The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Levent on the "Sympathetic Silks" (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
feifei
View Profile
Regular user
United Kingdom
180 Posts

Profile of feifei
Levent, I definitely enjoyed reading your article about the history and how you came about with your routine. Thanks for sharing it as it was a long one to write.
I also loved very much your performances on Masters of Illusion! Wonderful!!!
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1344 Posts

Profile of Stucky
I got a magic (VHS) video as a kid and they taught simple effects but did performance only of others. SS was one of them and I thought, "Screw this rubber and quarter trick, I wanna learn the silks effect!"

I have always loved this and even used it on and off for years. Mind you, your routine blows any others that might be done nowadays out of the water so...
Official Thread Killer
HerbS
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of HerbS
Levent,
Like others, I very much enjoyed reading about how you developed your Sympathetic Silks routine. I've returned to serious study of magic recently after a long period, and have benefited from your materials, particularly your amazing Miser's Dream DVDs.

But that's another story. In the meantime, I decided to work on Sympathetic Silks and while collecting various references came across your routine on YouTube (which is fabulous, by the way).

My main question here is about the silks that you use. Would you be willing to provide any more detail about the type of fabric you bought and how the silks were hemmed? I really like the way those silks look. I purchased six 24" silks from a magic shop and while they probably are fine for my purposes, at least while I'm learning the routine, I have a feeling that something more durable might be better in the end. Also, then I could choose the specific color shades I wanted. I don't have a sewing machine, so would probably end up enlisting the services of a friend or hiring someone to cut the fabric and hem the silks.

I've seen other discussions on the board about silk weight. So, I assume that silk fabric of specific weight can be bought in most good fabric shops, yes?

Thanks for any advice.

Herb
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
Hi I just saw this post.

First a message to Stucky: A belated Thanks!!!

Second a message to Herb: When I first developed the routine, I purchased the trick called "Charlie Miller's Knot Control" from Magic Inc. in Chicago. Basically it was a few pages of instructions and six woman's headscarves. I believe the scarves that came with the trick were purchased in a large quantity from a wholesaler by either Jay Marshall or Charlie Miller. The scarves were very strong and slick, slippery and had a kind of water repellent quality to them. I wish I knew more about the material, but I don't. Sadly, the printed patterns and colors on these scarves were in my opinion, extremely ugly. So, I felt that I needed better looking scarves.

I did however practice a lot with those Magic Inc. scarves and it is with them I invented my original techniques for the trick. I went to a fabric store and found material that closest matched the feel of the Magic Inc. scarves. I think the best way to describe the material is the say that they feel like the fabric that is used on a umbrella.

Someone told me that Magic Inc. no longer has those scarves (that were probably purchased 30 or 40 years ago) in stock, but you could check yourself.

I am definitely not the best person with a needle and thread, but I will tell you exactly how I hemmed the silks. I used a hot steam Iron and made a crease along the edge of the fabric. I used a sewing machine to make a seam by making a straight stitch very close to the edge. With scissors I cut off the excess material. I folded the seam over on itself and ironed it down. Then I sewed the seam down with a very small Zig-Zag stitch. I don't know if what I am saying makes sense, because I don't know enough about sewing or its nomenclature. But the scarves in my show have held up for about 7 years now, so I guess I did something right.

Good Luck,
Levent
http://www.LeventMagic.com

Check out my new podcast at http://www.MagicQandA.com
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1435 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Levent (and others) ,
I believe those scarves were Nylon that Magic Inc. sold and it does have a natural water repelancy (which is why it is often used as umbrella cover material). So I think you did well with the material choice.

Rather than a Zig zag stitch though, I would recommend just a regular flat stitch which will give even less resistance when the knots are slipped or slided.
BTW- This is just the sort of question that could be answered in more detail (although not so speedily) on Levent's Podcast. More questions please!

Regards to all-
JNeal
visit me @ JNealShow.com
HerbS
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of HerbS
Hey-Levent and JNeal, thanks very much for your advice (JNeal, I saw your post on the other thread). I guess next step for me is to the fabric store. While I thought some day I might learn how to make a fashionable shirt or something, I never really thought it would be silks for magic that would inspire me to learn how to sew! But that seems as good a reason as any. Magic Inc., in fact no longer sells the silks with Knot Control, although they do still sell the manuscript for $10. I will check out the podcast. Sounds great.
revmike
View Profile
Special user
Birdsboro, PA
646 Posts

Profile of revmike
Recently I was on vacation and had the distinct pleasure of seeing Levent perform on the Cruise ship we were on including his version of the Sympathetic Silks - I also wish to add that I sent a note to his cabin, and he had never met me before but he called me the next day and agreed to meet with me and we spent about 45 to 50 minutes just chatting about magic including the Sympathetic Silks and the Linking Rings.

He was a true gentleman and a great entertainer.

Mike
The magic is not in our sleights and illusions, but instead in our ability to bring love and joy.
Jef Eaton
View Profile
Special user
514 Posts

Profile of Jef Eaton
My wife saw him last week on a cruise for her sister'e birthday and said he was excellent!
She told him he was a credit to the profession.
I agreee. His thinking and depth of routining are amazing.
I have to get one of his DVD's.
kandumagic.com
<BR>jjeaton@aol.com
<BR>Creator of what my Mom thinks are the funniest kid show props around!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22041 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I also purchased the original Charlie Miller Knot Control from Magic Inc. This material was ,as I see it, just 100% nylon shiny material. Not very large, but okay for the job, I remember thinking if this is correct, as all the claims at that time were, that in order to do the Sympathetic Silks correctly, you had to have very small hems.

Levent is correct in his explanation of hemming the silks, although on my machine, there is an attachment that can be attached to make a French hem, this folds over the material's edge onto itself as it stitches.

Singer sewing machine publishes a great book on sewing with pictures for a reasonable price for beginners. I suggest all who visit a fabric store that sells sewing machines and pick up a beginners book on sewing by hand and machine. You can learn a lot in a very short time.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3399 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
When I hem silks, I just sew it twice. Once to create the first fold/crease, and then a second time to fold over the unfinished edge. I only do it this way because I don't the attachment, which I think creats what is called a "rolled edge."

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22041 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
No James it is called a French Seam. It may just be larger then it should be, as standard seams are from 1/4" to 5/8" for cloths. In magic they should be 1/16", but if you get an 1/8" most magicians can live with that.

Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
Quote:
On 2010-05-02 15:52, revmike wrote:
Recently I was on vacation and had the distinct pleasure of seeing Levent perform on the Cruise ship we were on including his version of the Sympathetic Silks - I also wish to add that I sent a note to his cabin, and he had never met me before but he called me the next day and agreed to meet with me and we spent about 45 to 50 minutes just chatting about magic including the Sympathetic Silks and the Linking Rings.

He was a true gentleman and a great entertainer.

Mike

Hi Rev MIke and Jef Eaton:

I just saw your posts! Thanks for the nice comments!!

As far as the seams on the Silks. Clearly when it comes to sewing I am clueless, but I kind of faked it with the machine and made it work. Whhegbli is right about getting a book on sewing. The next time I do something like this, I'll take his advice.

Best regards to all,
Levent
Matman
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of Matman
Sorry to revive this post, but...

My wife and I saw Levent on a cruise last week. We both loved your performance. You had us laughing through your show. My wife loved the bunny. I told it was not real Smile You did the Sympathetic silks and it was wonderful. I really enjoyed the 'not' and the 'knot' signs with the 1 K run between the two. I was certainly entertained. Thank you for such a great show. Now as an aside ... Levent did one show on the 5 day cruise, what did you do for the rest of the time on the ship? ( I know, probably a silly question)

Matt
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
Hi Matt:

I'm glad to hear that you and your wife enjoyed my show. The rabbit may not be real, but I suspect that he thinks that he is alive. =:)

In answer to your query, there is certainly a social aspect to ship life and for many years it was essentially a big party. But with the advent of the laptop computer the majority of my free time is consumed by research on various magic and literary projects as well as photography.

Best regards,
Levent (on my way home from a convention in Finland)
P.S. If you ever are on a ship again with a magician, please make an effort to contact the performer. Most cruise ship magicians I know, love to meet other magicians while at sea!
AndrewJ
View Profile
New user
Travis County, TX
70 Posts

Profile of AndrewJ
Quote:
On 2009-03-27 19:46, Levent wrote:
The earliest reference I found was in the classic 1910 book “Magicians Tricks and How They Are Done” by Henry Hatton and Adrian Plate. After that book, there seems to be enormous interest in the trick and so many published ways of doing it. In fact in my library I found versions of the “Sympathetic Silks” described in more than 35 old books and I scanned all the references and created a PDF file for the trick that was nearly 300 pages long!
I loved reading your process, and this part really stuck out to me. People have liked calling me "researcher" over the past couple of years. I recently found some of this to be personally very helpful -- and want to say "thank you."

I really did enjoy seeing someone do something that different with a silk routine. My oldest son - then five - demanded to watch it with me every week. He laughed very hard at some of the ways the "K"/knot would travel.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5700 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Levent,

I loved the routine! I also love to read about how a routine comes into being - not necessarily the method, but the process. This kind of description really stimulates others, so that they can create original material.
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
Thanks AndrewJ and Alan Munro:

I personally find the process of research to be a lot of fun. In a way it is like a treasure hunt for ideas and since this stuff is from long ago, your not stepping on anyones toes when you use these old ideas. The way I see it you are honoring the past performers by bringing their ideas back to life.

Levent
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1726 Posts

Profile of wally
I am thinking of adding the sympathetic silks, I saw Alexander de covas dvd last week, it got me searching, now just watched Paul potassy, must get his dvd. is there one any better. thank you.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1726 Posts

Profile of wally
Wish I could fing Levents clip of SS, it will not play on youtube here in UK. is anyone using p. potassy ss, what size silks work best.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22041 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Nov 18, 2014, wally wrote:
Wish I could fing Levents clip of SS, it will not play on youtube here in UK. is anyone using p. potassy ss, what size silks work best.

In Paul Potassy's book, it is mentioned he made them to be 75 cm. The hem is hand rolled and hand sewn. He made them out of normal silk fabric found at most high quality fabric stores. But if you are on the Champs-Elysees in Paris, you may discover them at the same place Paul Postssy found them. The material is manufactured in Lyon, France.

There is an L&L DVD on the Silk Magic Vol. 2 topic with Paul Potassy's routine and explanation. It is also available for instant download at http://llepub.com/index.php?main_page=pr......s_id=473

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Levent on the "Sympathetic Silks" (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL