The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Perspex BON? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
ElectricBlue
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of ElectricBlue
I Just came a across two nice thick pieces of perspex from a friend who was throwing them out and I have been considering making a BON using them instead of wood.

Has any one tryed this before? I have made a two other beds out of wood previously with out much trouble and I was thinking that one out of the Perspex would look pretty cool, But I really don't want to ruin the two nice sheets I have if it is bound to fail, so I thought maybe somebody here might have some advice Smile

My Basic idea is pretty much the same as most wood beds. One layer with drilled holes and the nails inserted and then the other sandwiched on the back to keep them snug?

Any hints or help would be greatly appreciated.
Jane
Danny Borneo
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of Danny Borneo
I'm sure it's not totally out of the question. I would imagine that it's a matter of distance to do it the right way, you might want to experiment on some smaller pieces first. Too close and I'm sure cracking will ensue very quickly (had a tupperware container incident with Reggie a few years back when drilling some airholes for her, I know tupperware is much less durable, but still). If anyone would know, Harley is probably the guy. He's a BON expert, I'm sure if he hasn't made one in the past that he's probably explored the possibility. Best of luck.
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
I seem to remember having a conversation with Harley about doing a plexi BoN some time back and, although I can't remember the specifics anymore, I came away from the discussion deciding not to do it.
~Les S. Moore, The Dapper Dipper
Swami Yomahmi and Cheeky Monkey Sideshow

"Comedy is a man in trouble." ~Bill Irwin
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
What would be the advantage of this ? The look,,,wieght,,,what.
Would have thought that the nails would splinter the plex when making it up.
petekoloz
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of petekoloz
I would drill the plastic & glue the nails in.
Then sandwich the two sheets around the perimeter
with aluminum box tube.
Incorporate some neon lighting beneath the bottom
sheet in the hollow provided by the box tube frame.
You know,eerie glow kinda thing...
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
Pete, exactly what I had been planning to do.

Actually, that just gave me a new idea...

ElectricBlue
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of ElectricBlue
The only advantage that I had really thought of was for the look and because it would be nice to light on stage in some cool way. Also because I wanted to find a cool use for the perspex.

But yeah the cracking and splintering was my main concern, I was planning on predriling but I'm still not sure if that will do the trick at such close distances.

I really like the idea about incorporating the neon.
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Actually ANY light source will work. Neon can get to be a bit pricey and breaks easily (right Todd?). I would opt for one of those multi-colored disco ball type lights that rotate around. Plexi doesn't splinter much.... crack and break, yes. Splinter, no.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
If I was going to do this, I would want to use acrylic nails as well.
Lighting- LED panels.
Never have to change a bulb.
Just m'thoughts.
G
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
2589 Posts

Oooo! Acrylic nails! Up the ante and have Brett make a bunch of his patented glass nails!
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Nice blue light from underneath...(For electric blue of course!)
T'would look uber cool.
G
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
Ok, clearly (get it?) we have to all build this together; I sent a PM to Brett yesterday.

How about a Guiness record for highest stack of plexi beds with acrylic nails lit from beneath with rotating LEDs in neon colors?

thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
2589 Posts

Should I involve myself lifting anything?
petekoloz
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of petekoloz
Quote:
On 2009-04-07 11:08, Stephon wrote:
Ok, clearly (get it?) we have to all build this together; I sent a PM to Brett yesterday.

How about a Guiness record for highest stack of plexi beds with acrylic nails lit from beneath with rotating LEDs in neon colors?

Quote:
On 2009-04-07 13:21, thegreatnippulini wrote:
Should I involve myself lifting anything?

How about a Guinness ?
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5113 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Yes. It can be done. It's a lot more work, but the results could be beautiful. You'd have to drill holes, and not snug. The nails would have to push through the holes easily.

For a bed like this, forget using standard nails. They'd cheapen the appearance of it. It'd be worthwhile to use stainless flooring nails. They're twisted, which makes them look very nice, under stage lights. And they wouldn't get rusty, over time.

You'd need to use a drill on a very slow speed. Otherwise you'd be melting the plastic, or cracking it, and it'd be a lot more frustrating than building a wooden one.

You'd also need to put a couple of drops of something in each hole, after assembly. Some of the casting plastics turn yellowish after setting (like epoxy), which might affect the appearance of the bed. There are casting acrylics that stay clear.

While you design this, you'll need to consider the way in which you'll lug it around. Because it's plastic, it needs a bit more protection than a plywood bed. If it gets scratched up (and it will), it'll look bad.

You say "pretty thick". What does that mean? 1/2"? 3/4"? 1"? It affects the assembly and integrity of the unit. With a plywood bed, you can just screw the boards together. With plastic, you can't. It requires a couple more steps in assembly. And if you do it, right, you'll need a well-ventilated place. It's not a job to do in your living room. The fumes are extremely unhealthy, to living things.

Incorporating lights into the bed... With all the improvements in LED lights, over the last few years, it might have become practical. I installed a flourescent fixture on one of my beds once, and there wasn't enough light to be noticeable.

Anna, Princess of Pain, of Cut Throat Freak Show, did a plexi 4-nail bed, for Ripley's tv. The thing was built the size of a dining table, and later went up for sale on eBay. I hate to think of the cost of it, or how much of a bother it was to move around. I don't recall whether they got any shots from underneath.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
ElectricBlue
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of ElectricBlue
Wow !!!
Thanks for all that info its really helped point me in the right direction. I was fairly prepared for the task of the drilling but I had not thought about protecting the holes after.

As Far as lighting goes I'm devising a way hopefully to use some of this stuff http://www.coolneon.com. I have worked with it before and it is really great for creating lighted props, It as the effect of neon but it is flexible and really easy to work with. I would recommend checking it out if you are interested in cool lighting.

Oh and pretty thick, it is around 20mm so roughly an inch. I think if I am successful I'll build a travel case probably felt lined of some variety to keep it supported in transit.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5113 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
It'll be heavy and awkward. Consider putting rubber feet on it, so that 1) it won't slide, and 2) it won't get scratched by the floor.

I don't think it'll slide much, due to its weight, but one never knows.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Jon Royer
View Profile
New user
Warminster, PA
70 Posts

Profile of Jon Royer
If you had the bed and the nails all the same plastic and would be able to make a mold to make the whole thing one piece I would imagine it would be stronger. I picture the transition from the nail to bed would be more of a curve like a mountain into a valley rather than right angles(or like gaussian peaks if you want to be nerdy). Also if you lit it up you could control how it lights up by roughing the plastic with sandpaper. So where it was crystal clear the light would shine through and frosted areas would light up and make it look like it was glowing. Cool idea, I just would want to experiment to make sure that the nails would be strong enough. It would be heavy but cool.

Jon
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5113 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I can't imagine the points being stable enough. Given any length, it would take only minute torque for them to shatter.

Possibly, John's idea of gaussian peaks could work. The angle-from-vertical at the points, would probably need to be about 45 degrees. It wouldn't look like a bed of nails. To make a mold for casting it, you might be able to use a router. More likely, it'd need to be carved.

www.bladewalker.com
Rev Tommy Gunn
View Profile
New user
Hollywod, CA
12 Posts

Profile of Rev Tommy Gunn
If I may throw in my 2 cents: For my latest BON I was working with a builder about a clear plastic one that we were going to pour into a mold to create - but the real problem emerged in working out how we would move it on tour - and what would be the ultimate effect be for the audience.

A BON lighted from underneath is, from an audience perspective, not that spectacular. In my opinion, you would be better off lighting your bed from behind, so the audience can see the backlit nails. In my opinion, the cool neon ElectricBlue spoke of looks great on set pieces, but doesn't really provide enough actual "light" to do what you are speaking of here, which is throw out enough wattage for the audience to see the spikes pressing into the flesh.

The other issue was that we realized something needs to be underneath a plexi so it doesn't scratch (assuming, of course, you can get it to each location without damaging it - even in a case). So if it lays flat on the floor (or stage), what's the point? No one can tell it's see-through without a camera/projector set up. The idea of putting it on top of a box with lights is good - but that's another piece of set to carry. And, if you have audience members stand on top of you - you would have a HUGE step up for them. And, in my experience, individual audience members have notoriously bad balance. Then you have to add a ladder. *whew*

Even so, my new wood BON - moved from location to location in its own rolling case - still got the crap scratched out of the bottom side just being put on the stage... even on top of a tarp!

Don't misunderstand me - I think a clear BON would be awesome! I hope you figure out a way to make one and are willing to share with everyone how you do it. Especially after some great suggestions here -

All the best,
Rev. Tommy Gunn
FreakShow Deluxe LLC
FreakShow Deluxe, LLC
http://FreakShowDeluxe.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Perspex BON? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL