We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Need help identifying gaff (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Obviously
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of Obviously
I have a coin that seems to be a combination of a copper/silver and scotch and soda type gaff. I do not know what this was used for originally, as I was not the original owner. It has a complete English penny on one side, and kennedy half special gimmick on the reverse.
I do not have the scotch and soda type gaff part (this came along with a bunch of unmatched miscellaneous gaff coins from another magician). Oddly, a standard scotch and soda gaff will fit it, but I can't figure out how it would have been used or what the original setup or effect was.
Any help would be appreciated.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Sun/Moon part of Johnson Products hopping halfs?
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Ocha
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Ocha
It does sound like a sun/moon coin. Your post sounds a little confusing though, when you mentioned the Kennedy half side you called it "kennedy half special gimmick",
Is it just a Kennedy half on one side and an english penny on the other, or is there something special about the Kennedy half side? Just wondering.

Thanks,

Gerald
I was Me but now He is gone.......
Obviously
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of Obviously
Sorry if I was not clear enough, I don't know the limits as to what would be considered exposure. The Kennedy side will house an insert in the same way that a Scotch and Soda coin would. When complete it would simply be a copper/silver coin, but it must have a reason for being built the way it was. (2 gaffs in one). I am really interested in the original effect.
allen_m
View Profile
Veteran user
Alpine, TX
349 Posts

Profile of allen_m
Is the set "locking"?
That is, does it require a tool to open it?
-A
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I told you what it is.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Ocha
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Ocha
I believe Gaddy is correct and you sir have a part of a Hopping Halfs coin.

It's a good effect, search Youtube to see what the effect looks like and I'm sure you will understand how it is used. Also remember you only seem to have part of the set, the rest of the set will be similar to what you already seem to have. Below is a link that shows a very basic routine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glkVxsgfPJA

Hope this helps,

Gerald
I was Me but now He is gone.......
Obviously
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of Obviously
This set is definitely not part of a hopping halves set. The Hopping halves set does not have the scotch and soda feature. Yes, Allen, it is a locking set. The coin has a normal thickness like a copper silver, not slimmed down like a sun and moon. I do own quite a number of varieties of gaffed coins, and am familiar with all the basic ones. That is why I'm stumped by this thing. I bought it together with a bunch of miscellaneous gaffed coins, used with no instructions in the late '80s, so it may be quite an old effect that is no longer produced.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Without seeing it I simply cannot tell from your description. I suggest you make up your own use for it...
Obviously
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of Obviously
Thanks for trying folks. I guess the best description would be to picture an actual Kennedy scotch and soda set and then picture just the head side as an english penny. That really is exactly the situation.
allen_m
View Profile
Veteran user
Alpine, TX
349 Posts

Profile of allen_m
So when it is locked is it like a copper/silver coin or like a normal Kennedy half? It is not a scotch and soda type coin w- an English penny in lieu of the more common 20 centavo? Sorry; but, I am confused...

-A
Obviously
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of Obviously
Allen_m, when it is locked it is a copper/silver coin, English penny on one side, Kennedy half on the other.
allen_m
View Profile
Veteran user
Alpine, TX
349 Posts

Profile of allen_m
So it's like a scotch and soda put together backwards? Copper/Silver when locked, two Kennedy's when open? Or a Kennedy and English Penny when open? I have no idea what that could be...

Guess you could start w- 2 coins- vanish one, change to copper, and back, then clean-up by vanishing the gimmick... Dunno...
allen_m
View Profile
Veteran user
Alpine, TX
349 Posts

Profile of allen_m
It's not an expanded shell just stuck over a larger English penny, is it?

Just askin'...

-A
Obviously
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of Obviously
Good question. No, it is not a stuck shell, you can see the joint on the edge where the English Penny and milled,clad kennedy meet - just like in a regular C/S coin.
Obviously
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of Obviously
I don't have the technical capability to include photos at the moment. I realize my first descriptions were poor and confused a lot of people. I'm trying to get out of that vortex now. The coin is an ordinary copper/silver with English Penny on one side and Kennedy half on the other. The Kennedy side houses a locking insert which I don't have (a regular Scotch and Soda insert will fit however). As a result,it has characteristics in common with many different gaffs, but doesn't exactly match ANY that I own or am familiar with.
I hope I have finally stated the situation clearly enough to solve this puzzle.
Obviously
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of Obviously
Thanks for your help guys, problem solved. The insert is not supposed to be "locking", this is a two copper/one silver gaff produced by Johnson.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Need help identifying gaff (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL