The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Which Way Does Your Water Flow? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17523 Posts

Profile of Slim King
For the majority of my life I have believed that water flows down a drain in the opposite direction if you are in the Northern hemisphere or in the Southern hemisphere. Then I was told it is an Urban Legend. However, I am in Australia and the water appears to circle counter clockwise in the sink. My wife on the phone says it goes clockwise in the States. (Yes we actually did it over the phone Smile )

What's the deal?

Which way does it go in your part of the world?

Thanks
Slim King
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Tom DV
View Profile
Special user
693 Posts

Profile of Tom DV
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27084 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The effect described is not readily observable in your household plumbing. If you really want to observe the Coriolis effect on draining water you need a large shallow tray on a steady table with a small hole to unplug.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17523 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Well I'm here right now and this Urban Legend seems to be real. Smile
Just did it again.
I have the book Bad Astronomy. I purchased it since a New Zealand DJ told me that it was an Urban legend while we were doing a show on the radio.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
So, using your own experience, you think that this "urban legend" is not a legend -- that it is, in fact, true?
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17523 Posts

Profile of Slim King
That is correct. The whole band is filling up their sinks and pretty much substantiating what I've always believed. So if everyone around the world could just give it a shot and report their findings we may debunk the debunkers Smile
Virungan
View Profile
Inner circle
Here and There
1156 Posts

Profile of Virungan
It's called the Coriolis Effect... believe it or not where I live in Kenya there are people who make a living demo'ing this to tourists, you take a bucket and a funnel and you pour water through while walking across the equator...
Smile When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth...Smile
Tim Jahn
View Profile
Special user
South Florida
911 Posts

Profile of Tim Jahn
Man... I thought this was an accepted fact. I've never heard of the urban legend myth. It has to do with the rotation of the earth. The earth moves clockwise in the northern hemisphere and counter (Anti) clockwise in the southern. This (Combined with gravity) is what causes the effect on water. I know that's a simple way to put it But.... It is a fact.
Andrew, (ASW)
The effects on the DVD and lecture notes are far beyond your abilities. (They require mastery of the mechanic's grip.) It would only break your heart.
Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz.......(This post has got to be in my top 5.)
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Quote:
On 2009-03-26 09:21, Virungan wrote:
It's called the Coriolis Effect... believe it or not where I live in Kenya there are people who make a living demo'ing this to tourists, you take a bucket and a funnel and you pour water through while walking across the equator...

And it changes direction as you cross the equator?
Magic is a vanishing art.
Mike Ross
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, Canada
61 Posts

Profile of Mike Ross
Wait, I heard from my science teacher a long time ago that that was just a myth.
Al Straker
View Profile
Grammar Host
Australia
1116 Posts

Profile of Al Straker
Hey Slim, Welcome to Aus!!!

I'm gonna go check my sink...

Al

Posted: Mar 28, 2009 3:34am
--------------------------------
Well whatdaya know... counter clockwise! Theory holds true so far.

Cheers,
Al
Al Straker
Resident Mystery Entertainer at Multiple Venues
Music & Mentalism Specialty Act 'Completely Mental'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyGhApqnG7I

(Old clip, show has changed quite a bit since then!)

Jazz & Contemporary Musician/Composer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnN3JNmeKns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU_zfOvpneA
Tim Jahn
View Profile
Special user
South Florida
911 Posts

Profile of Tim Jahn
Quote:
On 2009-03-27 21:17, Mike Ross wrote:
Wait, I heard from my science teacher a long time ago that that was just a myth.

Wow..., Please tell me the name of the school so that I might avoid sending my son there.
Andrew, (ASW)
The effects on the DVD and lecture notes are far beyond your abilities. (They require mastery of the mechanic's grip.) It would only break your heart.
Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz.......(This post has got to be in my top 5.)
Machina
View Profile
Elite user
403 Posts

Profile of Machina
I have no time to read what everyone else said, just read the question above.
I saw this on mythbusters. The direction the water flows down the drain is dependant on the shape of the basin : )
This "has nothing to do with the Magician who doesn't like Rock n Roll!" Corinda

www.mechanicsofthemind.com
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17523 Posts

Profile of Slim King
OK all you Aussies (Hope that is still an acceptable PC word)
Is it counterclockwise for you too?
I will be returning to AU to do another gig in Sydney next year I believe .... to check again. Smile
(The Melbourne gig went extremely well and they want us back WEEEE HAAAAAA)
I love Australia Smile
Every sink I can remember in the US has went clockwise.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Myth. Basic stuff. Build a giant basin like the people from Kenya, put half on one side the equator, etc. Then what would happen? Its the design of the toilet/sink, etc.

Mr.Jahn, would that mean that the earth is spinning on two different axis? That would be incredible....
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Well, the only solution is to bring an American toilet Australia and hook it up.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=1005121203809
http://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question75645.html
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Not only that, but if you flip most Australian light switches down, you turn lights on, not off. I don't think this is due to the Coriolis effect, however.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
And we go out and in instead of in and out.

Destiny
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2433 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Quote:
On 2009-03-25 21:50, Psychic Samurai wrote:
Which way does it go in your part of the world?

Um ... I checked. It goes down. Down the drain. All of it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Which Way Does Your Water Flow? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL