The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » A message for any one who may be able to help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Hi,

I am currently trying to research strange feats/stunts if you will. I have read and own his book Learned Pigs and Fire Proof Women (which if you don't have I strongly recommend you try and find it).

The one I am particularly interested in is a stunt performed by an Englishman call Joe Darby, who was from a small town called Netherton in the borough of Dudley, Westmidlands.

I believe Joe was born in the 1860s and died during the 1970s. He was famous for essentially jumping over things.

The stunt that I am most interested in learning more about is his jump into a tank of water. He used to jump into the tank, then leap straight out again but would only get the soles of his shoes wet. The rest upper part of his shoe (and indeed the rest of him) would stay completely dry.

A similar stunt involved him jumping on to and then off of the face of his daughter. She would remain completely unharmed, yet he would be able to leave a chalk mark on her face to prove that he'd actually touched her.

I'd like to know if there are still people that can do this stunt today, or if anyone has any idea as to how these amazing feats were accomplished. I figured since Mr Jay wrote Learned Pigs and has an interest in such matters that maybe he'd be able to shed some light on this, or at least have some ideas as to how I could go about my quest in learning more about this amazing performer.

Or, of course, if anyone here knows anything about Joe or maybe has a theory as to how to recreate such a feat then please drop me a line.

Thank you for your time,

R
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
voe
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of voe
Sorry, I can't help you but this sounds really really interesting. Thanks for the information. Wikipedia does not seem to have anything on Joe Darby at all. Smile
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Quote:
Wikipedia does not seem to have anything on Joe Darby at all.

That quote is funny on so many levels.....
Jonathan_Miller
View Profile
Loyal user
CT
211 Posts

Profile of Jonathan_Miller
Quote:
On 2009-04-03 12:20, Daegs wrote:
Quote:

QFT
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Ros, Dudley was a well known iron producing area. Many anvil makers and iron workers set up shop and lived there. Both of my true anvils are from Dudley, my favorite being the Wilkinson. Maybe if you looked around these circles you may find more info.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1106 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Quote:
On 2009-04-03 12:21, Jonathan_Miller wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-04-03 12:20, Daegs wrote:
Quote:

QFT

I looked up "QFT" on Wikipedia but couldn't find out what it means...
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2906 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
In doing a google search on Joe Darby, a lot of information on him comes up. It seems that he was a remarkable spring jumper and much of the more traditional feats he did were well documented. The water jump and the canal jump kinda defy almost everything we know about physics. Therefore, I would not be a bit surprised to find out he never did these things. Show me footage of him doing anything close to these feats and then we will talk about how he did it.
petekoloz
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of petekoloz
Quote:
On 2009-04-03 16:36, Todd Robbins wrote:
... Show me footage of him doing anything close to these feats and then we will talk about how he did it.

Skeptic!
Here:
http://www.cottontown.org/Nimoi/sites/CT......%206.jpg
asithlord
View Profile
New user
johnathan townsends daily hobbie is
98 Posts

Profile of asithlord
This topic name sounds like one of those emails that fly around,
I half expected roslyn to ask for my bank account details so he can deposit
joes millions into it
shame
thought I was on to a winner
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5109 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Just send ME the millions. I'll make sure you get some back!
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2906 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Quote:
On 2009-04-03 16:47, petekoloz wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-04-03 16:36, Todd Robbins wrote:
... Show me footage of him doing anything close to these feats and then we will talk about how he did it.

Skeptic!
Here:
http://www.cottontown.org/Nimoi/sites/CT......%206.jpg

Okay, I take is all back. That photo proves he could jump on water.

Oh, I just realized that the description of the water jumping said nothing about whether the water was frozen or not at the time. That would make it easier, wouldn't it?
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
Seems to me the water jumping could be rigged in a variety of relatively simple ways. The jumping on his daughter's face, tho--that's intriguing.
~Les S. Moore, The Dapper Dipper
Swami Yomahmi and Cheeky Monkey Sideshow

"Comedy is a man in trouble." ~Bill Irwin
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2906 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Roslyn,
I'm sorry if my posts came off as negative. That was not the intention. It seems that Joe Darby was an extraordinary sportsman, but some of those feats feel like urban myths.

I understand your desire to quest after feats that are rarely seen. I think this great. We made a list here of acts rarely seen anymore. It was an interesting line up of stunts and feats.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Ros,,,have pm`d you.

Ken.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » A message for any one who may be able to help (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL