The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Johnny Carson, Dom DeLuise and eggs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
They just don't make TV like this any more. And that might be a good thing.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
My wife forwarded this to me a month ago and I'll bet I've watched it a doz. times!
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4766 Posts

Profile of landmark
Wow that's funny! And what shows me Carson was such a pro is how he finally puts an egg down his own pants--absolutely the key to the whole thing.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Tallent times two!
markmiller
View Profile
Special user
731 Posts

Profile of markmiller
Those wre the days.
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Freakin Brilliant!
Loved it!
G
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Late Night TV just isn't the same without Johnny.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2009-04-05 17:46, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

And that might be a good thing.

No! It's not a good thing. That was funnier than anything I've seen on television in years.

Kind of sad. Smile
mumford
View Profile
Special user
652 Posts

Profile of mumford
Johnny's original New York shows were actually live, not live to tape, and were ninety minutes. When you add all the years and all the laughs youi realize no one evr will match his record. He is sorely missed.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-04-06 16:57, stoneunhinged wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-04-05 17:46, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

And that might be a good thing.

No! It's not a good thing. That was funnier than anything I've seen on television in years.

Kind of sad. Smile

What I don't know is if it would still be funny if we saw it more often.

John
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Maybe not. But maybe the spontaneity--feigned or not--appeals to me because it's something different from the current Smarmy, Know-It-All, This is all a joke and it's being played on you, I can't believe I get paid for this, Armani with sneakers attitude that passes for comedy these days.

I find a lot of the stuff I see on youtube quite funny: the whole I'm f*****g Matt Damon stuff, and the Comic Insult Dog (can't remember his name). But the humor--though it makes me laugh--strikes me as perverse, somehow. It all...ALL...has a certain "I'm smarter than you" feel to it.

David Letterman was a kind of genius in his day because he introduced this sort of humor. (It needs a descriptive title of some sort. It's a sort of post-something or other.) It has to do with the self-conscious awareness of television as a non-intellectual medium. Seriously. Read Neil Postman on this. I'm quite serious, and it's not even 10 AM, so I'm not drunk. (Maybe a tiny bit hung over, but not drunk.) The humor is based on the idea that the comedian is a smart person who knows that his audience consists of non-intellectual TV junkies and a scattered few others who will understand the joke and laugh with him rather than at him. So we get: stupid pet tricks.

Now, Letterman was brilliant for introducing this. But my goodness! It would seem that everyone has copied him. Everyone.

Letterman would never put an egg down his trousers, because that would make HIM the joke, rather than his audience and the stupid pet tricks. And that's OK, because Letterman is Letterman. I have no problem with Letterman. My problem is with all the freaking Letterman copies out there.

And it's worse than y'all might think. There used to be a guy here who had copied Letterman's show down to a T, and he remains probably the most respected comedian in Germany. But he was nothing more than a copycat.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Jeff, you've really struck a chord with me on this one, but I don't know if I can articulate what I'm feeling.

I too am struck by the sense of "I'm above all of this" or "The world is less interesting than I am" or whatever it is that animates so much of today's pop culture.

There is something very sad--and somewhat frightening--in the air right now.

John
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I'm with you in that I can't really articulate it very well.

John, if you haven't read Neil Postman, order it today. The book is called "Amusing Ourselves To Death", and while it doesn't have anything directly about this style of humor, it remains essential reading about what effect television has on culture. It's not the "dumbing down" problem that so many people speak of. Let us have our dumb stuff; it doesn't hurt us. What hurts us is that the serious stuff becomes entertainment, so the line between serious deliberation and entertainment becomes blurred. The problem is not that Letterman thinks TV is a joke on all of us; the problem comes when the politicians and intellectuals imitate Letterman. Then ALL becomes a joke.

But now I am posting late in the evening, very late, after a lot of beer, so I'm probably not coherent.

Just buy the book, if you haven't already.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Thanks for the recommendation. I've heard Postman interviewed on the radio, and he does sound like a good read. I'll pick up the book for a short trip I'm taking in a few weeks.

John
noble1
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of noble1
Stoneunhinged I think much ogf Letterman's genius is borrowed from Steve Allen.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
And now both are no longer with us.

RIP Johnny and Dom.
Big Jeff
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of Big Jeff
I think I will rent cannon ball run today in honor of Dom.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
A friend of mine, Brock Yates, created and wrote Cannonball Run. The "real" runs were real, races on the highways from Ny to Calif.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2009-05-05 17:44, Pete Biro wrote:
A friend of mine, Brock Yates, created and wrote Cannonball Run. The "real" runs were real, races on the highways from Ny to Calif.

Did he draw any inspiration from The Gumball Rally?
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2720 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
"What's behind me is not important!"
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Johnny Carson, Dom DeLuise and eggs (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL