The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Demise of Abracadabra (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
691 Posts

Profile of Leslie Melville
Abracadabra - The World's Only Magical Weekly' is no more! I received my final copy this morning. It contained the following announcement:

"There is a saying that 'a week's a long time in politics' and this, so it would seem, also applies to publishing. For since our confident announcement last week that Abra was going to change hands, when the latest operational information was reviewed, the prospective owner understandably felt unable to progress with the acquisition of Abra.

It is therefore with a heavy heart and a great deal of sadness that we must announce that this will be the last issue of Abracadabra Magazine.........".

It feels almost like a bereavement. Abra has been around for almost my entire magical life. The fact that it has been published since it began without fail EVERY WEEK(!) is a phenomenal achievement in itself.

Credit to the Davenport family for taking the magazine over after Goodliffe's passing and continuing to maintain and improve the quality of the publication.

Alas it was ultimately to no avail. The ability of the internet to relay information by the minute(second?) makes inviable the sustainability of a weekly hard copy magazine.

Editor Walt Lees has done a great job in the short time that he has occupied the chair vacated by my old friend and long serving editor Donald Bevan. The Davenport family gave the Abra a face-lift and really tried hard. So many thanks guys for all your efforts.

The magical world will be just a little diminished by the absence of the old girl.

Leslie
Stories....?....That's telling!
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1479 Posts

Profile of Piers
Seconded.

Very sad that this great tome is no more.

Piers.
Smile

www.justgiving.com/piers-cancer-fund

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-2

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-3

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2016!

As seen on the QE2 and QM2.

Author of Salem's Cornucopia - SUC Book
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of 1908
Very sad news...although the last years I was not a subscriber,it reminds me when I first started magic and I was so excited every week waiting for abra...Smile
There I found the first addresses of magic clubs,magic shops and no internet was available those years...only mail...Smile
Don't wait for the perfect moment...Take a moment and make it perfect!!!
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2525 Posts

Profile of NeilS
My two loves in life (apart from my family) are writing and magic/mentalism.

As a struggling writer my hopes were continually being dashed by repeated rejections. All my writing was being rejected - until one day I decided to send an item to Abra. Donald Bevan wrote back the next day accepting the piece and enclosed a small postal order. I was over the moon.

This was my very first acceptance and I will always be grateful for the boost Abra gave me. Over the years my writing career took off but Abra was a very important milestone.

I will always be grateful.

Neil
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Demise of Abracadabra (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL