We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Perspex BON? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
When I first thought of doing the plexi bed, I envisioned using an open-topped case or box that would house the lights to illuminate the bed. A little below the top edge of the case, along the inside on all four walls, would be a little lip or shelf: when performing, the bottom of the bed would rest on the shelf and the light could shine up through it; to transport it, you flip the bed over, and the spikes rest, protected, inside the case.

When I perform BoN now with my wooden bed, it sits on top of my show trunk, for several reasons. You're right, Rev. that it requires the additional prop of a step ladder and two additional volunteers to steady the person standing on me, but since most of my show packs into the trunk, the ladder isn't too much of a hassle, and I've worked the extra people into the show.
~Les S. Moore, The Dapper Dipper
Swami Yomahmi and Cheeky Monkey Sideshow

"Comedy is a man in trouble." ~Bill Irwin
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Honestly I think a lighted lexan and glass BoN would only work on TV, or in an art gallery.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
OK, I'm bored with a few minutes to spare so here's what I would do:

I'd follow Harley's advise on how to drill the holes, but I'd also add a countersink feature so that in the end the heads would be flush with the (bottom) surface of the upper-most layer. This is so that both layers can then lay flat against each other. If the holes are done just right, and the nails don't wobble around, I don't think I'd bother glueing them in seperately. Here's why...

Because my next step would be to glue the second layer into place with clear PVC glue. A quart of the stuff should be plenty (apply with a small paint roller) and the bond would be absolutely permanent. Even better if you use PVC cleaner before hand. Be VERY careful to set it exactly right because PVC glue does NOT come apart. Thru bolts with fancy fittings can be added here and there for looks.

As for special lighting, I think all you'd need to do it run some neon rope BETWEEN the nails. That's it. Nothing fancy, and it can be taken down for transport or repair as needed.
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
Chance--how would you replace a nail if one broke, tho?

petekoloz
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of petekoloz
Lee Press-On?
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Go on a diet?
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5113 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Pete, what a way to describe your brother!
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
petekoloz
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of petekoloz
Harley I was referring to Lee Press-On Nails.
Which reminds me of the time I walked into a
nail salon and asked for a screw...
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5113 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
You're a twisted man.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
petekoloz
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of petekoloz
Just like Archimedes.
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Looks more like Mephistopholes (probably misspelled it)
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5113 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
No, Archimedes screw is most uplifting.

www.bladewalker.com
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4469 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Unless its upside down then its just goina flood all over you!
Doctor Zolar
View Profile
Regular user
El Paso TX
131 Posts

Profile of Doctor Zolar
You all, so far, are thinking like magicians and not "Presentators of the Dangerous". This is suppose to be DANGEROUS and the more you make it look like a glossy, chrome and neon lit magic piece, the less dangerous it would be.
BON is suppose to be .... old, dangerous, maybe bloody, menacing, rusty, and the danger will be gone the more this looks like a magic trick.
To make it WORSE, add chrome, red paint and Chinese dragons and symbols.

With plexiglass, any kind of nail will bend or break the plastic and it will look like hell.
Even in a regular BON, the nails get bent and banged up when moved. A plexi BON would last one show and then it's fix it time, and it would not look dangerous.

Remember, the whole thing must still support a body and even 2 layers of plexi will flex with the weight of one person and the BON will probably get pressure points they didn't have with 2 layers of stiff plywood screwed together.

Now, you CAN shine a bright light, from behind, BETWEEN the person and the BON, so that the audience can SEE the light and that some other support has not risen to help the body weight.

That's as about as fancy as THAT should get.

Also, I think the wood should look LIKE WOOD and not painted black. Wood varished maybe with a light wood stain would be "nice" and more presentable and the audience could see more detail, than if the BON was black. Chrome nails screams: "Magic Trick".
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5113 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Who said anything about red paint and Chinese dragons? Some people like good-looking props.

www.bladewalker.com
BostonBlackie
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
110 Posts

Profile of BostonBlackie
NONE of these think like magicians
It wasn't the brightest thing I've ever done in my life. Sadly though, it was far from the dumbest.
-- Zachary Nixon Johnson
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
I don't really agree with your objections to the plexi bed. I like the idea and I see solutions for all of the issues you mentioned.

That's the great thing about being a performer Dr. Z--you can have your style, and the rest of us can do things our way. Variety is far superior to a cookie-cutter approach that dictates that things *must* be done a certain way. IDIC for the nerds out there. (Well, for Gwyd, at least).

Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5113 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
That raises another question...are magicians capable of thought?

Chinese dragons...

I actually like them...very beautiful creatures.

www.bladewalker.com
BostonBlackie
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
110 Posts

Profile of BostonBlackie
I should have finished, they think like showmen.
It wasn't the brightest thing I've ever done in my life. Sadly though, it was far from the dumbest.
-- Zachary Nixon Johnson
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
DZ,

As Harley said, some of us like nice things. Out of context, the bed of nails all made up would seem like a magic trick. When coupled with other obvious real stunts, it would not be perceived as a trick. I deal with this phenomenon every time I perform, because, I admit, I perform one trick, which is perceived as 100% real, without a doubt (to lay people of course) since it is paired with a stunt that is undeniably real.

In my opinion, the above is how magicians should think. There might be more good acts out there if they did.

Brett.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL