The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk to Egg (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Walking Bob
View Profile
Elite user
499 Posts

Profile of Walking Bob
I performed a silk to egg routine last night and and just before I broke the egg I found myself out in front of my table like I often do. I broke the egg with one hand and did keep from getting anything on the floor, but realized this may have been taking a chance.

Later that night I began thinking of a better way to break the egg. Here is what I came up with. What if I glue a nail across the inside of the glass about one inch from the top of the glass. That way I can hold the glass with one hand and break the egg more in the middle of the glass with no fear of making a mess on the floor or table.

Seems like a good idea to me was just curious to what the rest of you may think?

Thank and have a nice day,

Walking Bob in Iowa

P.S. All of you are right, Silk to Egg kills!!! Why not it is a classic of magic!!!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Walking Bob,

That is a great contribution.

In last Friday night's show I got egg on the stage floor. It happens often enough that I carry paper towels under my table. There's one in every dozen! (Bad egg, that is!)

It is a classic of magic that kills, and kills and kills! And it costs a dime to perform! (Unless you have a yard full of chickens.)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Great idea! More invisible might be a clear plastic picnic knife cut down and glued across the middle of the glass. Some dealer is going to start producing this, I am sure! Make sure they spell your name right... is it really Walking Bob?
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
You might use a stemmed glass that has the base glued to a saucer, (for easy handling), and let the egg drip on the plate if it wants to.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I typically use stemmed glasses for this. Because I lift the glass and carry it downstage to the audience, anything attached to the base would draw attention.

Using a tumbler is seldom the problem.

I do like the plastic knife idea. I'm not sure egg yoke dripping from it to the bottom of the wine glass would look right. Egg yokes tend to stick to the sides of the glass.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I think the idea would be to tap the egg on the knife edge hard enough to crack it, but not enough to open it. Raise the egg to do a one-handed opening above the glass. Perhaps the knife could be off center and still work for cracking, allowing more space for the egg "guts" to drop into the glass without falling on the knife. We need some experimentation here.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Missing the knife with the stringy yellow yoke is all that is needed. The albumin is no problem except spilled.

Scheme! Spellbinder's idea has merit!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
markofmagic
View Profile
Elite user
480 Posts

Profile of markofmagic
Also I keep a wash clothe close by just in case I get it on my hands or anything else I want to clean up quickly
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
One thing that will help you control "egg cracking" a little better is to make sure that the egg is NOT COLD!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Just recieved you Egg to silk routine Bob.. Looks great for strolling! Is there any video out there on routine?

The directions of the second appearnce I am not quite understanding..
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1124 Posts

Profile of maps
I received my silk to egg from Bob Sanders and I can't believed my eyes. It looked so real! You can't tell the difference between it and the real one.

I like the texture as well as the weight.

I might order the white ones next.
the heart is where the magic begins
Visit my website
[www.mascotsandpuppets.com]
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2009-04-04 13:26, Spellbinder wrote:
Great idea! More invisible might be a clear plastic picnic knife cut down and glued across the middle of the glass. Some dealer is going to start producing this, I am sure! Make sure they spell your name right... is it really Walking Bob?

Wise Crackin' Bob!!
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Apparently many of us "Bobs" are associated with the word "Cracked". Last night Dal Sanders sat through my lecture for the one liners! I was unaware of the impression I made on him at the Combined Convention in Kentucky last year. He's a good audience. (I just hope he doesn't have me committed anytime soon.)

Ian,

If Dal does have me committed, will you come see me so everyone I see won't be sane? Otherwise, life would be so boring. See you in Colon, MI in August.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Got one of your eggs, Bob, gonna try the effect.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Ian,

I know what you have for pets. Please don't use an emu egg!

Bob
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Yet again another great thread on this one of the true classics for us that perform this many times!! My market is stage & corporate events.

I have a small stand near the mic with only a small thick rimmed glass bowl, I use 2 hands & break it on the strong rim-lift up the egg about a foot or 2 then it drops into the bowl- as after many years doing this in theatres the key to success for this is waiting a couple of seconds..getting the whole audience focused on the egg in hand & then break it. Some nights you can hear a pin drop in the auditoriums or clubs then as you know the place erupts with applause & people shaking there heads & laughing etc. etc.

The key to a strong finish.... is the delay before you break the egg into the glass or bowl

Try it next time you will see what I mean.. Have a delay.. -you will get a bigger response!!

Cheers

-Brent
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
The Silk to Egg was a highlight effect amongst the magic performed including-

This is a portion of one of the 300 large posters used for our Sellout cabaret show I put together- we did on Friday Night at the local theatre
using Myself - also a Magician/Comedian from England -Gary Knights who performs many buskerfestivals & also at the magic castle & many corporate events in London he does a hilarious cups & balls routine as taught to him personally by Gazzo & Cellini, Gary also makes the sought after Gazzo cups!
and our MC Bobby Gee
who worked with many of the greats of English Comedy including Bernard Manning, Les Dawson & Tommy Cooper-A very funny act!

Cheers

Click here to view attached image.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Brent,

I certainly agree that timing can really increase the impact of this trick. It is indeed a reputation builder.

After the show, that dime egg is what is remembered.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk to Egg (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL