The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Owning a big illusion, getting a stage show, realizing dreams <????> (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3621 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
MwWiz-

Some thoughts- please forgive if they have been made as I have not read every post:

1. If you are doing kids shows and want to move to stage, you need to appeal to the adults that are there. Have one or two stage-type effects and do everythig you can to have adults attend the show so they can see some of your more adult stuff. Word of mouth is great advertising- but not by kids so much.

2. Have a "Program" at every show- kids or otherwise. The program serves to advertise your act- it can be more adult, and certainly should include some blatant ad clips, phone number, web address, etc.

3. One of the best ways to get good free advertising is to do good free shows for popular local charities, especially those supported by the media.

4. Great stage shows do not necessarily need big, expensive illusions. A long piece of fat, white rope can be seen from the back row and is about as magical as anything else. 12" rings the same. They do not need to be the expensive kind- you can get those later. Cheap ones work great! Flash cotton and a cheap finger lighter really look great in a routine. Doves are cheap and really neat to work with... etc.

As I said, just some thoughts...

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
mrwiz
View Profile
New user
Florida
76 Posts

Profile of mrwiz
Thanks for your thoughts and feed back. I appreciate it and you are right... will take all that into mind and into action when work into all this when it comes to my show and such.

Speaking about all this I am trying also to find out what to send out in the mail like to businesses and other prospective clients to advertise letting them know about what I have to offer. Like what type of letter to put together, and/or brochure and stuff. No one so far that I have asked would tell me. Like I have asked other magicians for maybe send me out what they are sending out so I can have an idea/guide so I can make my own but nothing.

So then wondering how I can get that info and what to put together to send out and such.

Thanks again for your help and hear from you all soon.
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2894 Posts

Profile of dpe666
I think you may want to read Hustle Hustle and watch the Hustle Intensive 2 videos by Joel Bauer. If you can't book shows after reading and watching those materials you never will. Both are available from Brad Burt. http://www.magicshop.com

:devilish:
mrwiz
View Profile
New user
Florida
76 Posts

Profile of mrwiz
Is this the Hustle Intensive videos you talking about ?
http://store.nexternal.com/shared/StoreF......68992257

Ouch... they are expensive - $159.95
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2894 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Yes, that would be it. It is worth sooooooooooooooooooo much more than the $160. They will more than pay for themselves after the 1st show. Smile
mrwiz
View Profile
New user
Florida
76 Posts

Profile of mrwiz
Ok.. .I will try to see if I can get them at wholesale price.
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2894 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2009-04-02 20:21, mrwiz wrote:

It is a Brad Burt exclusive, so don't bet on it. I get the impression that you are one of the cheapest people on the planet. Smile
mrwiz
View Profile
New user
Florida
76 Posts

Profile of mrwiz
I will look into it, thanks.

The cheapest people on the planet ? LOL
Don't make me laugh. I am sure I am not the only one always looking for the best deals and lowest prices. Also not only in magic items but also things in general. Specially this days how things are and how the economy is.

Am I wrong ? Anyone wants to speak up/comment ? Go ahead. *cough, cough*
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
Quote:

That is not trying to get the best price. Things are at the prices they are for reasons.

It is information that is not for everyone. Those dvds are a collection of what took Joel Bauer a lifetime to learn. Real world experience and advice.
-Matt
mrwiz
View Profile
New user
Florida
76 Posts

Profile of mrwiz
I can see that you don't have bills to pay and other important responsabilities like an adult. When you live with your parents it is much easier to afford the magic tricks and stuff you want since that is the only expenses you have and not necesities to pay. When someone have other main expenses (necesities to live) then have to manage money wisely, and watch every penny (specially in this day's economy)

I am sure many of the adults magicians out there with this responsabilities will agree with me and more reason to look for the best prices and deals !

When you don't have those expenses like you do then you can afford easily all those tricks and whatever you want and such. Momy and daddy will pay for the rest.

This subject was already commented previously at another forum here that someone talked about. I think you posted there too. Then again you post an all the forums seems like. LOL
That was a topic I started and as just said someone commented about it and said that. The same way they said "parents with money".
U can read about it if you forgot at to the topic I posted under Grand Illusion and tittled it:» Owning a big illusion, getting a stage show, realizing dreams <????>
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I do have bills to pay. I do manage money. I find what you say offensive.

I can see that you want everything served to you. You want information, you need to help yourself. You are not always going to get the help you want and you need to realize that. You come on here phishing for secrets, saying you want to buy stuff cheaper than everyone else and insulting people.

I offered you help, like everyone else. You are upset that you are not getting what you want. You can not always have it your way.
-Matt
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7435 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
A quote I love, from a wise teacher:

"I used to say, 'Things cost too much.' Then my teacher straightened me out on that by saying, 'The problem isn't that things cost too much. The problem is that you can't afford it.' That's when I finally understood that the problem wasn't 'it' - the problem was 'me.'" -- Jim Rohn
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
mrwiz
View Profile
New user
Florida
76 Posts

Profile of mrwiz
Ha ha - nice quote. But still reality. Even if can't afford it is always the case that it costs too much since yeah can't afford it because don't have enough money for that and such but we all now in reality and specially this days hard to afford things and everything keeps going up and up in price except the pay (salaries).
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7435 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
When you admit that can't afford it, it is about taking 100% responsibility for the situation. Instead of blaming others / your situation. It's 100% up to you, to find a way to get more money flowing into your life. Others do it, so can you. The key difference in implimentation is all about desire, and getting motivated to take action... that can make the difference between a "wish" and a "goal".

It's also about seeing value in other things. When you learn to see value in other products and services, it becomes easier for you to see value in your own services.

---------------------------------

Tough question, but to the point:

Since starting this thread, how many possible people have you contacted directly about your show (either in person, by phone, by email, or by mail)? What action have you taken to get more shows?

---------------------------------

More relevant quotes from Jim Rohn:

"If you don't like how things are, change it! You're not a tree." -- Jim Rohn

"The key factor that will determine your financial future is not the economy; the key factor is your philosophy." -- Jim Rohn

"Don’t wish it was easier; wish you were better. Don’t wish for less problems; wish for more skills. Don’t wish for less challenges; wish for more wisdom." -- Jim Rohn

"When you know what you want, and you want it bad enough, you will find a way to get it." -- Jim Rohn

"I remember saying to my mentor, 'If I had more money, I would have a better plan.' He quickly responded, 'I would suggest that if you had a better plan, you would have more money.' You see, it's not the amount that counts; it's the plan that counts." -- Jim Rohn

"Don't mistake movement for achievement. It's easy to get faked out by being busy. The question is: Busy doing what?" -- Jim Rohn
mrwiz
View Profile
New user
Florida
76 Posts

Profile of mrwiz
Thanks for the other quotes. I sent you a PM.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7435 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Helpful thread:

--> Magic Café thread titled... The "R" word: recession

(From The Little Darlings area.)

Some performers are doing fine, and some are struggling. And they live in the same areas. So, there must be something different between the two performers.

- Donald
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3621 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Quote:
On 2009-04-02 19:47, mrwiz wrote:

Speaking about all this I am trying also to find out what to send out in the mail like to businesses and other prospective clients to advertise letting them know about what I have to offer. Like what type of letter to put together, and/or brochure and stuff. No one so far that I have asked would tell me. Like I have asked other magicians for maybe send me out what they are sending out so I can have an idea/guide so I can make my own but nothing.

So then wondering how I can get that info and what to put together to send out and such.

Thanks again for your help and hear from you all soon.

Probably just from my own life experiences, but in my opinion asking for actual advertising material for "an idea/guide" crosses the line of propriety.

However, books abound (free in the library) to teach the serious student about the subject. Magazines abound (including magic ones) that display the creative thoughts of well-paid ad execs. TV discloses what a million dollars a minute buys. All good ideas.

As one who receives about 25 unsolicited mailings or phone calls a day (and 50 more by email) I can tell you that just sending out something is fairly worthless. The receiver has to have a reason to care, to read what you are trying to say. Permit me to give you an example:

In my business, we do mailings advertising our service. We only mail to people who have previously expressed an interest to us. These mailings are professionally done, including the important "call to action". Our average expected response to these mailings is 3%!

In my experience, the successful magicians I know of have at lease one common attribute- they are creative. "Creative" can make things out of nothing, like magic! Creative can outrun smarts, bypass the old and bring in the new, make do with what is, and more.

The good news is, most of us have creative lurking somewhere deep inside. Was it Edison who said it was 90% perspiration? That's the rub - it's not easy, not at all. But if Edison had not been creative, he would only have invented a larger candle.

I certainly hope some of this makes sense...

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Poveglia
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, FL
238 Posts

Profile of Poveglia
Quote:

The local club auctions are a great source for cheap illusions. Some of the conventions have auctions as well. Recently, I saw dollhouses, mismades, and zig-zags for under $200. Its out there.

Wow! I wish I could find those deals!!!! I'd be on them like flies on....nm

Hey, um I know its presumptious and you probably don't know me well, but if you ever see a zig zag, mismade etc for $200 please for the love of God buy it and I will so pay you for it asap.

Scouts honor on that! I'll even sign a legally binding contract on that!

I've been so desperate, I was actually considering buying from Snap Illusions.....*sigh
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1361 Posts

Profile of M Sini
Quote:
On 2009-03-28 20:46, Mad Jack wrote:
Well, there really is a lot of good advice on here! After 22 years doing large illusions on big stages all over the U.S. and Asia, I have learned 3 things.

1)Buy a sword basket as your first real illusion. This is advice that Johnathan Pendragon gave me as a kid and I am passing it on. It is the best illusion you can own as a beginning illusionist (more on this later). Other magicians that come to your show may not think so, but it is... Which brings me to number

2)Never care what other magicians think you your sword basket! (they are usually not the people paying your salary)

3) Make your own destiny. Meaning: Don't sit around waiting for the phone to ring. Don't (when you do get some illusions and a good working promo DVD) wait for agents and producers to give you your "big break". You are playing incredible odds and it probably won't happen. We now live in an age where you have to (for the most part) produce yourself if you want to be sure to "realize your dreams".

Now... About that sword basket. It is reletively small, inexpensive (an Abbott's runs around $400 and can be painted, put in a base and re-themed to look almost as good as an Owen's), and is easy to stage under ANY conditions. It is AMAZING to almost any audience and can't be figured out during set-up, tear-down, etc. Even if people come up after your show and look inside, they are just as amazed because it is just a basket! (Try having someone examine your origami after the show and see where that gets you.) It also will teach you (and your assistant) how to move well and interact well together in front of an audience. I just did my Chalet basket last night (Fri. 3-27-09) and from behind the curtain I heard people talking about it after the show. They had no idea how it was done. It never ceases to amaze me....LOL...

Just my random thoughts...

Mad Jack

Great advice from Mad Jack. I caught his show in NC and it was excellent.
mrwiz
View Profile
New user
Florida
76 Posts

Profile of mrwiz
Poveglia:

If I come accross those illlusions for that price I will let you know.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Owning a big illusion, getting a stage show, realizing dreams <????> (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL