The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Straight Jackets and Chain (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I would like to combine my straight jacket escape with a chain escape.

Are there sources for different chain setups?

Thanks in advance.
-Matt
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
No,,,,they all drop off before you get them on !!
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
Heh? I have seen it done on youtube, but they don't show the person getting the chain put on.
-Matt
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Let em wrap you up anyway they like (But not tight around the neck) Problem your gonna have is keeping the *** things on! By your own body movement you can control to some extent how they wrap you,,,the more people involved in the chain up the better, easier it is to control.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9497 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Why guild a cage? (look it up). For some reason people thing the jacket escape is overused, They feel that they need to spice it up. That's like saying I better use a hat to cover my hat.

If the original hat is good enough to keep out the rain........ In other words, The jacket presentation usually includes telling how it was designed to confine the insane. SO, if it's good enough for the insane then you don't have to add chains. Your performance should be good enough to get the applause you deserve.

Put an average person in a regulation jacket and they won't get out, proving that it's real. When you make your escape you will be then given credit for skill and ability.

If you never put a volunteer in the jacket then you can - wear the jacket, wrapped in chains, wrapped in canvas, tied in rope, placed in a box, wrapped in more canvas... you get the idea. I believe if the add too many "extras" the audience will be suspicious of the original escape.

Take the Bill Tube. How many tubes does it take to convince the audience that the bill has appeared magically. Should the tube be inside a nest of other tubes? Possibly, But one locked tube should do the trick.

There are some who would dispute this, and they also make money at this game too, but I can tell you from performances in corporate settings (motivational speeches) and karate studios and schools and more, that the pure form of getting out of a jacket that someone else tried on, gets standing ovations.

I would rather you work on your performance first before you add things. I believe the performer who knows how a card sleight works is no longer impressed with that sleight and they believe the audience will not be impressed either - that's why they add 12 moves for something they could have done in one, and the audience would still applaud because you are not the audience.

that's my opinion. The rest of you can tell me I'm wrong now.
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
I'm with you Jay.
I like it simple.
I don't mind adding other elements (Danger elements- Upside Down, drowning, suffocating, doing it in front of an angry herd of yak) but those are really to add time constriants. I don't think that adding other escape challenges to the SJ is necessary.
No insult intended to those who add additional escape challenges, but not the path I would take.
Gwyd
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Why not throw the jacket away and just use the chains ?

I wouldn`t believe everything Jay tells you (Ask Dave Matkin) !!! Haha.

Ken.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9497 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
EYE wouldn't believe everything Kondini says either, just ask Mick.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4499 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2009-03-27 11:32, gsidhe wrote:
I'm with you Jay.
I like it simple.
I don't mind adding other elements (Danger elements- Upside Down, drowning, suffocating, doing it in front of an angry herd of yak)

don't be such a wimp! Herd of YAK? !!!!!

You aint risked nothing till you don't it in front of a horde of gerbils or EVEN ----
http://0301.netclime.net/1_5/4/5/Q/1158019550205429.jpg
- Drum Roll Please ..........

...................an array of hedgehogs!
http://go635254.s3.amazonaws.com/ecoworl......hogs.jpg
Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
Don't miss out on the great new mentalist magic: www.metalwriting.com
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5115 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
(Dave going on about a herd of yak. I bet he never even met a yak, close up. Much less ever need to manage one.)
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
When I used to be a clown, my wig was 100% yak hair.
that's all I have to add to the Yak subject.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5115 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
One of the things I did, when I worked circus, was help with some of the lead stock. Mostly, it was a camel named John. But the yak...
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
Quote:
On 2009-04-01 10:26, Arkadia wrote:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=18

/Ark

Thanks!
-Matt
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4499 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2009-04-01 12:28, gsidhe wrote:
When I used to be a clown, my wig was 100% yak hair.
that's all I have to add to the Yak subject.

Oh that's why all the heards of Yak have no hair! I thought it was genetic
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4499 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2009-04-01 14:17, Matthew W wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-04-01 10:26, Arkadia wrote:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=18

/Ark

Thanks!

I don't know we get all off topic and start meesing about then some body comes in gets all serious and help people - what is all that about eh?
chrusa
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
736 Posts

Profile of chrusa
Strait Jacket Escapes play well for certain kind of shows. Make sure that the audience is the proper audience for an effect like this. I have found that an effect like this will not play well at birthday parties, or a library or church show for example because the kid's just don;t understand what it is you are doing or the audience doesn't understand or find it appropriate. Also you would be suprised how many people don;t know what a strait jacket is. Sometimes an escape like a chain escape is just as good being kept seperate. When first learning to do escapes I found a book called 33 rope ties and chain releases that I found helpful I highly reccomend it. Also make sure that when doing an escape (any escape) that tons of planning is done as well as practice it theroughly because I have seen many magciains think "nopthing will go wrong" or "Its gimmicked I really don't have much to worry ab out" and something small goes wrong. I remember one time the soectator decided to weave the crotch strap through the back straps and I have had spectaros buckle them weird ways as well. Once you have practiced the escapes a lot then consider combining them but don't forget something can always go wrong be careful of overkill I have seen magicians become very embarrassed and not be able to complete the task. But when first starting out the 33 ropes ties and chain releases is a very good starting point that helped me a lot.
Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Chris Hrusa
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
Again, why did you bring up birthday parties?

I have had where the arm strap was put through the strapped back straps. Still, no problem getting out.

I already have the 33 Rope ties book, but that that does not have what I am looking for.
-Matt
chrusa
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
736 Posts

Profile of chrusa
Again you are assuming I am saying you only do bvirthday parties. No need to be so defensive. They really ****ed me up with doing this strait jacket. They twisted the arm strap and have done all sorts of **** to me and this is the kind of stuff I never planned on so watch out for stuff like this
Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Chris Hrusa
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I did not say anything about you assuming. Why are you feeling guilty?

Do you just let them strap you in? That would be your problem.

First the back straps, from the top down, so they cannot criss cross them. You can feel if they are pulling two different straps and buckles as the jacket would pull up on one side. This way, they cannot put the crotch strap to the wrong buckle.

Then comes the arm strap.

Finally, the crotch strap.

I give STRICT instructions so that there is no problem.
-Matt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Straight Jackets and Chain (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL