory.

I'm sure Stardust can tell you of the extra effort they have to go to in order to work with animals these days. Checks with Animal Welfare authorities, Workplace Health and Safety etc, not to mention the letter writers who whinge in the local paper here at least everytime they pass through.

Having worked for a decade in wildlife shows I imagine the complainers sometimes do much worse than write letters. By the time I got out of the business I was ready to kill the next whinger that caused me to waste a day on some governmental inspection.

It is even worse with wildlife because the animals can under no circumstance be used for entertainment - it must be education. That required careful scripting Smile

Destiny
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Quote:
Correction: (Sorry) Standards For Exhibiting
Circus Animals
in New South Wales

Glad I wasn't touring the country - different States - different laws.

(What each state has in common is that they have too many laws.)

Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

I feel your pain...If you send me your E-mail I will forward the standards...Not that it will do anything or change anything...Sadly we are headed onthe same trail here.....Best...
Evel Knievel

gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Quote:
On 2009-03-25 14:07, plasticdestiny wrote:
Kondini,

Your thread is of value to everyone - adapt to survive is crucial in this changing world.

Curator,

It's difficult to do anything much at all with animals in entertainment down here now. I am just going through pics for my new website and was looking at this one of me bringing a croc up in a standing feed 10 years ago - would never be allowed now.

Destiny

That pic is one of the many reasons I adore you Destiny!
G
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » The Biz, only of interest to UK Showmen. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL