The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Owning a big illusion, getting a stage show, realizing dreams <????> (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Bradacal
View Profile
Special user
595 Posts

Profile of Bradacal
Honestly, there is some GREAT advice here, advice I wish I saw when I was 14/15 years old.

I guess my input would be not to be fooled by other young magicians who are your age or even slightly older, who have 'big' shows and say they are out touring etc etc; chances are they aren't and chances are that most of there props are either borrowed, rented or home built for when they actually do get to perform on the big stage. I remember when I was 15/16 yrs old, I thought for sure I was going to be 'the next big star' and that I was already a superstar in magic. I put together a show that played in 2 theatres, but truth be told, it wasn't very good at all. From there I decided to start from the bottom and work my way up; I never was given $$ by parents or a 'big break', all the props and illusions I have now, I earned myself and I wouldn't have it any other way. I did birthdays, private events and schools for the longest time. Then I was 20 and invested in my first illusion, and gradually bought more and built up a solid show all the while I was building presentation skills; now Im 26 and perform full-time since high school, a lot of which is in theatres and auditoriums but honestly the bulk is CORPORATE and even the occasional private party because I really enjoy it - I built up a good name in my area and went with it......you can have all the fancy illusions you want, but you need to have presence on stage and that will be something that doesn't come overnight, it develops in time, just like a good show.

With that said, do what you are good at - don't be influenced by other young magicians who come on here saying that they are 'this' or 'that', very few (if any) are actually doing what they are saying.

Good luck with everything. There is some GREAT advice in this thread, take it and use it wisely.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2476 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On 2009-04-11 12:25, Athena Johnson wrote:
... that will teach you how to produce your own theater show with lights, music, staging, etc and how to do it on a shoestring budget.

I think it's fine to sink your money (or in some cases your parent's money) into doing a one-off show, but let's be realistic about it. It's not really working professionally. It happens all the time here in LA. The venues for that are called "Ego Rooms" by the insiders as it's just a chance to invite your friends, have them pay for your show and video tape it to act like you're working. It doesn't prove anything except that you're willing to spend your own money to do a show. It might be a better option to try and develop a better act so that people will actually pay you to perform and earn the right to do a full show. We see shows every week here in town where someone is doing yet another "One Man (or Woman) Show" or assembling a "concert of dance" that ends up being amateurish and indulgent. Does it actually "run"? No, it's one show or maybe a few days depending on how much they can afford. If you're actually four-walling you're not doing it for ego but to make money. Many rooms are done like that in Vegas. You pay for the venue, promote it and make money if it's a good show. If it's not, you typically close owing a lot.

Lest you think I'm bagging on self-produced shows, I'm not. There have some amazing magicians that have done this that are exceptional. It just seems that many others are done more for ego than money. I've seen this type by some VERY well known names in magic that were dreadful and they lost a lot of money on it.

I've always thought that if you work and become good enough, people will hire you to do what you're good at. If it's a 7 minute act or a full evening show, they will hire you.

Better to spend the money on getting better, improving your product and creating a better package. It seems now that people just want to get themselves a video of their "big show", make posters, create a glossy promo package, then learn how to walk on stage.
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
Bradacal
View Profile
Special user
595 Posts

Profile of Bradacal
Quote:
On 2009-04-11 23:08, WDI Magic wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-04-11 12:25, Athena Johnson wrote:
... that will teach you how to produce your own theater show with lights, music, staging, etc and how to do it on a shoestring budget.

I think it's fine to sink your money (or in some cases your parent's money) into doing a one-off show, but let's be realistic about it. It's not really working professionally. It happens all the time here in LA. The venues for that are called "Ego Rooms" by the insiders as it's just a chance to invite your friends, have them pay for your show and video tape it to act like you're working. It doesn't prove anything except that you're willing to spend your own money to do a show. It might be a better option to try and develop a better act so that people will actually pay you to perform and earn the right to do a full show. We see shows every week here in town where someone is doing yet another "One Man (or Woman) Show" or assembling a "concert of dance" that ends up being amateurish and indulgent. Does it actually "run"? No, it's one show or maybe a few days depending on how much they can afford. If you're actually four-walling you're not doing it for ego but to make money. Many rooms are done like that in Vegas. You pay for the venue, promote it and make money if it's a good show. If it's not, you typically close owing a lot.

Lest you think I'm bagging on self-produced shows, I'm not. There have some amazing magicians that have done this that are exceptional. It just seems that many others are done more for ego than money. I've seen this type by some VERY well known names in magic that were dreadful and they lost a lot of money on it.

I've always thought that if you work and become good enough, people will hire you to do what you're good at. If it's a 7 minute act or a full evening show, they will hire you.

Better to spend the money on getting better, improving your product and creating a better package. It seems now that people just want to get themselves a video of their "big show", make posters, create a glossy promo package, then learn how to walk on stage.

WOW! Well said WDI. So many people try to create the 'illusion' that they are working and have 'big show' by doing exactly what you said - 4 walling one show and then editing a promo to the extreme to make themselves look bigger and better than they are. The best way to actually getting work is - work at getting better. I know some people who are trying to do the exact same thing - start at the top, when it just doesn't work like that....and they truly believe it will, but 98% of the time it wont.

Just my .02c.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2476 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Thanks MB... Actualy, I posted this before I read your message... (lol... I know, Once I get going it's hard to stop!) but I felt redundant as you had so many great points as well. I was VERY lucky to be around amazing professionals growing up so I saw the path to the top as one long road paved with years of hard work and discipline. It seems that the current trend is just trying to get to 10,000 hits on YouTube and hoping for a TV special.

Thanks again!

Ray
Ray Pierce
mrwiz
View Profile
New user
Florida
76 Posts

Profile of mrwiz
_MB_: Thanks for the advice/input. Very true and good one. Appreciate it.
Feel free to contact me privately if you want to talk more.

Do you have a web site ? Where you located ?
mrwiz
View Profile
New user
Florida
76 Posts

Profile of mrwiz
WDI Magic: Thanks for your feedback as well. Very true about many just performing and putting a show together just for the ego and not for the money and to brag and think they are all that. Have seen a few like that and such.
Thanks !
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I wouldn't even say for the money or ego, but that you WANT to do a big show.
-Matt
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2476 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On 2009-04-14 10:33, Matthew W wrote:

That's a great point Matt... you have to seriously WANT to go through all of this aggravation to do Illusions... but wanting something is just not enough. I want to fly to the moon tomorrow, but it's probably not going to happen.

I think it's great to tell kids that you can do anything you want and be anyone you want if you try hard enough and believe in your dreams. lol... Ok... I'm an adult now. It's just not true. It's great to dream and want things but the reality is that we don't deserve everything we wish for. We have to earn things... earn them by work, experience, talent, dedication... etc. I know you've done this and we all earn what we eventually get (unless it's stolen which is another discussion!). I think we should put our attention on learning and doing more than just "wanting" something. I know that's how you got what you have.
Ray Pierce
CCPCris
View Profile
Loyal user
Alabama
280 Posts

Profile of CCPCris
One key quesiton you must ask yourself is this. Do you want to do illusions for the ego side, and the attention it gets you, or for the love of the art, and what it gives your audince? A lot of illusions are very painstaingly difficult on the body to mantian and perform.

You have to do it for the love of the art, if not, your intrest in large illusions could fade in time.

If you are in it for the art, here is my advice. Start off building your own props. Some are really simple and very deceptive. Also as you grow in your intrest and in your abilities, you may find you enjoy building many of your own props and ideas. Granted some might have to be built by those with certian areas of expertise that you don't posses, but if you can work with wood, you can build many great props.

don't discount old illusions in Woodbury or Osborne plans. With a creative mind, and theatrical mentality, you can revamp and re routine many illssions, to become your own.
making the unreal, real...really!
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
Quote:
On 2009-04-15 22:34, WDI Magic wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-04-14 10:33, Matthew W wrote:

That's a great point Matt... you have to seriously WANT to go through all of this aggravation to do Illusions... but wanting something is just not enough. I want to fly to the moon tomorrow, but it's probably not going to happen.

I think it's great to tell kids that you can do anything you want and be anyone you want if you try hard enough and believe in your dreams. lol... Ok... I'm an adult now. It's just not true. It's great to dream and want things but the reality is that we don't deserve everything we wish for. We have to earn things... earn them by work, experience, talent, dedication... etc. I know you've done this and we all earn what we eventually get (unless it's stolen which is another discussion!). I think we should put our attention on learning and doing more than just "wanting" something. I know that's how you got what you have.

I could not agree with you more.

You can not simply wait for something to happen. You will be extremely disappointed.

Realizing dreams, as in the threads title, is just that. You love dreams and what happens in them, but when you wake up, you never have what you were dreaming about. Unless you were dreaming about something that already happened, it just never happens like that.

The best thing anyone can do is to work towards what they want and where they want to be.
-Matt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Owning a big illusion, getting a stage show, realizing dreams <????> (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL