The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Preference of Keeping/ Taking the Center Out of a Rope (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magic from A to Z
View Profile
Elite user
Sweet Home Alabama
406 Posts

Profile of Magic from A to Z
I don't know if I'm being too picky, but I've come to notice that after having taken the center out my rope/s, that the rope/s appears to have become flat (at least to me). I don't know if its noticeable to the audience or not.

Do you prefer to have the center left in or taken out? Why would leave the center in the rope or take it out?

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

allen
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
A good bodied hollow core rope will not look flat.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Ian is right, it depends a lot on the type of rope. But the preference for removing the core is it is much easier to cut and handle.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
The older 1/4" cotton was just a bit too full of the strands to remove the core, however, some of that rope allowed you to remove a few of the 6-8 cotton strands inside. If it is done before a show, then you won't have a problem.
The 5/8 or 10mm hollow core retains its shape very well. That's similar to what I use for linking ropes.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Magic from A to Z
View Profile
Elite user
Sweet Home Alabama
406 Posts

Profile of Magic from A to Z
Ian,

Would you suggest using the 5/8 hollow core for doing The Magician's Nightmare?
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I have so much evolved away from a basic nightmare, that I would almost say a good quality hollow core would be best. The main thing is, that when the rope bends, it retains that slight arc or circle where it curves, but not fold in a "v" shape.
Since I primarily use my linking ropes when doing the nightmare, and they are a hollow core 11mm rope, I have good success.
I find the cored 14" to have sufficed in my younger days, but the versatility fo the hollow core is better.
Now, the real problem is continuity. IF you are doing Fiber optics acrobatic moves, or Tabary, or my effects, you want to have some good body to the rope. The Elite rope parlour size is probably good, but I rather like the 10mm hollow core.
So the short answer to your question is Yes!!
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I keep the core in the rope. For some moves in my routine, like when I like link the ring onto the rope with it tied to my wrist, any rope that flattens out makes it difficult to do the moves.

I use the cheap rope. I got two 300 foot reels of it for $24 last year at metro magic.
-Matt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Preference of Keeping/ Taking the Center Out of a Rope (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL