The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paper BUTTERFLY Effect........ (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1256 Posts

Profile of Salby
Anyone know where I can purchase this effect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rA5QNogGJw&feature=related
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
Suux88
View Profile
Loyal user
201 Posts

Profile of Suux88
Dam if you told me they were real bflies I would believe you
bryanlonden
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
583 Posts

Profile of bryanlonden
I found another person performing this...he mentions it's from Japan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEd4_D2xOuM&feature=related

I'm interested in this as well.
NEW Conscious clothing to inspire yourself and others.

http://www.thisisdivisions.com
Billgussen
View Profile
Elite user
Central Japan
497 Posts

Profile of Billgussen
DP Group in Japan makes a version of this. They are smaller and a different color (yellow) than the video Salby posted, but they are workable tissue butterflies. If Seo Magic U.S.A. doesn't carry them on their site, you can probably special order them through Seo or UGM or any other site that specializes in Japanese magic and has English language support. They aren't expensive -- maybe $15 bucks for hundreds and hundreds of tissue butterflies.

Bill
alex_pandrea
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of alex_pandrea
Speaking about butterfly tricks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QguKKph5fcs&feature=related

enjoy haha
alex^
Nechto
View Profile
Special user
UK
871 Posts

Profile of Nechto
Do you just get the tissue butterflies and you have to figure out the flying bit on your own?!?

Ben
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
I'm not sure if everyone is playing along, and I'm about to ruin the fun, but the butterflies themselves are usually made on the spot.

However, the method can be found in print in many sources. I can't think of a specific book right now, I seem to recall reading it somewhere online via the allmagicguide.com or try allmagic.com . I think it was in a magic reader perhaps. A file discussing the history of the effect I believe.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Though, the videos linked, the performers are not using the "usual" air supply. Of course it can be done to appear like they are doing it, but it requires a bit more expense than the usual way.

Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Doesn't this trick go back yeeeeeeears ago?? Been in print a lot of times. I think one of the first explanatiions was given in Professor Hoffman's Modern Magic, and then in Edwin Sachs' Sleight Of Hand.

Jean Hugard published a version in Hugard's Magic Monthly combining it with Snowstorm in China. Edwin of the Supreme Magic Co. put out a small m/s entitled, Chinese Flying Butterflies.

There was also a version in Paper Magic by Will Blyth, called it Moths of Japan.It is also pictured in Milbourne Christopher's Panorama of Magic
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Billgussen
View Profile
Elite user
Central Japan
497 Posts

Profile of Billgussen
Ben, the package I got had instructions, but they were in Japanese. There were a few pictures, so someone who can't read Japanese isn't left completely in the dark, but if you can't read the words, you don't get any of the performance tips in the instructions.

GDW, are they really made on the spot, or are they just made to look like they're made on the spot? I'd think it would be difficult to rip up tissue in the form of a reasonable butterfly.
Or am I just not playing along?

Bill
Nechto
View Profile
Special user
UK
871 Posts

Profile of Nechto
Thanks Billgussen,

This looks like a cracking effect, very magical. This would be a great thing to do for the ladies, I make napkin roses and levitate them at the moment, but this would be great to do as well.

Ben
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
I know they are often made on the spot, but they do not look as pristine as the one's in the video with the woman doing the effect.

Lseeyou
View Profile
Inner circle
1271 Posts

Profile of Lseeyou
Speaking about butterflies: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrRzcYoO5ns
350zTT
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of 350zTT
I looked for them but still haven't found them yet! Billgussen where did you purchase them! I like this effect alot!
Titanas
View Profile
V.I.P.
1995 Posts

Profile of Titanas
Oh Dear,
That Rocco video was AMAZING!
Thanks Elcio
Product Developer @ Murphys Magic Supplies
Billgussen
View Profile
Elite user
Central Japan
497 Posts

Profile of Billgussen
I probably can't help you with 'where' since I purchased mine by going down to the local (Nagoya) Tokyu Hands discount department store and picking them up in the magic department. Most people on this board can't do that.

Here's what I would do if I were still living in the states. I'd e-mail Seo Magic U.S.A., and ask them how much it'd be to special order "Kocho no Mai" or Dancing Butterflies from DP Group. If they can't help you, try UGM with the same question. Both stores (websites) have English-language support, and I'm sure that both carry DP Group products.

The butterflies aren't especially detailed. They're only about 2 inches at their widest point and single-color yellow, but they look very good when flying using a hand fan (especially two at once), and you do get a huge number of them in a single package. If you can find matching-color tissue, you can make it look like a killer impromptu-looking effect. (Of course it won't be impromptu, but you can make it seem that way.)

Bill
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Quote:
On 2009-04-02 05:43, Christopher Williams wrote:
I think one of the first explanatiions was given in Professor Hoffman's Modern Magic

Yes, it's there. Kind of ironic that it is now a topic under "Latest and Greatest."
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
magicbob116@yahoo.com
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Jack Merlin has a DVD produced by Bill Abbott that goes into incredible detail about this trick. I believe the set is called "Merlin's Classic Workers" (Set of 2 DVDs) Presented by Bill Abbott's Professional Artist Series.

Excellent material presented by someone that really performs for a living.

The thing people need to realize is, why is it a close up shot? What is on the floor? I'll bet it's really loud. I tried to rig a way to get snowstorms higher while I was fanning them and finally abandoned the idea. Either weight,noise or bulk was just too much.
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
puffinmonkey
View Profile
Elite user
Seattle
437 Posts

Profile of puffinmonkey
I e-mailed seo magic and what they said that they have it in magicexpress.com . That version requires a fan? Does anyone have any idea still on where to get a fanless version of this trick? Thanks

-ALex
Lseeyou
View Profile
Inner circle
1271 Posts

Profile of Lseeyou
Fanless version? Lubor Fiedler floating ashtray method will feet this nice.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paper BUTTERFLY Effect........ (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL