The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Magic Makers Acquires SS Adams Co (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
chefmagic
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of chefmagic
The products are being shipped 50 diff. products at a time for inventory purposes until all is spoken for. The products will be promoted a few at a time. I was told that the prices will be about the same if not less.
Mike

Magic Legacy - Low prices on great magic!
www.magiclegacy.net
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Much of that stuff was made in the OLD factory by OLD employees....well, China gets more biz. Hope david did ok on the sale.

Get your copy of Pleasant Nightmares while you can!!!
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
David has maintained the book titles.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Ah good. I've got one for him. ;-)
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Wow...my first exposure to magic retail was an Adams spinner rack in a locally owned drug store when I was eight years old. I hope MM carries on the tradition well.

As an aside (and if anyone can direct me to a previous thread) is there anything other than "knock off" product (which I wholeheartedy abhor!) that separates MM from the vast majority of wholesale suppliers?
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Adama products are where I got my start in magic. When I was 9 and bought my ball and vase and my coin box, I felt like I was a real professional magician.

Even today when I see the Adams products on a rotating rack, it brings back very fond memories.

David
doormouse
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of doormouse
Truly sad news. An Icon has passed.
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
What else separates them? Lets see, they are making magic affordable for many, manufacturing several quality pieces, and keeping many magic dealers in business.

Yes, they carry knock offs, but so do Mak, Fun Inc, Loftus, Magic City, and possibly even Murphys.

Mak even carries knock offs of their own products!

Most manufactures, dealers and distributors are in business to make money, and that is what matters.
-Matt
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Yes, Loftus had ripped off the entire SS Adams line which was one of the reasons it was sold.

But that does not make rip offs right!!

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
adam christopher
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of adam christopher
I always loved Adams Magic because it came with my name on it already 8-) The end of an era indeed!

AC
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
That's really sad. I always loved S.S. Adams
Ironhorse
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Ironhorse
It's too bad to see the S.S. Adams name become just another brand.

Does anyone know why David Haversat sold out or why he couldn't carry the S.S. Adams torch any longer? I can understand selling if he was losing money in the business but now he appears to have his own Thurston Magic line so I'm not sure what the business considerations were.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
From what I understand, it had to do with government required testing and the costs associated with it due to the location of where many of the products were manufactured. There was an interesting post elsewhere on the required lead testing on double headed nickles...
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
A lot of it had to do with the testing. It roughly costs $1500 per item to have it tested. This entire line had been ripped off by Loftus or Empire (I can't rember which). So he was looking at over a 1/4 millon in testing alone. Then they started changing the warning labels and packaging for stuff. It was way out of hand.

David did a lot to revitalize and reestablish the S.S. Adams name but simply could not keep up trying to keep it a viable money making busines. Selling to Magic Makers was the best way to try to keep the name in the country and still going.

Yes, the goverment did want him to tested the double sided coins. Thank you to the lovely goverment ideas. It was their coins, put together back to back with a little Elmer's glue. Maybe the goverment should start testing their own products.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Peter Cuddihy
View Profile
Veteran user
Peter S. Cuddihy
369 Posts

Profile of Peter Cuddihy
I met with Chris Adams, the grandson of S.S. Adams, at the S.S. Adams factory back in February of 2009, who told me then that the new stringent regulations being put into place would be the undoing of the company. Sadly, he was right.

In addition to having to compete with products being made in China (many of Adams' own that were copied by others), he told me that one U.S. magic company threatened to send the entire S.S. Adams line to China and pay someone there to make knock offs of them if Adams did not agree to sell its prodcuts to that U.S. magic company for a lower price than it was selling them for.

So, the government, China and one of our very own businesses here in the U.S. (which will remain unnamed) all had a hand in the sale of S.S. Adams. By the way, Magic Makers was not the U.S. company I am referring to above. Magic Makers just happened to be the beneficiary of S.S. Adams' misfortune. Let's hope that Magic Makers keeps the brand name of S.S. Adams going strong with good products. It would also be nice if Magic Makers could keep the manufacturing base in Neptune, New Jersey, where Adams was based.
lebowski
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of lebowski
Given the above info, can someone tell me why Magic Makers will have a better chance of carrying on the Adams name than Adams?
Ironhorse
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Ironhorse
Maybe Magic Makers have deeper pockets to pay for all the testing required.

Demanding a mint to pay for mandatory testing supposedly in the name of keeping the kiddies safe just so the Government can line its pockets...

I can't wait to read about the sharp decline of fatality rates among Adams customers once all the testing is done. I don't want to die of lead poisoning from the Imp Bottle.

I understand perfectly why the other U.S. magic maker won't be named but I'd sure like to know what brand not to buy from anymore.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Another reason next election day to OUST ALL INCUMBANTS. ARGHHH... CHANGE? HAH! YES, LET'S CHANGE THE PEOPLE IN GOVERNMENT.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
tian_ci
View Profile
Elite user
Knoxville, TN
477 Posts

Profile of tian_ci
Stinkin government trying to make sure poisenous products aren't being flooded into our market.
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
I would just put a disclosure on each product.

Double Sided Nickle

2 Nickels $0.10 (Business Cost)
Glue $0.02 (Business Cost)
Packaging $0.35 (Business Cost)
Distribution $0.22 (Business Cost)
Insurance, etc. $0.22 (Business Cost)
Testing $9.50 (Government Sanctioned)
EPA Regulations $2.50 (Government Sanctioned)
Health Insurance $0.76 (Government Sanctioned)
Additional Ins. $2.00 (Due to additional litigation as a result of government regulations)
Profit $0.09

Original Cost of Product $0.99
Cost of New and Improved Model $15.75
Coram Deo
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Magic Makers Acquires SS Adams Co (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL