The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Society of American Magicians! » » Magic Loans (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Poveglia
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, FL
238 Posts

Profile of Poveglia
Magic Loans.......

......Like you hand me the money and I wave my wand *waves wand* and the money disappears! I go home happy, but the spectator may be looking for me after the show!

Just kidding (lame humor I know)

But on a serious note, I have been wanting to get into stage magic for a long time now. I really want to preform the "classics" of magic. I know I am very confident on a stage in front of a room full of people, in my job I brief an auditorium of 300+ soldiers on a daily basis, and I'm never afraid. Probably cause I outrank most of them =P

But in all seriousness, I really, REALLY (always been a dream) want to do stage magic. Right now, I preform street magic, close up and parlor type effects. The effects I really want to do (the 'classics' I referred to) are: Zig Zag Girl, Asrah Levitation, Assistants Revenge, Sawing assistant in half, Dekolta Chair, etc, etc....the lists goes on and on. Problem is, I am the most unhandy guy around when it comes to building stuff, so blueprints are out of the question for me. I also look at stores that build these illusions (been looking at Snap Illusions) and even a single effect is way out of my price range.

Then I play the lottery now and again, hoping to hit like 20k and jump start my stage illusion collection. I don't think I need to tell you how that is going....=(

I know a majority of magicians probably start small, and as they do shows, etc they save up money and slowly acquire the "big" effects.

My problem with that is
1.- I am in the Army, so my spare time to do "shows" for cash is VERY limited.

2.- I love magic, could care less about the money. The only money I care about is the quarter or dollar bill I'm using in an effect.

3.- Kids shows are the money maker. I do not like kids shows. Sounds bad, but its just not my thing. I'm a tattooed, foul mouthed guy and probably not the most "kid-friendly" magician. Sounds worse than it really is.

4.- I have done ONE kids show to date, and I refused to accept a payment for it (it was a guy in my unit...his kids bday). In fact, I lost money at that show because I refused to be paid and I brought the kid a magic set for his bday and gave it to him after his show. Set me back like $40 but it made me happy and if anything, I brought a new young mind into magic.

So, as you can see, my business ethics and personal preferences make me a very broke magician. The reason I want these effects is for my personal collection (I want my kids to look in the garage and see these effects, when I'm dead and tell my grand kids about what I did), and I want to put on shows for my wounded battle buddies.

Anyways, does anyone from SAM know of a bank or any agency that can "jump start" a magicians career and bankroll?

I am very interested in this. Think I may have to raise my credit score a bit though =P

Or, even better, does anyone know of an agency where you can "win" these big effects or even get a grant for magic?

My other option is to jump on as many deployments as I can and save all the "big bucks" we make in the sandbox. =P

Any information you guy provide is very appreciated.

-Will
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
The solution may be closer than you think. I performed with several traveling holiday military-sponsored showcases back in the 80's. The tours were sponsored through morale and recreation provisions and covered US & NATO military bases throughout Europe. Most of the showcase performers were drawn from local and regional talent competitions while others were hand picked from command recommendations.

Granted, I retired from the Air Force in '92 and things have changed a great deal since then. But, I suspect that MWR is still open to entertainment opportunities within the ranks. In your shoes, I would consider putting together a grant proposal outlining your experience and goals. Submit this through your local military morale office.

Outline a pro-military program with your specific needs for creating such a program. Push the recruiting potential (a big deal these days) of using an all-enlisted cast and crew. Incorporate Copperfield's Project Magic for therapeutic recovery among injured vets.

I believe the morale funding is there for the right person with a powerful creative vision. Make an appointment to ask for advice from a senior MWR or USO Entertainment manager. Good luck!
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Another option might be to get a book on how to make some of these effects. They DO exist. I also know that one of the magic magazines prints plans for some of the classic effects. Can't remember which one right off the top.

One dumb question, though, why post this in the SAM forum. I know there's a forum on stage magic on this site that might better suit your needs.

MagiClyde
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
The vast majority of magicians who have moved from parlor/stage magic to illusions did it one illusion at a time. Generally starting with a less expensive one. You might look at some of the things Creative Magic makes, or something out of Mark Wilson's complete course in Magic, or the Grant Illusions. Then they add one new illusion a year, increasing the price of illusions as their show and income grows.

Banks are not prone to loan you money without collateral and proof that you have more than ample means to repay them.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Sixten
View Profile
Inner circle
Floral Park, NY, U.S.A.
4277 Posts

Profile of Sixten
Hi Will:

As a suggestion:
Ask the U.S.O., or your C.O., if there are any magic illusions kept in
storage, that you may borrow? It may be a start? Hey, "You Never Know", until you
ask. (As you know, better than me, It's absolutely 'UNBELIEVABLE' what our Government has, tucked away in storage!)

Good luck to you, and thanks for being there for us!

Sixten:D
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
I was looking through my MUM magazines and realized that they do have a section devoted to making props both for parlor and some for stage illusions. If you are a member, you may want to peruse your issues and see if there are any illusions in there that meet your needs.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Society of American Magicians! » » Magic Loans (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL