The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Coin Out of Bottle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mike Ross
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, Canada
61 Posts

Profile of Mike Ross
So about a few weeks ago I bought my Roy Keuppers brand, f****** loonie for "Coin in Bottle".

I'm pretty confident with the way I'm practicing getting the coin setup and into the bottle,
I just don't know how to get the coin out.

I know there is many different methods of getting it out, but they all seem a little obvious, and I'm no star at shuttle passes or coin switches, although I could pull it off with some misdirection.

This is a problem for me, since I want to practice the right way.

Right know I'm looking into the method that Chris Ballinger from Magic Geek uses, however I think most of my performances will be stand up so once again it's a problem. Here's the link.
Any advice on how to get the coin out would be great.

http://www.magicgeek.com/coin-in-bottle-47.html
The Wizard of Hearts
View Profile
Veteran user
Tulsa, Oklahoma
323 Posts

Profile of The Wizard of Hearts
Keep working on those posts, Mike. Discussion of secrets (like this one) are to be discussed only in the "Secret sessions" section of the Magic Café. And for access to that, you need 50 legitimate posts. On the bright side, though, you're more than half-way there!
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Mike, I sent you a PM.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Uh, isn't the title of this section called "Trick coin trickery"? Shouldn't this whole section, along with "Gaffed & Funky" in the card section, be placed in "Secret sessions"? I don't see anything in Mike Ross' post that gives anything away except that some sort of trick coin is involved.
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
OOOOOH NICE! I am pretty partial to what Joshua Jay does. Not sure if you have seen his book (see review), but he sticks his finger in the neck of the bottle and shows them that the coin can't come out, and then pulls it right through the neck.
Mike Ross
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, Canada
61 Posts

Profile of Mike Ross
You guys are right, but hey, I don't have 50 posts. Just don't rub it in.
Mike Ross
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, Canada
61 Posts

Profile of Mike Ross
Scott your method is genius. Just what I'm looking for.
Mike Ross
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, Canada
61 Posts

Profile of Mike Ross
Oh, and Mark, I do own Joshua Jay's book.

Next time you flip through it, check out "Blister Vanish", it's neat.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
I'm not convinced that we should take the coin out. Maybe we should claim that it got in there by magic, that we don't have a hammer handy to take it out and that we are afraid someone could get hurt by the broken glass. This underlines the impossibility. If we know how to get it out, maybe we were the ones responsible for getting it in.
Mark Mason is selling a nice gimmick to do the routine with a bottle locked by a bottle cap. Ingenious.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
TravisRobertson
View Profile
Regular user
Cedar Rapids, IA USA
199 Posts

Profile of TravisRobertson
If you are using a plastic bottle, why use a knife to cut the bottle open to get the coin out?
Put the coin in the bottle by what ever method you prefer. Show that the coin is bigger that the mouth of the bottle and that the only way for it to have gotten into the bottle is by magic. Cut the bottle open using a pocket knife and pull coin out of bottle. Do your favorite simple coin switch and then hand the coin and bottle out for examination.
I am looking to buy Pressley Guitar items in good condition. Send me a PM for details.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Quote:
On 2009-03-27 21:13, Mike Ross wrote:
Scott your method is genius. Just what I'm looking for.

I appreciate that, Mike, only it's not my method--it is John Bannon's as far as I know. The manuscript I sent you is my ROUTINE, but the sleights used were created by others.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
CasualSoul
View Profile
Special user
Edmonton, Canada
542 Posts

Profile of CasualSoul
I perform it similar to that magicgeek video except I shake the bottle upside down over their hands. If you time the shake & release a little better than Chris, it actually looks like the coin falls straight out of the bottle and into their hands. If they're not already checking out the coin, I tell them to do so and then do the dirty work in one smooth movement with my pinky right in front of them while they are distracted with the coin (just make sure you don't use a bottle that has too long of a neck......been there, done that hahaha). After they've examined the coin, I hand them the bottle. My way uses a borrowed coin, a simple switch, misdirection, and timing. It's a slightly more difficult, but I think it hits harder using a borrowed coin and having it fall straight into their hands.

You can easily do it the way Chris does if you have only one band on the F****** coin. You simply need to shake it hard enough and on usually the first or second try it will actually come straight out on its own. As the Loonie is bigger, it's a little harder to do than the quarter, but it will still work. The problem with doing it this way is that it makes it harder to switch it out before they want to examine it. There's a LOT of heat on that quarter when it hits the table. Chris sort of gets around this with the premise that it was his coin to begin with, so he is simply taking it back and putting it back in his pocket. Personally, I think this approach looks like you are trying to hide something.

One thing I really like about Chris's version though is how he turns it into a bit more of a routine, rather that a single trick, by doing it that second time with the striking vanish. I think Cyril was the first to ever do it that way, but using the striking vanish for the second penetration is technically a little easier than doing it for the first. If you've ever tried to do it Cyril's way you know what I mean. I actually stopped doing the striking vanish version after a couple embarrassing incidents, but I might start doing it again after seeing this video. Thanks for posting that Mike.
"Open their mind by performing the impossible"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Coin Out of Bottle (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL