The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Payin the High Rent..... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
The Curator of the Unusual
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Profile of The Curator of the Unusual
I payed the high rent…not by choice really. I sorta backed into it. You see, it was my 3rd year out on the carnival trail, When I received a call from a US prominent Showman, Some call him “The King” in fact he is the King…now the King asks me “ How would you like to play Milwaukee?. of course I would but how? Now the King says…We got a offer to play it, but can’t, cause of prior commitments so we are passing it on to you! Great! So he gives me the contact info and by God I’m booked…so I change a few dates around and lo-and behold I’m in Milwaukee for the WI State Fair! Now I wait 2 days for a location, On the 3rd day the Mgmt of the carnival comes to me and Says “No go, they have a new Fair Mgr. here and he doesn’t like SS’s…..But don’t worry, we will make it up to you, You can play Albuquerque (New Mexico State Fair) later this month What choice do I have, so I agree…I get on the Horn (phone) and book 2 spots, not BIG spots, but little spots to hold me over…We did OK but nothing to write home about….Now the BCS finds itself just outside Cincinnati OH …Now it’s a long way to Albuquerque …about 1200 miles and being on a shoe string Budget (thanks to losin Milwaukee) We head west, 2 trucks, 2 trailers and 1 desperate Curator. Well we made it, were given a “A” location and we set-up….Now the Curator is feeling optimistic….that is till the Day before the Fair…You see, I learned a lesson that day, a lesson like I never learned before….a lesson most folks learn at a early age but for some reason had bypassed the Ole Curator…you know what that lesson was???….”Don’t count your chickens BEFORE they HATCH!” To be Cont.
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

tfessler
View Profile
New user
Kentucky
14 Posts

Profile of tfessler
Jim,

Are you outside of Cincinnati now? That's my backyard. I'm hitting the road tomorrow for Wake Forest, NC, but if you're that close, let me know.

Edit: Nevermind, I just re-read, and noticed this is a tale of times past.
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

No I am in Austin Tx. this is from 2005.....
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

Kevin Gerrone
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of Kevin Gerrone
Jim is there any chance you will be heading to the Ohio area ever? I would love to see you!
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Kevin, not this year, Weare staying out west....Best JZ
Evel Knievel

View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Unbeknownst to the Carnival Mgmt. The New Mexico State Fair has a By-law that reads NO SS’s allowed!!! I was told to tear-down promptly and get outta town! Now the Carnival, feeling bad says “Look, why don’t ya come to Tulsa at the end of the month?” The Curator tryin to keep his “cool” tells them I’ll let you know….We tear-down the BCS and head east …. To Be Cont.

http://www.sideshowworld.com/UPFM-JZGG.html
Evel Knievel

petekoloz
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of petekoloz
In the link [ http://www.sideshowworld.com/UPFM-JZGG.html ] I see a brief
account by Rick West of your NMST debacle.
At the bottom is included a list of contact info for what appears to be
the entire fairboard.
Why isn't the carnival's info included?
THEY are the ones that screezood you(twice),not the fair.
The whole thing smells fishy,like spoiled shrimp.
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Pete, this happened in 2005...Why don't you be patient and wait "For the Rest O the Story"......
Evel Knievel

thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
All this talk of the King had me thinking Elvis.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

….Now if you never been out west…its not like Jolly old England ( where you can chuck a rock and clip a Limey in any direction) Its open, OPEN and wide, Hell you can fire a Howitzer and the Texans don’t even notice…Anyhow, we head east…Now The Curator is getting worried, REAL worried, the BCS’s funds have dwindled Hell, you get chucked out 2 State Fairs…Gives New meaning to “Whats in YOUR wallet” But East we head…Now another problem then was in the vast area of Eastern New Mexico there is very little cell phone service, and the Curator needs a spot, Can’t book a spot if you can’t call…So our Luckless troupers (Curator and Chris, Did I mention Chris?) roll into Amarrillo TX. Set up camp in the T/A Truck stop and the Curator goes to work trying to find a spot…BY GOD …The Tri-State Fair opens in Amarrillo in a week from Friday …Hell its Thursday now we may be in LUCK! to be Cont.
Evel Knievel

Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1054 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
Ok, I know Amarillo and the Tri-State Fair very well. When I left in 2001 I hadn't seen a sideshow there in years, a single-o here and there, some years..so, what happened? What happened next?
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
petekoloz
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of petekoloz
Quote:
On 2009-03-27 12:43, The Curator of the Unusual wrote:
Pete, this happened in 2005...Why don't you be patient and wait "For the Rest O the Story"......

I know when it happened,Jim.
I was there in Crown Point when you blew in from Milwaukee.
Wasn't that Bluegrass Shows that did that to you?
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

No....
Evel Knievel

View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

WRONG!…the Carnival that plays it says it has no space…So I ask them “mind if I book with the Fair” they reply,” see Virgil…he’s the Fair Mgr, He won’t book ya, but you can ask him” Now the Curator was down to $2600 …in the whole world mind you…So the Curator headed to the Office and started Pitching , He pitched like his Life depended on it…HE pitched Like he never pitched in his Life, ….Now the SS Gods had backed him into a corner …Hell ,they walked him to the Edge of a Cliff, and that’s when it happened My friends…the SS Gods had the Curator not only on the ROPES but had it wrapped around his NECK…and that is the Precise moment when Slim Kelly sitting on a Cloud with the other SS Gods spoke…”Ya, Know, if we let that Curator go down, We won’t ever be able to F*** with him again!” Dick Best and Pete Hennen agreed, and the Gods decided to Help! Not because they Liked The Curator, but rather because if he went down…they would no-longer have anyone to mess with…. To Be Cont.
Evel Knievel

petekoloz
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of petekoloz
Murphy Bros Exposition?
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Yes...But up to the point in the Story they were acting on Good Faith...Shows HAD played Milwaukee upto the Switch of Mgrs that year...New Mexico?,.. they had called ahead and assured me there would be no problems...Perhaps the Fair Mgr. there did not comphrehend what exactly I had?...It was frustrating to say the least, In Fact, Pete, it did cross my mind "These Guys are tryin to Bankrupt me!" and up to this part of the story...for all practical purposes...They Had...
Evel Knievel

View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Meanwhile, down on earth the Curator was a pitchin …and just like that…
Words began to flow from his mouth like they never had before….Now the Curator can’t remember what he said…But by the time he quit talking…Ole Virgil said YES…However, he said he couldn’t spot us till tomorrow. No problem! The Curator started driving back to the truck stop when his phone rang , when he answered it ,Ole Virgil said Come on back, I found your loke. The Curator thru a “U” turn and when he returned to the fairgrounds Virgil had a spot right at the front gate! Even tho the BCS couldn’t be spotted till morning.. The Curator was feeling good! On the way back to the Truck stop he Booked 2 rooms and 1 big corral at the “Big Texan steakhouse, (This establishment has a Hotel and corrals for folks traveling with horses) The BCS got a good nights sleep (critters included ) to be cont.

http://www.sideshowworld.com/UPFM-HMA.html
Evel Knievel

View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

The Big Texan Steakhouse....

http://www.bigtexan.com/
Evel Knievel

Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4205 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
I'm heading for the Texas shaped pool at the motel next door...

http://www.bigtexan.com/motel.html

Splash!
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Sk em if they Remember when the 2-nosed Cow (Daisy-Mae) and her side kick "worlds smallest horse"(Biscuit) stopped By......
Evel Knievel

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Payin the High Rent..... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL