The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Perspex BON? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
The voice of Tweety Bird is stuck inside my head, screaming "He don't know us vewwy well, do he?"

Welcome, Doctor Z! You're just in time for First of May!
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
The Curator of the Unusual
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Profile of The Curator of the Unusual
Quote:
On 2009-04-10 17:28, Doctor Zolar wrote:
Also, I think the wood should look LIKE WOOD and not painted black. Wood varished maybe with a light wood stain would be "nice" and more presentable and the audience could see more detail, than if the BON was black. Chrome nails screams: "Magic Trick".

Doc Z makes good points..(In my opinion Stephon)..I (me) always associates a B.O.N. as Indian feat (India)...So I like the Old wood look...varnished adds Mystery..(in my opinion).,...Harley (BON Historian) probaly will dispute this...Which I (me) will only dispute(argue) his claim strictly for a sake of discussion (liven up the board)...But, What do I know?..My B.O.N. is a piece O-S***......
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Oh come on Dr. Z! Next thing you'll be telling us we have to use real swords for swallowing or real cobras for charming! Frankly, I'm perfectly OK with slinky snakes, plastic chains, gaffed locks and collapsable props, but that's just me!
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
829 Posts

Profile of Rotten
So I should varnish the wood? I drilled a bunch of holes, hammered a bunch of nails and left it at that. Been going strong for 9 years. Perhaps I'll finish it now? I like simple but that is due to travel and wear and tear. I'm hard on props. "We can't have nice things."

Now if I had a show that didn't travel that would be different. If it can stab a apple it's sharp and it wouldn't rust.

I think it's the same thing as chocolate or vanilla. Why do they make other flavors?
Rev Tommy Gunn
View Profile
New user
Hollywod, CA
12 Posts

Profile of Rev Tommy Gunn
I'd like to echo what others have said in reply to the good doctor - depends on what kind of crowd your show is going for... Chrome nails don't scream "magic trick," nor does a black & red painted prop... presentation does. Or, sometimes, just the audiences inability to grasp what they're seeing as fact --

Example: The first time FreakShow Deluxe performed at the Magic Castle, I could hear some audience members discussing (rather loudly at some points) how the blockhead act was a trick nail, the sword swallower was gaffed and the concrete blocks were made out of sugar - because they assumed it HAD to be magic. Not until they inspected the props (and us) after the shows did they truly believe it to be real. Then they told their friends - and we couldn't shoe-horn another person into that theater the rest of the run. (plug - we'll be back in June!)

If I may - bad/cheap-looking props is part of what keeps 'sideshow' looked upon (along with unprofessional performances), and what helps some to burn the lot for everyone else. I can't tell you how many venues have told me, "we had 'sideshow' here once - didn't work (or, we had problems), we'll never have another one."
FreakShow Deluxe, LLC
http://FreakShowDeluxe.com
The Curator of the Unusual
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Profile of The Curator of the Unusual
Quote:
I can't tell you how many venues have told me, "we had 'sideshow' here once - didn't work (or, we had problems), we'll never have another one."

Not to change the Subject, Uh, Does anyone know if "The Salvation of Coney" has arrived yet??...
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
BON was both an old and new world stunt. However, it wasn't nails, until the industrial revolution.

Prior to that, it was lying on thorns, which are actually pretty comfortable, except that they sometimes break off, in your flesh. You just have to make sure that somebody picks all the residue out of your back.

I suppose it's fitting to know, in this Christian weekend, that the crown of thorns given to Jesus, was meant to be demeaning, satire. As a street preacher, he would have drawn a crowd, by lying on thorns. The goal of his show, would have been to sell amulets for good luck and fertility. All the rest of his gig would have been designed to maximize sales.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Rev Tommy Gunn
View Profile
New user
Hollywod, CA
12 Posts

Profile of Rev Tommy Gunn
Oooo - I want to know. Am planning a trip there...
FreakShow Deluxe, LLC
http://FreakShowDeluxe.com
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
829 Posts

Profile of Rotten
Yeah, It's there Jim. Opening this weekend with "The Worlds Largest 10 in 1" Wish I could just shoot up there to see it.

My nails are chrome, well the outer three rows. It gets expensive to have all of them. I have been to many Sideshows and if they had the prettiest props it didn't mean the best show. Worst props didn't mean the worst show. It's about the performance or more importantly the performers. Costuming, presentation, etc. As Harley once told me "make them care." (thank you man, I finally created a SWSW routine to be proud of) Some didn't do that, some did no matter what their BON looked like or the size of the pile of glass. BUT if I had a show in Vegas an all plexi BON with fiber optics would be wicked as well as a mountain of glass. And maybe a few red and black dragon banners or screens.

I should be working on scripts and not doodling here but I get bored with all work no play. Orlando Fringe cram time is hitting me hard. So much more to do. Been looking at my screen for three days. 15 windows open. Good times!

Will
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Quote:
On 2009-04-10 18:15, Stephon wrote:
That's the great thing about being a performer Dr. Z--you can have your style, and the rest of us can do things our way. Variety is far superior to a cookie-cutter approach that dictates that things *must* be done a certain way. IDIC for the nerds out there. (Well, for Gwyd, at least).

IDIC...
Very aptly put whilst ousting me.
Kol-Ut-Shan
Gwyd
Michael K
View Profile
Loyal user
Hazleton, PA
249 Posts

Profile of Michael K
Gwyd is a Vulcan? Next you'll tell me that Todd Robbins is the tallest Ferengi.

Michael
Who knows that "No good deed goes unpunished" is Rule #285 of the Rules of
Acquisition.
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Did something happen here during my absence?
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
No, just a hiccup.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
Michael, I'll be sure to include you in my little nerdfest next time.
~Les S. Moore, The Dapper Dipper
Swami Yomahmi and Cheeky Monkey Sideshow

"Comedy is a man in trouble." ~Bill Irwin
Jon Royer
View Profile
New user
Warminster, PA
70 Posts

Profile of Jon Royer
I think you could have a hot pink bed of nails if it suited your performance and it would be ok. People don't really care what you do, they care how you do it. If you have an act that a plexiglass BON works with then I say go for it. If you like the dangerous raw look and it fits with your performance then use it. Whether it is a good idea or not, stopping the creative thought process benefits no one. We are lucky to have people here who are willing to help guide us in the process.

On a more important note, ElectricBlue, what is the progress with the BON?
ElectricBlue
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of ElectricBlue
Hmmm well I'm pretty sure I'm not thinking like a magician.. because I'm not one and never have been?

Just exploring options you never know what you will discover unless you push the boundarys or try something that is not standard. I think that a clear bed of nails could perfectly suit some kinds of performances, It would depend completely one who you are and where you perform.

Any who, Thanks for the tips and hints everyone it has been very interesting jaming this idea with other like minds. Smile
Sylver Fyre
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan
152 Posts

Profile of Sylver Fyre
Quote:
On 2009-04-13 22:53, Jon Royer wrote:
I think you could have a hot pink bed of nails if it suited your performance and it would be ok.

Ooo I want a hot pink BON... and I want Gwyd to lay on it while I smush him... hehe
Okay fine we can paint my BON hot pink... Maybe I'll just add hot pink stripes to the already existing black legs of the stand.

I love the idea of an acrylic BON with lighting. I agree it would be best if this was a prop that was used and stored and transported in a way that would preserve it's beauty (lugging it around to outdoor gigs could leave it scratched up and not as desirable). Seems like it would be more of something you save for certain gigs/opportunities.
I think it would be a great visual experience for the audience and this is all part of a performance. Sideshow has always had a visual aesthetic element to it, look at the banners or the dancing girls...
Not everything in sideshow needs to look rough and worn.
Let us know how your progress is coming.
*goes back into lurking mode*
Sylver Fyre

"Do not warm yourself by the fire, become the flame"
---------------------------------------------
www.knottybitssideshow.com
Add me on Myspace or Facebook! http://www.myspace.com/sylverfyre
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Pink,,,yep that would be great for me too and would match the tutu I wear in the show.
Think a basket of red roses in each corner would set it off a treat as well !
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Roses and thorns...a very old show.

www.bladewalker.com
Sylver Fyre
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan
152 Posts

Profile of Sylver Fyre
Ah but do you wear matching toe shoes to go with that Tutu? A man on pointe... something rare to see and much more painful act for the performer then a BON.
Ooo I just had an idea... but unrelated to BON. So I'll keep it to myself for now.
Sylver Fyre

"Do not warm yourself by the fire, become the flame"
---------------------------------------------
www.knottybitssideshow.com
Add me on Myspace or Facebook! http://www.myspace.com/sylverfyre
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Perspex BON? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL