The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Fanning Powder - Who uses it? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bungee
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Bungee
Was fanning powder more prevalent before the invention of the air-cushioned finish? I've never really seen where I would need it.

I would love to hear who uses it, when, and what type of cards they use it on.

Thanks.
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
I'm still on the fence. I've been experimenting with different ways to apply it. So right now, yes, I use it, but ask again in a few weeks. : )

-Daniel
Bungee
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Bungee
But are you applying it to new cards? Or do you save it a refresher for cards that are getting a little clumpy?
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
I'm applying it to new cards.
trashmanf
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of trashmanf
Brand-new cards are so slippery that even the fanning pow can come off them. Its best to wear in your cards a bit and then apply as many as 3 or more coats over time before a deck is in optimal condition.

for the last word on fanning powder I've got to defer to Jerry "the flourishman's" advice on the topic, which is USE IT!
Outbreak Monkey
View Profile
New user
Brisbane, Australia
59 Posts

Profile of Outbreak Monkey
Never used it myself, found Bee and Bicycle so slippery that they fanned beautifully out of the box!

What's the best application method? Do you chuck it in a bag and shake it up or rub it on?

Also, I was looking at some cheaper decks, and found some budget Hoyle's at the local $2 shop, but they were terrible for fanning - does anyone think fanning powder would help them?
Stimuli
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Stimuli
I own cases upon cased of cards and upon opening a new deck the first thing I do is condition the deck with fanning powder. Spring the deck into a large brown paper bag, sprinkle the fanning powder in the bag, shake it up, and then riffle the deck, perform faro shuffles, and fans to evenly spread the powder and loosen the deck up a bit. If you are doing any advanced manipulation with the deck like armspreads or any advanced fanning techniques like twirls or rounded one handed fans - then it is a must.
Outbreak Monkey
View Profile
New user
Brisbane, Australia
59 Posts

Stimuli:
I'll give it a go - do you mean by 'sprinkle' that you only use a tiny amount?

Does the stuff interfere at all with non manipulatory moves like DLs, palming, false counts etc..?

Cheers!
Monkey
Stimuli
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Stimuli
A few shakes into the bag will do you just fine. And you keep working and riffling the deck untill no more powder can come off. It makes the cards adhere to each other so double lifts and the manipulation of them seem easier to me. Handling is pretty much the same. It just takes getting to know how the deck reacts with powder.
Outbreak Monkey
View Profile
New user
Brisbane, Australia
59 Posts

Fantastic, thanks for the advice, I'll give it a go!
David Duffy
View Profile
New user
Philadelphia, PA
18 Posts

Profile of David Duffy
When I applied powder to my deck for the first and only time it made the deck sticky so to speak. When I fanned the cards they made a great fan but it was as if I was forcing them to spread from the natural stick that the powder had applied. Is this the feel I should have with fanning powder?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Fanning Powder - Who uses it? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL