The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Found an article on busking. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2720 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Here's a link to an article; "Busk or Bust" from a violinist. The article was very interesting, but the comments caught my eye. Basically, who threw up in "Joel's" corn flakes?

http://www.violinist.com/blog/fiddleheads/20077/7224/
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Some of the information in that article is BS. Josh Bell was put up to busking by a news organization to see how well he would do. He did abysmally.

I also find it hard to believe that Simon and Garfunkel and some of the other acts he mentioned did any serious busking. Working open mike at coffee houses and/or comedy clubs is not busking.

Could be, though. Stranger things have happened.

I do know that well-taught musicians busking in Europe are not uncommon. I've seen them in Cologne, Vienna, Salzburg and Munich. But all of them know how to attract a crowd and GTFM.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2720 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
The article states that Bell was there as an experiment set up by the newspaper.

It also states that he didn't make very much money and has a new "appreciation" for what buskers have to go through.

I could see S&G in their "Tom and Jerry" days in a park somewhere doing old folk songs.
Ain't life unkind?"
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
443 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
From Wikipedia...
Quote:
Buskers include Joan Baez, Edith Piaf, Roni Benise, The Blue Man Group, Pierce Brosnan, Jimmy Buffett, George Burns, Cirque du Soleil, Eric Clapton, Judy Collins, Bob Dylan, Joe Strummer, Stephane Grappelli, Bob Hope, Jewel, Steve Martin, Joni Mitchell, Jimmy Page, Dolly Parton, Penn & Teller, Gerry Rafferty, Carlos Santana, Simon and Garfunkel, Rod Stewart, Stomp and Robin Williams. Many other buskers have also found fame and fortune.

It used to be much larger and funnier but someone got wise and realized people were just adding their favorite artist...
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2720 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
That's the problem with Wikipedia, people thinking they're funny and messing up good information.
Ain't life unkind?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Found an article on busking. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL