The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How to organize my time (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ohiobigdog
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of ohiobigdog
I'm sure this has probably been asked before, but I can't seem to find anything. I'm back into doing magic again and I'm interested in cards, coins, sponge balls and rope magic. Obviously I won't get anywhere if I try to perfect everything at once, so what's the best way to organize my time? Should I work a little bit each day on everything or concentrate on one thing at a time? Maybe I should set up a schedule where I'm doing cards on Monday, coins on Tuesday, etc. What are your opinions?
Bande
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of Bande
Just my $.02, but I think the key is to find a trick or two that really intrigues you. Then practice the sleights associated with it until you get it down. Practice is a lot easier (at least for me) when there is a goal and a cool result at the end of the tunnel. I started with a Coin Matrix because it was not too hard, a really fun effect that I could see myself performing and still learned some useful coin moves. Another benefit is there are many ways to do it, and you can expand your moves repertoire that way. For cards, I started with OOTW for the same reasons. I didn't spend much time with ropes or balls because I perform "impromptu" for friends and colleagues and showing up with ropes or balls seemed a bit forced. If you are going to perform for a larger crowd, sponge balls are a blast and performed well still amazes people. I am not a rope fan, but others I am sure will disagree. Smile
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
What you need is the advice found in a wonderful book called "The Ostrich Factor" written by one of our Café members Gerald Edmundson (screen name Gerald). The advice on practice and rehersal, plus routining, planning your shows, well I wish I had found it 40 years ago. It took me over 30 years to learn what is in that book. You can find it at http://www.geraldedmundson.com/tof1/bookorder.htm
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
rdsachs
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of rdsachs
I get the same problem too.. I'm a beginner in magic and I kind of feel like a child with a very short attention span: 'oo that's cool, oo wait that's cool too!!'
I really shot myself in the foot in the beginning by 'knowing' a lot of tricks and not really concentrating on any of them as much as I should have. Now I really practice on one thing at a time (its card sleights at the moment) until I have it down. What I try and do is imagine myself performing something so I learn 2,3 rope tricks properly and then a sponge routine properly, and then some coin routines properly, then a couple of card tricks concentrating on say cards for weeks of sponges. That way I can decide to do ropes and it'll be a self contained routine I'm happy with or if I want I can move onto something else I've throughly practiced

Father Photius is the Ostrich Factor a book for professional performers only or could it also be used by someone like me at the beginning? thanks
konjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
Iowa
395 Posts

Profile of konjurer
I think you can apply practice principles from other disciplines quite effectively. I borrowed some aspects of my practice from learning a musical instrument. You warm up, you practice scales, you work with the metronome, you work in a piece of music to stretch a specific skill or build muscle memory or you rehearse a piece for a performance.

Bottomline is that you need some focus. It's impossible to learn every discipline in magic to an expert proficiency. So pick two or three areas and focus.

Break your practice time into chunks.

15 minute card sleights
15 minutes card routines
15 minutes cups and balls
15 minutes coins
15 minutes reviewing material you already know - dust off the archives - revive and refine material you've already mastered.
15 minutes scripting/rehearsing

You'll gain so much more proficiency by focusing your time.
===========================================
Clever stuff goes here!
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Obviously different things work for different people. I personally like to perfect an item and add that to my collection of 'performable' magic. I then practice in total the material that I CAN do. I then expend a portion of time on learning the next 'thing' that I wish to add. This keeps my chops healthy on the material that I have already perfected and hones it even more, while giving me new material that is coming up from behind...so to speak.

Best,
Brad Burt
ohiobigdog
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of ohiobigdog
Thanks for the replies so far. There's a lot of good advice there. I like the analogy of comparing it to learning a musical instrument. Right now I've just been going by what I feel like working on that day. One day it may be ropes, the next day cards. I'm trying to learn a few good card tricks from the Michael Ammar ETMCM videos, and I'm working on the rope routine found in Fiber Optics. I already have the Mark Wilson book, so I've been reading that a bit, here and there. I also have New Modern Coin Magic, but I haven't cracked it open yet. I guess I just need to narrow down my choices. I think I'm gonna concentrate mainly on cards and money magic, cause I can always carry those things with me. Even though, I could put sponge balls in my pocket and wear a belt made of rope like Jethro on the Beverly Hillbillies. HA, HA!!
Gerald
View Profile
Veteran user
Arkansas
325 Posts

Profile of Gerald
Quote:
On 2009-04-06 14:14, rdsachs wrote:
Father Photius is the Ostrich Factor a book for professional performers only or could it also be used by someone like me at the beginning? thanks

Hi rdsachs,
The Ostrich Factor is useful at any level. It is good for beginners because you learn to practice efficiently from the beginning. You avoid wasting time pursuing “bunny trails” during your practice and rehearsal time.

Hope this answers your question.

Regards,
Gerald Edmundson
Koolmagic114
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Koolmagic114
I am not sure myself if I like the music analogy practice. And breaking down practice into such small intervals and practicing a bit of everything.

I think what is important as someone said above, is to first find some effects YOU are interested in and starting there. If you like them and have ambition to learn and perform them then your practice will be enjoyable.

It is hard being new back into it and seeing "new" cool stuff you want to do and lose track of what you were doing. First maybe find a category (so to speak) of what you do like. Cards, coins, rope, etc.

What were you doing before? Go back and refresh yourself with something you were doing awile ago that you allbready have some fimilarity with.

But do find something you enjoy practicing.

Sorry for typos folks iPhone not the best for typing longer replies :-P

Eddy
Eddy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Co-Creator of "TAGZ" / "Iced Over" / " TelePad" / "Penigma"
www.magicianslair.com
bhayankaran
View Profile
Regular user
India
146 Posts

Profile of bhayankaran
I feel this is true with any beginner(I am a beginner too). We want to know how all the tricks in the world work. The result is we lose concentration and end up in a state where nothing can be performed. I myself am still trying to be a "good" student, but all the hypes and info on the net makes it tough. What I do now now is practice in a disciplined way as well as satisfy my curiosity once in a while (whenever I have some extra money). After all, we are homo sapiens!!!

Quote:
On 2009-04-06 14:14, rdsachs wrote:
I get the same problem too.. I'm a beginner in magic and I kind of feel like a child with a very short attention span: 'oo that's cool, oo wait that's cool too!!'
I really shot myself in the foot in the beginning by 'knowing' a lot of tricks and not really concentrating on any of them as much as I should have. Now I really practice on one thing at a time (its card sleights at the moment) until I have it down. What I try and do is imagine myself performing something so I learn 2,3 rope tricks properly and then a sponge routine properly, and then some coin routines properly, then a couple of card tricks concentrating on say cards for weeks of sponges. That way I can decide to do ropes and it'll be a self contained routine I'm happy with or if I want I can move onto something else I've throughly practiced

truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Hi OBD

Once you have got your basic materials e.g a few good books, dvd's and props, then you have to make a deal with yourself not to go onto dealer websites for at least 6 months (I know it's hard, infact very hard. I sometimes compare magicians to crack addicts looking for there next fix) This way you will really take the time to learn sleights and effects from the material that you already have.

I am talking from experience and I am sure at least 50% of other Café members will agree that they have experienced the same problem at some stage in their journy. (I think it's known as CUPS)

I guess the point that I'm trying to make is that if you learn 6 - 12 effects well and all their required sleights, then add some good presentation you will be well on your way to having a very entertaining and professional looking act.

All The Best
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How to organize my time (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL