The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » The Biz, only of interest to UK Showmen. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
No - I try to avoid reading regulations now - by the time I left wildlife shows I was spending too much of my day on regulations and paperwork - and I got hauled into the Coroners Court as a reluctant expert witness when a boy got killed doing a croc show about 100 miles away.

After that the regulation got much worse. I was asked for input and it was a nightmare - trying to explain a crocodiles physical limitations to buerocrats who were never going to experience it themselves
is just plain impossible.

Destiny

BTW: they hate the idea of deformed animals - it was illegal for us to have deformed or injured animals on display - we had a pelican with a wing that drooped badly - he'd been hit by a car and rescued and the wing could not be set properly. He lived a good life in the park and would not have survived in the wild but we had to ensure the authorities didn't see him or he woud have been put down.
The Curator of the Unusual
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Profile of The Curator of the Unusual
Sounds like if I want to tour the Down-under I need to revive my Diablo act..

Best JZ
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
You'll have a lot of competition with a Diablo act - there seem to be circus schools all over the place with incredible kids learning acts like that along with showbiz skills and business savvy.

I worked with one kid, 18 or 19 who did the most incredible balancing ladder act.
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Kondini said its "Who you Know"...I'll network my connections...Can I put you on my Resume???.....
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I think showmanship will always win out and admirable as these circus schools are I can't see many of those kids getting out and cutting it in the big bad world by themselves as most of us have had to.

They are too used to having the support and camaradarie of an organisation behind them and would be lost if they had to, say, downsize as Kondini describes - I think many of us can relate to that.

Now when I am pretty much self contained and work as much as possible by myself, I can't understand why I worked with other people for so long.
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Better yet I'll hire Doug to be my prop guy..... and everyone will Rally to My/His defense....Are your Bags packed Doug?....Lots-O-Cash, Big,Big Prizes....
Evel Knievel

Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I don't know if it happens over there - it doesn't here - but I've always wondered why noone sells a sideshow type setup for the corporate and incentive markets. That's where the money is here and they are always looking for something different.

Admittedly it requires customising shows and props - but they will pay for that.
And there seems to be no decline in those markets here - our local convention centre is doing very well (other than the local basketball team who played there going broke - but I'm happy about that - basketball is not ****ing entertainment and they were stealing some of the local entertainment dollar).

Destiny

Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

It does happen Here..Not my market..Hard to set up a tent in a Convention center..I would think a lot-O acts here at the "Café" could find thier niche' and bring Home the Bacon in that sort of enviorment....
Evel Knievel

dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4415 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
I know you were giving a hypothetical idea but …….

Quote:
On 2009-03-25 13:34, The Curator of the Unusual wrote:
Its not deceptive...It says "Born" ALIVE....The other stuff just creates a perception of what the customer (I despise the word "Mark") perceives to be what its not....

Thus deceiving the customer. It is deliberately giving the impression that something is alive when it is not. And I had to fight the urge to go straight to a dictionary site - so I walked in to my dining room and got the dictionary (don’t ask why my dictionary is in the dining room).

Deceive 1) to make a person believe what is false, mislead purposefully. (Oxford English Dictionary, Dave’s Dining room, March 25th 2009)

You are trying to give the impression that the two headed animal is ALIVE. Hence the pile of Sh!t you were talking. You know trying to give the impression (falsely) that the pit has been cleaned out (and we all know most dead animals (and rocking horses) don’t defecate [hence the phrase it’s as rare as rocking horse sh!t - which I love])

So 2 questions (kind of not really asking questions as I have just made my point and there is no arguing it really – as we have different view points so you know….

Q1) are you sure you are not trying to convince a public that you have a 2 headed animal ALIVE in there? (Not even slightly?)

Q2) Do you think that, if the Australians are against animal displays etc …….. Obviously tight on rules and regulations………..

That you will get away with having a fly infested big pile of poo in a tent that people will go in to? And not have some sort of slap on the wrist.

Also just had another thought and this more of a question to Destiny……

If the general public saw this at a side show / circus – would they see through it straight away? I am BY NO MEANS implying that Australians are more intelligent than AMERICANS (we know …… NO ONE is more intelligent that the AMERICANS don’t we boys and girls?). But do the general public over there know that you can’t show deformed live animals over there – and that there is no way round it? If they do – would they think “oh look Timmy a live deformed animal lets go take a look – hey Mr here is our beer token, let us have a butchers at your freak animal!”. And go pay someone to look at an animal they THOUGHT was alive from the set up.

The next question is would they take it? And the answer ….. It says BORN alive not alive? Or would they get real mad?
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4415 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Sorry just spotted a mistake:-

“Hence the pile of Sh!t you were talking”

Should read :-

“Hence the pile of Sh!t you were talking about”.

Not meaning to imply that you were talking sh!t -

ON OFFENCE MEANT!
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4415 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
OH @@@@~~~@@@!!!@@"@@£@@@**

that should be NO not ON!

Hey its a good night for me - I never normally spot my mistakes!
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Quote:
But do the general public over there know that you can’t show deformed live animals over there – and that there is no way round it? If they do – would they think “oh look Timmy a live deformed animal lets go take a look – hey Mr here is our beer token, let us have a butchers at your freak animal!”. And go pay someone to look at an animal they THOUGHT was alive from the set up.

You'd have 2 different sets of people to deal with - the ones would be writing to the paper, ringing the authorities and moralising on talk back radio about it and then the ones who wouldn't move from the bar to see it anyway.

Anyway if we want to see a deformed animal there's always a platypus down the creek.

Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

The proposition I proposed...Was mainly to get the juices and creative thinking and possiblitys flowin,,,If you want be Honest, become a Priest...If you want to make money with a Grind-Show...Bend the Truth in your Favor...I never stole from anybody, Yet I do Love the Larceny in this Business...As the Great Basketball Coach Abe Lemons once said while addressing a group of coaches at a coaching clinic.."I could teach you guys to have a winning program..But your much to Honest for that!"........Cheeri-O-....
Evel Knievel

Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Glad you got something from it Destiny,,,just goes to show that size dosnt matter (Except maybe in your case eh !!).

The RSPCA and anti`s have killed it for us over here and even the Police are biased,,,,a snake girl show was battered by the anti`s while the "Law" stood by watching !!!! Justice !

Ken.
oddityprodigy
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of oddityprodigy
Isn't this the "Magic" Café? In a place devoted to magicians, who's sole job is to deceive people in an entertaining way, why are you so angry about a deceptive display of a taxidermied animal? We're all here to love and respect one another, you seem very hostile.
This question is directed at Dave.

I think if I walked into a tent expecting to see a live two headed cow or whatever, and I found a display with hay bales, a hose, a fly covered bucket of poo, a banner that said born alive, etc... I would appreciate all the effort to make it at least seem alive. It's all part of the show.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Quote:
Was mainly to get the juices and creative thinking and possiblitys flowin

Well I don't know how this can be used but recently our local paper has been getting massive world wide hits on it's website whenever it has a pic of a python eating a cockatoo or a croc eating a shark etc.

There's got to be something in that.

Destiny
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Hello Mr or Mrs Oddity, would you do me the honour of introduction,,,I like to know who shares my bed.

Best Ken.
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Oddityprodigy, You will go Far..if you havnt already!......Best..JZ
Evel Knievel

Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5109 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Dave's just having a bad hair day. He needs to put his tongue in his cheek.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Dave, Remember the Falklands?..Sorry, But We can't save you on this one....
Evel Knievel

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » The Biz, only of interest to UK Showmen. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL