The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » The Biz, only of interest to UK Showmen. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Still no introduction,,,,come on, Ive had a bath!

Ummmmmmmmm!
The Curator of the Unusual
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Profile of The Curator of the Unusual
He/she is my alter ego....Satisfied?....
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Quote:
just goes to show that size dosnt matter

I don't mind a big croc.

Destiny
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
At my age Destiny, even an old croc would do !
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Hey Dave I'd really like to continue Chatting, But I have to open my deceptive Show...and Besides, in front of the Grandstand tonite they got a American Band doin a Beatles tribute...I know wouldnt want me to miss it!....
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Come on - while you guys are all chatting I'm trying to make my 2 headed cow stay still and play dead so I can open the show.

Destiny
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
It's a great cow this one - the heads are at opposite ends of it's body so as far as I can ascertain it talks out of it's arse.

Destiny
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
The main thing is,,,can it kiss its own ass like ******* fill in the blanks or get me banned !
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4415 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2009-03-25 15:59, plasticdestiny wrote:
Quote:
just goes to show that size dosnt matter

I don't mind a big croc.

Destiny

sorry thought we were on batteries there with the size deosnt matter.

Sorry if I came over all hostile - I wasnt meaning to -

But I do think there is a FINE line here between lying and ..... erm not lying Smile

You see - take the higley approach you never lie. I know that born ALIVE is not lying. But hte other stuff linked in with habing born in lower case and ALIVE in upper case to me said "hide the born part". Praying on peoples tendency to miss read signs etc (see below for my 2 favorite examples). Is deceiptful.

BUT then I can see the argument for enhancing the experince - and I like the idea of a multisensory exibit (still not sure you would get away with a pile of poo in the corner thorugh - thinking health and safety Smile -yawn-). But I kinda tink that in a country where you CANT see publically exhibited freaks of nature that are alive. The wording may be subtle and technically true - but it seems dishonest - its just my feeling on it. I could see some people getting annoyed by it.

I get the idea of getting the creative juces flowing - but I felt it was a valed question.

to TCOTU whats your "policy" if somoen comes in to see your exhibit - whatever it may be on the day - and feels you have misslead them - Do you re-fund - do you make some comment and send them on their way? Clearly - its your show its your rules - I just wondered how you would tackle it?

PS none of what I have typoed here was supposed to be aggressive at all -

And I have to say that I think there is a difference between being dishonest / decieptful and performing (weather it be magic, sideshow, escapes what ever). One is out to enterain which I consider to be a posative experince for the punter the other is there to get something out of someone in a negative way. At least that's how I feel about it. You of course may feel differently.

that's fine - as long as you know "Im right and your wrong - I'm big nad your little and there aint nothgint you can do about it" Well we seemedt o be quoting films recently - why not matilda? Smile PLEASE don't take that last paragraph as anything other than being daft and trying to show off my movie knowledge! Smile
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4415 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2009-03-25 16:06, The Curator of the Unusual wrote:
Hey Dave I'd really like to continue Chatting, But I have to open my deceptive Show...and Besides, in front of the Grandstand tonite they got a American Band doin a Beatles tribute...I know wouldnt want me to miss it!....

As longas they aint dead and in a pit - and can pull of a few of the beatles goo old ones you should have a good night -

Have a fun night!

Dave "the priest" Matkin Smile
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Dave, I'll answer when My "Boys" from the Nothing up my sleeve section Show up...(Hee-Hee, You think I didn't notice Stoneunhinged showin up did you? Hee-Hee)
Evel Knievel

Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5109 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Stoneunhinged's a good guy.

What ever happened to the Alaskan Fly Guy? Somebody swat him?
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Dave take note of my opening remarks to this thread.
This is the reason its headed Biz only of interest to UK Showmen.

I wished to be diplomatic so please play the game, you already know what "Other proper showmen" think of a Higley so lets leave it at that.

Any way Im off to wash my hair now and have a chat with my little invisible freind !

Ken.
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Dave
The example with the 2-headed calf was only to get the Juices flowing..it may have been extreme..

How does a banner work? 1. It has to stop the prospective patron (nothin new here) 2. it has to SELL the patron to buy a ticket (nothin new again)

Here are 2 of my banners, Misty the Mermaid and Sonny six legged Steer....
Study them and I will be back (I am operating a Show) To be Continued....

Click here to view attached image.
Evel Knievel

Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Dave...there is room for different opinions. I base my specific show on a flea market family crowd that is not regulary exposed to the midway type shows.

When I was on the midway with my two headed pig (in a jar) I also used the Born Alive bit. It works. (I didn't use a bucket of crap though...haha)

But there are ways around the language that you can have fun with. When I showed 'bouncers', I really didn't lie when I made the biggesrt words on the flash
SEE MAN MADE MONSTERS!! It let 'them' fill in the blanks without lying to them. More than likely the calf WAS born alive...so be it. Remember you have to have fun too...
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Sonny banner...

To be Cont.

Evel Knievel

Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5109 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I don't think the two-headed calf was extreme at all. There was no untruth, and the specs have the advantage of being let in on the joke. They STILL get to see the calf.

The only problem, is getting them to come back with their friends, to see THEM get taken in.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Now the "Mermaid" has been around since Barnum...He advertised it as a "Beautiful Woman with the tail of a Fish...but when they went inside, it was a monkey head sewn on a fish tail...Now if you study my Banner, It says the same thing Barnum said, Beautiful Girl, in fact She's a "Girl gone wild" yet they always come up to the ticket Box and ask "Is the Mermaid in there" I answer "You mean Misty"...They already know Mistys a Fake...But I not going to tell them that, I am merely leavin it up to them to decide...Now on the Sonny Banner, We see a ferosous Bull with 4 legs on the front and 2 in the rear, A Majestic Bull ready to tear apart his pen! This Dave creates interest...So now we have accomplished our goal, 1, stopped Em and 2. Sold them....Now we have to satisfy em..See Sonny's photo, He is not Ferocious, but he has 6- legs, and the Mermaid is less than what was advertised, But they already Knew what to expect, So No complaints, What one has to understand is the General Public know a Sideshow isn't all the advertising claims, They want to see how Good it is or how bad it is, Give a little of Both....in the case of the 2-headed calf, Its REAL, just Dead, a little of both....

Evel Knievel

View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Harley They will come back...IF, the attraction satifies them....
Evel Knievel

Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Good point Harley...the sense of humor angle is part of the picture. I can only speak for myself but when I did the Pig my flash was the NY Skyline being ravaged by a raging 2 headed pig monster HOGZILLA! This was in the early 70's in Alaska and most of those who came in to see the baby pig in the jar (he was so cute!) and got the joke were Farmers believe it or not. I learned a lot about pigs from those guys. Smile
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » The Biz, only of interest to UK Showmen. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL