The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » The Biz, only of interest to UK Showmen. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
OK gave it some time now where is that OddPodd, he wants to hit and run,,,ok. But if anyone out there bumps into him please ask him or her to have the courage of their own conviction.

In other words, put up or shut up. Have you noticed, those with the biggest mouths usualy have the least bottle !

Ken.
oddityprodigy
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of oddityprodigy
Sorry, I had things to do yesterday other then check the boards. Things to do like turn another year older. Anyway, I don't see how I have the biggest mouth. Everyone's so sensative here! I made 3 posts and none of them were very extreme.

I've been working here and there for a few years now in show business doing sideshow stunts wherever I can find work. I'm certainly no Old Timer. I've done clubs, schools, weddings, kids birthdays, carnivals, private parties, college gigs, etc...really wherever I can find someone to pay me. And here, full disclosure, I can make a living doing this stuff for months at a time, but usually I'm not very good at savings and have to work a, gasp, sucker job (or 2 with this terrible economy) in between tours to suppliment my income. I don't think I qualify as a weekend warrior, but I'm certainly not getting rich from performing sideshow.

At gigs I sometimes go as Charlie Velvet, but I think I'd prefer OddityProdigy better on here or whatever weird shortening you guys would rather type. I mean I came up with that clever posting handle all by myself I'd hate for it to go unused.

How's that Kondidi?
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
I think you should re-read your posts, then ask yourself how you come across to those who don`t know you.

Kondidi

See your stupidity continues, but will never effect a like response from me.
oddityprodigy
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of oddityprodigy
Excuse me, I meant Kondini. Type-o wasn't on purpose.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
That`s quite alright old chap,,,,nice to see your tone has changed.
oddityprodigy
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of oddityprodigy
I have re-read my posts. I didn't say anything super inflamatory. I only asked and answered questions. I maybe gave a LITTLE jab in there. I was just trying to point out that sometimes, some people, say things that are a little out there. I sincerely wanted to know if they really believed what they had written. Both to nippulini and to the uk escape artist who's name I don't remember. Have you re-read my posts? I asked one question. I got a responce then I thought I clarified that I had respect for that person and explained why I asked and everyone else ran around like the forest was on fire for 3 pages after that. Then I asked someone else why they seemed so mad that what's said on the front of a show is usually exactly what's inside, but maybe advertised in a way that makes you think maybe its something else in there.

I stand by my posts. I like stirring things up a little bit but come on, I'm not a maniac.
oddityprodigy
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of oddityprodigy
Also I don't type so fast, sometimes while I'm typing a response a bunch of others get there's in there first and make mine kind of irrelevant.

Like you just gave me the things are ok post while I was typing that other one, and now I don't want that one to seem like I'm trying to start crap again.

Anyway thanks buddy. I'm glad I have the blessing of the magic Café now.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Yes I re-read your posts.

Quote " I like stirring things up a little bit". See you succeeded, what an achievement.

Case rested, no further comment required on this from me.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5109 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Maybe you should consider becoming a maniac? It can be great fun!

What kind of stuff do we sprinkle on you, as the blessing?
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
Harley, you crack me up. You maniac.

Isn't this thread supposed to be for UK showmen only?

"I love ya'll but I want you to be gooood" (that's what my school bus driver used to say when I was a kid)
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5109 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I'm a UK showman! Oh, wait, it's just people saying "uck!" to me. I'm alphabetically challenged today. Maybe I'll go write a letter, perhaps A.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
The Curator of the Unusual
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Profile of The Curator of the Unusual
Yea he UK stands for UnKnown Showmen, Hey, Did you Identify yourself?.......
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
"I want you to be niiiiice" not good. That's what he said. Old memory is starting to fail more and more.

"write a letter, perhaps A." Man you really are wrong in the head! Thanks for my first laugh of the day.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
This thread is for anyone who wishes to post,,,headed UK Showmen as according to the US Showmen (Some of them !) My findings over a 20 + year period would be of no use to them.

The business side of things over here has dictated the production. The opening 2 posts I made were an in depth disclosure as to the way we have ended up over here. I had hoped it to be at the very least informative.

I would readily welcome the business acumen based on the USA Showmen disclosed, that way the comaparisons and understanding of our differences would be beneficial to all. Neither is right or wrong and to presume one to be superior to the other is stupid. The zibbits used as I use them have benefitted me and given me a desired out,,,,,the out of which could have been bancruptcy. As such I applaud people like Mr Higley who`s expertic`e and dedication has enabled me to continue in that which I love.

Nothing more, nothing less.

BTW there are many poor exhibits around and having been caught in the past feel that for me at any rate the Higley models reign suppreme.

Ken.
oddityprodigy
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of oddityprodigy
Earlier someone seemed a little disturbed that a banner might misrepresent something inside the show. I know the Higley model says don't say what it is and they can't complain. But in all seriousness, since you say the zigit saved your show, do people see that thing and not want to punch you in the face for charging to see it? Maybe a punch in the face is a little extreme, but I know I've had people beef about something I did threatening me with physical violence, so its not all that extreme when talking about public reactions (maybe its different in the UK).

I know people rant and rave that his stuff works great, but I've seen Higley's stuff, and I cant imagine it'd be anything but a heat score as a single-o type attraction. Maybe my brain is just 180 from the flea market customers' brains, but do you actually use one of his gaffs and people love it? Seriously, I don't want a commercial here, I would like to know. Do you have just a little tent with his thing in a fishtank? Or do you have a show where you perform and then have it set up to the side like a museum piece?
oddityprodigy
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of oddityprodigy
I should add I think the same thing for a Tate mummy. As a single-o attraction I can't imagine a tate mummy or a higley zidbit wouldn't just flood the office with beefs.
Kondini I don't know you or anything about you other then what I've read since I joined here, but it seems to me that you were one time in the fair/carnival biz with a big show and now have downsized. And I guess that's my question really, are you a single attraction operator with a higley as your attraction on the fairs? Do you do flea markets with it? Or as I said in the previous, do you use it as an addition to your performance show since you're all chained up in your picture?

THANKS.
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
Back when I had a thrill ride at fairs I met an old showman that told me election year is always down. That year was the year Clinton was elected and I lost my shirt on every fair I went to. I ran for 5 years before selling it. Prior to that I performed on the midway at fairs for three years. Mostly in the midwest. So before I quit that I had 8 years of fairs under my young belt.

So my question to Mr. Kondini is, do you have trends in the UK when sales are down due to government issues or otherwise?

Now I know there will be some US showmen coming to say that the old man was wrong but when I went to the Florida State fair last month, or so?, I asked a food vender I was buying my fried snickers bar from how they were doing. She said WAY DOWN. Now that might not be the election year, maybe the laim economy. All I know is that old man that told me this had been running an "old time" photo booth for 20+ years. I gotta listen to the grey dogs. They know more than myself.

Will
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Everything is covered in Dougs booket and it would be wrong for me to quote its workings here.

The size of a banner does not alter whats on the inside. So from that statement you can figure it out yourself.

Remember there are places where this would not score just as there are places where a massive show would fail.

I put before you my reasons in the opening draft. You have only to compare my personal wage percentage and the reasons behind success and failure to see that for me it saved the day.

Its laid out in the opening of this thread.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Mr Rotten may I refer you back to the opening posts, yes now I am paid to entertain and the zibb + slum makes up the wage. The present wage is far more now compared to when we ran a 65ft frontage show.

Trends ummmmm that's a sticky one >>>> Food always scores >>>> Weather is the most killer >>>> Foot and Mouth came second to that >>>> Now we have a recession,,aint it great to be alive !!!

Ken.
oddityprodigy
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of oddityprodigy
That was my fault, I should have re-read the thread.
So you have a show, a merch booth, and a zibit. 3 things for one booked at fairs, and you still get the typical fair crowds who some love it and some beef no matter what you put in the tent. I think I got it. Thank you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » The Biz, only of interest to UK Showmen. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL