The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Quit being a teacher and go magic full-time (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2687 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
My wife is a 15 year retired elementary school teacher. She too saw a change coming with the new generation of people. I agree that teaching is getting harder in some schools and I feel for those with the problem classes.

Still, we can't do without the teachers. We need them now more than ever. Our only hope is to encourage the old ones to stay and inspire new ones to come on board. While the odds of turning out all great students is low, a few is better than none.

Teaching has never been a good "job" because it's never been about "you." It's not a job, it's a life. It's about the seeds you're planting. It often takes a long time to see real results, and even longer to get true respect. But it does come. At an older age, there is no better feeling than to get a long overdue thank you, or to just look around at people in the community and know that you played an important part in their life.

I certainly don't have the answers to today's problems, but no matter how bad it gets, I think teaching will still remain the most highly respected profession. Most can always look back and remember that certain teacher. We can't remember how we learned, but we never forget that little push, extra nudge, or that needed smile that kept us on track.

An old joke/story says it well: Mr Jones, a first grade teacher was at a party and while standing at the bar two men introduced themselves. The first one introduced himself and immediately begins talking about what he did for a living. “I’m a lawyer” in a loud voice he said, and went on to tell about his latest big case. The other man in the same boosting tone of voice introduced himself as the CEO of a large company and too went on to brag about his job.

Finally after a long several minutes they asked Mr Jones what he did for a living. In a soft spoken, but very telling voice he said, “I work at the school, I create Lawyers and CEO’s.”

Tom
Do What Others Do And You Will Become Average

The Daycare Magician Book
www.amazekids.com/magic-downloads/childrens-magic-ebooks/the-daycare-magician/

Tom Boleware
www.tomboleware.com
puppeterry
View Profile
Regular user
Sanger, CA
114 Posts

Profile of puppeterry
Tom, do you have a source for that story? I'd like to use it in my storytelling repertoire.
TV Mc Arthur
The Librician
Fresno (CA) County Public Library
"They don't get better.....just faster."
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2687 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Actually I made it up.

But now that I think about it, I think I did hear a speaker
at a local preschool teachers meeting several years ago
tell something similar. He was talking about how preschool
teachers shouldn't be ashamed of the job they do. How
important working with kids is. I'm sure it was worded
different oh, if indeed that's where I first heard it.
Sorry I just don't know. And too, I've written much for
speakers and teachers over the years myself and it could
very well be my own. It's bad to be old and so forgetful. lol

If it's in print anywhere, I know nothing about it.
Wish I could claim it or give you a true source, but
it's one of those things that pops in your head and
you have no idea where it came from.

Your welcome to use it. Thanks for asking,
and do some good with it, it does contain
a wonderful message.

Tom
Do What Others Do And You Will Become Average

The Daycare Magician Book
www.amazekids.com/magic-downloads/childrens-magic-ebooks/the-daycare-magician/

Tom Boleware
www.tomboleware.com
gadfly3d
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of gadfly3d
Quote:
On 2009-03-28 17:36, KidMagic wrote:
Steve,

This has certainly got me thinking about my career choices, of course I love magic and would love to be doing it full-time. Although I am only grade 9 I was planning on going to college/university to become a teacher (or possibly just a suply). I thought that teaching would be a perfect job because the majority of the shows (if not all) are either after school on Friday, or on a weekend/holiday. I thought if I was to become a teacher I could keep performing all the shows I am currently doing on weekends etc, and bring in some cash on the side by teaching. Is it really that horrible?

Zach

I did start out to teach secondary school but only did substituting and have done adjunct teaching on the university level. That said an important issue is what you plan on teaching and at what level. In the US the best teaching jobs will be in math and science, If you want to teach history or social studies then you really only need to be able to coach a sport.

Gil Scott
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Ouch Gil,

Being a full time history high school teacher here is one of the most sought after postitions. It is extremely difficult to become one, even with top qualifictions.

What a strange emphasis the USA puts on it education system. High school coaches here are strictly volunteer and are mainly, but of course not always, the physical education teachers.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I did the opposite. I was a full-time magician and joined the ranks of teachers. Now I consider BOTH to be my jobs; neither is my "day job" although teaching does provide the bennies like insurance and a pension.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
Oh yes, we love the add on benefits of our "real job".

I remember when I was a full time pro, folks used to ask me what my "Real Job" was.

My work in school at times lets me bring workshops to our 7th grade drama classes.

Nothing like a 7:45 AM start time for a show. Reminds me of some of the breakfast meetings/programs I used to provide.

I try to remember to be a full time entertainer, no matter how many shows I do these days.

Harris "Married with Puppets" Deutsch
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Been teaching 21 years now, aspire to quitting the business and becoming a full-time magician but not made the jump yet. Here you have to gain residency in a key job first before you can do magic.

When I return to the UK in July the thought of competing against the other 3 1/2 pages of adverts in the yellow pages for NE Essex scares me.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
Dirko
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
294 Posts

Profile of Dirko
I taught for 6 years while being a part time magician. I always told my students and parents I can not belive they pay me to do this job..... I would do it for free. I LOVED teaching. Everyday was a great day. I only left the classroom to take a position as a school principal. Now it is my job to help create an environment that not only students will succeed in but teachers will want to work in as well. You are right Steve teaching does depend on the students, coworkers, families, and culture of the building but effective teaching can take place in any area with the right instructor. I wish you the best in your new career.
MoonRazor
View Profile
Special user
767 Posts

Profile of MoonRazor
Yikes.... why not keep the job w/ all the benefits and do magic on vacations and in summer...

my sister is a teacher and I can't believe all the days she gets off b/c of the teachers union contract.... sick days, personal days. Can any other full time magicians imagine being able to call in and cancel a full day of shows and still get paid for it.....oh yeah you can do that 2 weeks a year and that's before you figure in vacations.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2240 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
No matter how much time off you get or how many perks your job has, if you hate your job you hate your life.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Dirko
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
294 Posts

Profile of Dirko
I agree with Ken. I have seen many teachers quit the profession because the only became a teacher for the time off. If this is the primary reason you will most likely not succeed in this profession. I always tell my students find something you enjoy doing and you will never work a day in your life.

I enjoyed teaching so much I could not wait to get back to work during the summer. In fact I spent much of my time off preparing new magic lessons for the upcoming year.

The more prepared I was the less behavior problems that would occur. I think I sent 1 student to the office in all the years that I had taught. I can honsetly say they were angels. I believe although they were good kids you have to keep them busy to keep them out of trouble. That is where a meaningful lesson that engages the students comes in. Man I miss performing magic lessons!!
ku7uk3
View Profile
Inner circle
1777 Posts

Profile of ku7uk3
I wasn't teaching magic, I was teaching the curriculum ICT. Computer software which confused the children from before I even start. All taught to government requirements and standards which is out of your control.

I've taught magic classes and absolutely loved it. I've taught high school ICT classes and it wasn't the kids that were the problem, it was the workload, the paper trail and other staff members who were very bitter that I did not like. They made the job depressing and the lack of support, the constant being shouted at due to conflicting teaching styles was demoralising. I would come home every night, work on the following days lessons until 2am and wake up again at 6am to get to work. Eventually it was stopping me from smiling, and as a naturally happy person, I decided that enough was enough.

For the last few years, I've been a full-time pro children's entertainer and am loving every second of it.

Steve
Dirko
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
294 Posts

Profile of Dirko
Steve,

I did not teach magic either. What I did do was use magic to teach the required middle school science curriculum. I am the first one to say teaching is not for everyone. Hey I know my limitations. I am not a handyman. If you tell me to fix something arounf the house the first thing I will do is run to the phone to hire someone.

I am glad that you have found a profession you truly enjoy. That is the key. It sounds like you had a really rough job as a teacher and I am sorry you did not have the support you deserved. It makes me think--I wonder how different education in the Uk is than in the USA?
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
Quote:
On 2009-07-09 09:06, MoonRazor wrote:
Yikes.... why not keep the job w/ all the benefits and do magic on vacations and in summer...

my sister is a teacher and I can't believe all the days she gets off b/c of the teachers union contract.... sick days, personal days. Can any other full time magicians imagine being able to call in and cancel a full day of shows and still get paid for it.....oh yeah you can do that 2 weeks a year and that's before you figure in vacations.

I have been in education now for 13 years. I don't know where you sister works but we here in Ohio don't get paid for time off like everyone thinks. Contracts to teachers are generally based on the number of school days. So lets say you have 185 school days, you are paid for 185 days of service. You can have your check reflect 185 days or have it spread out so you have an income during the summer months while you are not in the classroom. Granted sick days and personal days are a benefit for sure. There is however no paid vacation you earned that money during your school days.

ku7uk3
I have been performing magic since I was 13 even during my college years I performed magic. Worked full time magic comedy and then got into teaching after doing some substituting for a local school. Just so happens that the person I was subbing for was the dram teacher after school. As an entertainer I took on that duty as well. Then I was hooked, I knew I needed to go back to school and become a teacher. Teaching and entertaining for me goes hand in hand. When I am in-front of the classroom giving a lecture I am delivering key points that my students need to understand and comprehend I try to entertain as much as I can while delivering the content. When I perform a magic show the same is true, so for me performing magic is much like teaching a class. My love for performing makes teaching and doing magic for me the best things in the world I could be doing.

I will agree that school systems are forever changing, and if your management is not one who understands that teachers are on the front lines doing what needs to be done to educate and they are not supportive of your goals as an educator it can make for a very harsh working condition. The two school systems I have worked in have been great, they know I am a professional magician and they understand that I do shows in my off time and during holiday breaks. They don't ask anything of me that would interfere with that. In return, I do a free show every year for the students and I head up most of the student activities at the end of the year events.
My first year teaching was the hardest, my teacher mentor said to me, It will never get easier you just learn to manage it better so send them to the office and forget about them. I was also told don't let them see you smile till Christmas break. Now I am a state qualified teacher mentor, and I tell my new teachers stay out of the teacher lounge and smile as much as you can! If you have a classroom issue you cant handle call me and I will help you with it.

Sounds to me you needed a different school district my friend. But truly if your happy with being a full time performer then that is what you were meant to be. Funny because when I was working the local comedy clubs, some of the parents would come in and see my show. On the way out the door they would comment how they loved the comedy and then follow up with so how is Johnny doing for ya in class. Got to love that!

--Floyd
No one said it would be easy, or did they?

Check out my all new book "Chicken Scratches" visit my lulu store for more information.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/thecenterstage

http://www.collinscomedymagic.com
BScott8870
View Profile
Loyal user
Texas
231 Posts

Profile of BScott8870
Floyd,

Trying dealing with 30+ 12-14 year olds everyday of the week. Then add to that some of them being in gangs, selling drugs and 80% are latch key kids with little parental interaction and virtually no discipline.

Oh yes, also you have to deal with all of the state laws and coming up with individual lessons for students that have disabilities, grading papers and then continuing professional education courses in the summer.

I just did 1 weeks worth of classes. You may think teaching is easy, but anyone who is a good teacher will tell you that it is a TOUGH job that is UNDERAPPRECIATED, UNDERPAID and OVER WORKED.
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
BScott8870,

Never said it was EASY, I have been a teacher full time for 13 years now!! I teach High School and have the same, creating IEP's, blended classes with behavior issues and every alphabet issue student you can think of, ADD, ADHD you name it the whole ball of wax. I am in the classroom five days a week, 195 days a year. Everything you said is true! but does not mean some of us don't enjoy the challenge of it. I hope you did not get from my enjoyment that I think teaching is easy!! Nothing in life is easy that is worth doing. And yes we all continue to take classes for professional development but that's all part of the job.

--Floyd
No one said it would be easy, or did they?

Check out my all new book "Chicken Scratches" visit my lulu store for more information.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/thecenterstage

http://www.collinscomedymagic.com
Dirko
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
294 Posts

Profile of Dirko
I think any good teacher would say it is not an easy job. I remember my first couple years working many 12+ hour days. But when you really love your job you do not mind all of the work that is associated with it.

Ace of hearts -- Keep up the good work. We need more teachers like you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Quit being a teacher and go magic full-time (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL