The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Which Way Does Your Water Flow? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
620 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
What would be the effect if your sink was exactly on the equator?

What would the effect be if your sink was exactly on the north or south pole?
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
That's what I meant by building a really big sink, and putting it on the equator. It's the design.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Quote:
On 2009-05-04 14:43, kcg5 wrote:
Myth. Basic stuff. Build a giant basin like the people from Kenya, put half on one side the equator, etc. Then what would happen? Its the design of the toilet/sink, etc.

Mr.Jahn, would that mean that the earth is spinning on two different axis? That would be incredible....

While it is a myth, Mr. Jahn is correct. If you look at the earth from the South pole is spins in the opposite direction as when you look from the North pole. The reason is based on where you are observing from, and not the actual direction it is spinning.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
I understand, just the way it was explained and stated as fact didn't make much sense.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Samuri, please use the term Aussie American when refering to the people in Australia, it is politically correct, thank you.

Don't let them fool you with that drain stuff, remember Ben Harris and his so called fake UFO photos? Right, fake....they were real photos man, I saw 'em!

But I crossdress, back to those scheming Aussie Americans, they don't want you to know the truth about crocs. Crocs don't kill people, people kill people, crocs love to have their bellies rubbed, try it. Another thing, some smart arse AA (that is the abreviation for Aussie American, which is the lost tribe of Israel which is proven by their constant use of oy) will say stuff like "oy mate, don't walk near the water or ol' Betsy might drag you down for a death roll", death roll, right.... Hey, I eat sushi, I never saw anything called a 'death roll', those AAA's just don't want you to enjoy a stroll by the water (called tucker in the metric system).

Now go and sin no more.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Crocs don't kill people, stingrays kill people.

Quote:
On 2009-05-08 16:46, MagicSanta wrote:
Samuri, please use the term Aussie American when refering to the people in Australia, it is politically correct, thank you.

Don't let them fool you with that drain stuff, remember Ben Harris and his so called fake UFO photos? Right, fake....they were real photos man, I saw 'em!

But I crossdress, back to those scheming Aussie Americans, they don't want you to know the truth about crocs. Crocs don't kill people, people kill people, crocs love to have their bellies rubbed, try it. Another thing, some smart arse AA (that is the abreviation for Aussie American, which is the lost tribe of Israel which is proven by their constant use of oy) will say stuff like "oy mate, don't walk near the water or ol' Betsy might drag you down for a death roll", death roll, right.... Hey, I eat sushi, I never saw anything called a 'death roll', those AAA's just don't want you to enjoy a stroll by the water (called tucker in the metric system).

Now go and sin no more.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
I filled my sink and made the draining water an offer it couldn't refuse. This is called the Don Coriolis Effect...
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Mine flows in accordance with the Tao.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Quote:
Crocs don't kill people, stingrays kill people.

Critter - that was in very poor taste.

So I found it funny.

Destiny
asithlord
View Profile
New user
johnathan townsends daily hobbie is
98 Posts

Profile of asithlord
It went down clockwise where I am in the northern hemisphere
I think abc might be on to something though
think outside the box...
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Quote:
On 2009-05-10 02:05, gaddy wrote:
Mine flows in accordance with the Tao.

I pray over mine as it drains, that way God will make sure it goes the Holy way (Clockwise) instead of the Unholy way (Republican).
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
My bathroom sink doesn't swirl at all, it just drains straight down. Either I'm on the equator, or sink design may have more to do with this than some people think. Maybe if I took my sink to the equator and filled it up, the water wouldn't drain at all?
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Matthew Townsend
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

Profile of Matthew Townsend
The way in which the water flows down the drain doesn't have anything to do with the equator.

Its just one of those myths that has become a popular thought.

(Now where is magicsanta to tell me I'm an idiot?)

;)

Peace & Love

Matt
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
? Folks still have not looked up the discussions of Coriolis force, bullet trajectories and the video of the experiment done with a large shallow pan of water? I guess some folks like to type.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Oh, you don't need me to point out your an idiot Matt, you have pretty much proven it.

By the way, young Matt, the reason the water down the drain isn't effected is because of the relative small nature of a drain. If you take into consideration the Coriolis effect, as Jon mentioned, and took a vapor that was to be drawn down a drawn on a much larger scale then, indeed, the motion in the Northern Hemisphere would be in the opposite direction than in the Southern Hemisphere, this is proven by the actions of hurricanes (or typhoons). Having been as far North as St Johns in Canada and as far South as Puta Arenas in Chile I can tell you, the water moves down the drain the same but the toilets are designed differently. So, again, Matt while you are right you are wrong....of course I'm sure by this point in life you expected to be at least partially wrong.
Matthew Townsend
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

I love reading your posts Magicsanta!

Did you also know that dogs are really sheep but painted to look like dogs??

;)

Peace & Love Dude

matt
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
No but I have an one eyed dog who has white curly hair named Sachi.
Matthew Townsend
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

Lol

:P

Peace & Love

Matt
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Goes straight down here but we have an outhouse.

Here's a clip of a tour group who will most surely be demanding a refund.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZU1EB0z-h7w
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Never thought about how my water flows.
I do know my refrigerator is running and that I don't have Prince Albert in a can.
:)
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Which Way Does Your Water Flow? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL