We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Split Coin v Flipper ? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

womblegolfer
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of womblegolfer
I have the Eddie Gibson Chinese Bit £2 version and to add to a little routine, I would like to buy another £2 coin effect. The question is: what coin effect would be better suited to follow: the Split Coin (£2) by Craig Petty or a flipper coin (£2) (gravity, regular, magnetic locking)?
I've only started recently with coins and am grateful for any advice.

Just got Bobo's book today, so now my weekend is sorted, especially since there'll be no golf for me!

Thanks
Detlef
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
156 Posts

Profile of Detlef
Hi there,
IMHO it is best to go for the no gaffed basics first ( you`ve gor Bobo already lots of good things in there ). If thinking about gaffs I would recommend a s***l first.
Both Gimmicks you´ve mentioned are great and with the flipper ( if you go for ) Craig Petty`s Flipped Out DVD is superb.
BTW I would go for a gravity flipper.
Hope this helps
regards
Detlef
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4838 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Yea Lurn you slight of hand frist! And then ring in the Gaff! Smile
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
David, I've done exactly what our advice suggests and I think it's a good advice. However I never used the Split Coin and don't know what it brings in comparison to the Flipper which use I know well including your very good routines. In fact your routines are not credited often enough next to the ones of Craig Petty, Dan Watkins, Troy Hooser, Garrett Thomas, Eric Stone, Homer Liwag, Chris Kenner and others in the list of effects that I explored.

So let me ask the same question as womblegolfer.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
narcoleptic_insomniac
View Profile
Regular user
Kenosha, WI
140 Posts

Profile of narcoleptic_insomniac
Quote:
On 2009-04-02 17:45, womblegolfer wrote:
I have the Eddie Gibson Chinese Bit £2 version and to add to a little routine, I would like to buy another £2 coin effect. The question is: what coin effect would be better suited to follow: the Split Coin (£2) by Craig Petty or a flipper coin (£2) (gravity, regular, magnetic locking)?
I've only started recently with coins and am grateful for any advice.

Just got Bobo's book today, so now my weekend is sorted, especially since there'll be no golf for me!

Thanks

I agree with everyone... if you're just starting out in coin magic, don't worry about getting a flipper or split coin right now. Moreover, Bobo's MCM doesn't even contain any routines with these coins. If you have the itch to by a gaff right now, I'd go with a simple expanded shell, and maybe a c/s coin, too, if you've got enough cash... which reminds me, you should get a hold of a few Kennedy halves and copper English pennies, if you haven't already. Once you've mastered a good portion of MCM, then you can move on to more advanced (intermediate) material. BTW, do a lot of research before you make your flipper purchase; there is a wealth of information on this forum that has already been discussed.

Good Luck,
Kyle Czarnecki

P.S. The split coin (a.k.a. clone coin, super coin) was not made by Craig Petty, but by Johnny Wong. That being said, Petty's Split Happens DVD is probably [u]the[/u] best resource for the gaff... one of my favorite DVDs ^_^
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4838 Posts

Of the two ( after geting down Some Slight of hand) I would Get A Gravity Fliper!
Then Latter I would get A Super Coin! Some of my best routines With one Will not work With A spit coin Becase the magnet is not as strong as in the super coin !
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
womblegolfer
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of womblegolfer
Many thanks for your replies. And Kyle, yes you are right, there's a lot of good debate on here about the differences and pros/cons of different flippers.

Cheers all
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2009-04-04 17:50, womblegolfer wrote:
Many thanks for your replies. And Kyle, yes you are right, there's a lot of good debate on here about the differences and pros/cons of different flippers.

Cheers all

True but in the meantime these pros/cons are concerning very minor details. The main thing is to have coins looking the same (if you are using silver they must be silver, if you are using nickel they must be nickel)

The rest is not essential and possibly concerns more the pride or comfort of the performer than the deceptive capacity of the prop when properly handled.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Ethan
View Profile
Regular user
UK
142 Posts

Profile of Ethan
It's difficult to recommend one particular gaff over another unless you have a clear view of what effects you are trying to achieve? Both the gravity flipper and Split coin are great gaffs that allow some very strong routines. Unless your very creative I wouldn't get a split coin without also buying the Split coin DVD. There is a lot more info out there on the use of flipper coins than split coins.
I wouldn't agree with not buying gimmicks until you have mastered the sleights. Gimmicks tend to make things easier, though you will still need sleights with coin gaffs. I don't think anyone would argue that children when first learning magic should not get magic sets with gimmicks but should concentrate on sleights, misdirection etc. I don't see much difference here. So buy your gaffs but make sure you also learn the necessary sleights to use them properly.
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
Mickey Silver really blew me away with a split coin. Since I know a bit about coins and I "knew" that Mickey never used gaff coins he did a coin through my hand which was simply impossible. He did it three times and the first two times I was pretty sure I saw how he did it (I was burning his hands), but the third time, I was completely fooled. Wow!

The combination of the gaffed coin and great sleight of hand is a real winner.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4838 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-04-06 10:26, marty.sasaki wrote:

The combination of the gaffed coin and great sleight of hand is a real winner.

Yea that's what I have been saying for the last 30 years! Smile
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Zaprig1
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Zaprig1
Amen David!

Ethan, I agree as well with your points on gaffs! I wouldn't have ever had the ambition to get as good with coins and SOH had it not been for great gaffs i.e. flipper (personal fav......if I had to have just ONE gaff...it'd be the one) and wanting to master routines with them.

Besides......coin gaffs are just fargin cool!!!
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4838 Posts

Yea that's how it goes most of the time! Gaffs frist! Then SOH 2TH. Them A combo of both! Smile
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Split Coin v Flipper ? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL