The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. Ľ Ľ Killer Gaft Magic Awesome Magic With Gaffed Cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Title: Killer Gaft Magic Awesome Magic With Gaffed Cards by Cameron Francis
Medium: DVD with 16 gaffs
Arena: Close Up
Available: Any shop, distributed by Murphys Magic Supplies

I like Cameron Francis based on the DVDís heís put out. He is funny, has a casual and entertaining style, and he puts out some great magic. With Killer Gaft Cameron once again travels to the UK to produce a DVD, this time a dozen routines all making use of various gaffed cards, 16 cards are provided with the DVD so no waiting to find a blank backed card when you want one, you gotta love that, and all are on Bicycle stock. Just to get it out of the way the DVD is if very high quality in picture and sound. The set up is the standardized performance then explanation and for most the performances Cameron has a spectator who is a lovely young lady who I found appealing. As I said I like Cameron as a performer (I'm sure I'd like him personally if we ever met) and he does an excellent job in his explanations. I like a professional product and Killer Gaft is one.

As stated this is a dozen routines, the label says 11, all that use gaffs. What gaffs give you is the ability to streamline an effect to remove sleight of hand that can muddle a routine and also to get results impossible with regular cards. I admit that I tend more to use sleight of hand myself because I donít like ringing in gaffs when performing, I like to be able to do everything with a deck of regular cards, but I do use gaffs for fun and also perform with them when doing a few tricks rather than a set of card magic. What I liked about the material here is the routines are sophisticated and entertaining and the fact gaffs are used are removed from the picture. I hope that makes sense but Iíll try to explain further. When you do some of the effects the spectator will not even consider that the cards are anything but normal because of the way the routines are structured. The routines are all really good, see the ad for the list of them and a short description, but for those keeping score my favorites are Do The Wave and Pipeline. I actually canít say I really disliked any of the routines.

There is something about how this DVD is set up that I think is a great idea and hats off to who ever decided to do this. They have a special section that goes over the sleights youíll need to know! There are 18 sleights taught and if you are learning card magic and want to see a group of important moves you should know this is a source. The reason I like this, if it isnít obvious, is during the explanation the flow isnít disrupted by Cameron having to explain a double lift or how to do an Elmsley or Jordan count. If you know how to do the sleight then no harm no foul, you move along with the explanation, if you donít know the sleight you can go and look at how it is done and then go back to learn the routine. Iím a firm believer that all sleights should be taught that are used but also that the basics being taught kind of slow things up a bit too much. Cameron does a typical excellent job on the explanations of the sleights and as an added bonus, excuse me I have to wipe a tear of joy away, he credits the Tilt move correctly! Others who teach this move always say it is Marlo when actually the name and maybe some changes were done by Marlo but it is a Vernon move. Way to go Cameron! The sleight section is a great idea and I wish it would become the standard practice on DVDs.

This is a great DVD for you gaff using types and for those who are interested in card magic with gaffs. I hope no one takes this wrong but Killer Gaft is a step or two higher in scale than Gafftastic by Liam Montier (also produced by Big Blind Media) which I also thing is a great DVD. Get both but if you are on the fence Iíd have to give the edge clearly to Killer Gaft. Really well done and thank you for opening my eyes to how effective gaffs can be in card magic. Really well done by everyone involved and use the woman on the DVD more often, she is a delight.
Mike_T
View Profile
New user
Alabama
85 Posts

Profile of Mike_T
MagicSanta, thanks for the review. I am a big fan of Cameron's magic. I own several of his other DVDs, all excellent in my opinion. I ordered Killer Gaft directly from Cameron. Should have it here shortly.
ozman
View Profile
Loyal user
Tenbury Wells, UK
254 Posts

Profile of ozman
Hi y'all!

you can check out a trailer and effect from KILLER GAFT at http://www.bigblindmedia.com/killergaft.htm

we are really proud of this DVD. cameron has just come up with the most amazing material.

hope you all dig it!
Rpascual
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta, GA
664 Posts

Profile of Rpascual
You beat me to posting a review. I'll post my comments later.
Tim Jahn
View Profile
Special user
South Florida
911 Posts

Profile of Tim Jahn
Quote:
On 2009-04-02 06:51, ozman wrote:
Hi y'all!

you can check out a trailer and effect from KILLER GAFT at http://www.bigblindmedia.com/killergaft.htm

we are really proud of this DVD. cameron has just come up with the most amazing material.

hope you all dig it!

That was probably one of the best trailers I've ever seen!

I'm still laughing! Smile
Andrew, (ASW)
The effects on the DVD and lecture notes are far beyond your abilities. (They require mastery of the mechanic's grip.) It would only break your heart.
Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz.......(This post has got to be in my top 5.)
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
Cameron is from the uk isn't he magicsanta? so he wouldnt be travelling to the uk?

I may pick this up, I'm not a fan of gaffs in my work but I like camerons work
when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
Rpascual
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta, GA
664 Posts

Profile of Rpascual
Purist:
No, Cameron is from the United States. Florida to be exact. I think I remember him saying something like that in one of his dvd's.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7005 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I am American. Live in Florida at the moment. So, yes, I do travel to the UK to shoot some of the dvds I do.

Thanks, MagicSanta for your terrific review. I'm really glad you like the project. What I like about it is that there's something for everyone. If you like packet tricks, there's a few packet tricks on there. If you like to keep the gaffs to a minimum, there are a few tricks that only use one gaff. I think there's true variety on the dvd in terms of plots and applications. At least, that's what I was going for.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
I always thought you were english! my bad!

think this will be my next purchase
when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
Tim Jahn
View Profile
Special user
South Florida
911 Posts

Profile of Tim Jahn
Quote:
On 2009-04-02 18:19, Cameron Francis wrote:
I am American. Live in Florida at the moment.

At the moment? It sounds like you love this state as much as I do. Smile
Andrew, (ASW)
The effects on the DVD and lecture notes are far beyond your abilities. (They require mastery of the mechanic's grip.) It would only break your heart.
Sincerely,
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7005 Posts

Florida's great. And it's been very good to me, I must say. But I've never lived anywhere longer than seven years. I've been here six. About time for me to scat! Smile
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I would like to quote from the barb, William Shakespear, in his seldom performed (except at the most exlusive festivals) playette "A Gator On The Thames". The scene is in a Castle on the St. James River, Lord Amelia has returned from his cottage in Fernadina Beach and encounters his Cousin Baron Jimmy Joe.

"Verily I say unto the young Jimmy Joe, whom I shall be calling JJ forthwith, I nearly failed upon steed to arrive as it was sink or swim Wednesday and the ale poured in a manner that reminds me of mother England"

So as you can see Northern Florida and England have often been confused with each other. See also Winston Churchills comments about defending Britain against the Germans 'with the same dedication a Gainsville teenage girls father must show in defending her from a frisky cousin'.

I've been working on my gaff work, killer stuff.
Tim Jahn
View Profile
Special user
South Florida
911 Posts

Profile of Tim Jahn
I live in south Florida. Maybe that's wht I don't like it. I need to go a little north.
Andrew, (ASW)
Sincerely,
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7005 Posts

For those who have emailed me and anyone else who is curious, yes, if you wish, you can purchase a copy directly from me. Just visit my website. It's in my profile.
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
I just got this DVD, and watched more than 1/2.
So far, I love Tele-print and Boxy.
Full review coming soon.
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
*Couhg cough* Come to New Jersy *Cough Cough*. Oh btw, the review is almost half way done lol. I had more to say about it than I though lol
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7005 Posts

Glad you mentioned Tele-Print. One of my personal faves as I love self contained packet tricks. I'm happy Boxy spoke to you as well. Super simple but highly effective signed card to card case, IMHO.
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
I actually thought it would just be the unoriginal, old idea.
Then you added the signature and the plot and I thought it was amazing.
I'm talking about Boxy by the way.

Tele-Print blew me away. They're blank, then they're not, cards transpose--it's just so magical.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
What you have here, and from Liam, is higher scale card magic using gaffs, not the goofy stuff that use to come out.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7005 Posts

Thank you, MagicSanta. I really appreciate that.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. Ľ Ľ Killer Gaft Magic Awesome Magic With Gaffed Cards (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL