The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Strolling/Close up case (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
rochaz
View Profile
Veteran user
I'm TORN.........
378 Posts

Profile of rochaz
Hello All!
I am currently looking for a professional case to carry my props for my close up and strolling show.
Right now I use a plastic "arts and crafts" case that is a tad too small (but functional) and would like to purchase something like the case in the link below.

http://www.yazmo.com/largeblackaluminump......-22.aspx

I was hoping that perhaps that one of my fellow magi had purchased or used this particular case. From the page it looks like a very professional case with some customizable/adjustable features. The price is not too bad either.

I would appreciate any thoughts or comments on this matter. Smile

Thank you,
Rochaz
- We do not want them to suspend disbelief in the way they would in theater and story. We want them to think critically and observe carefully. Our job is to force them to believe in magic even against their better judgment.”
Whit Hayden

:Juan R Rocha:
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13406 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
What are the features you're looking for in a case?
Are you using it during your work? Or just leaving it off in a corner?
What are some of the things your current case doesn't do?

What doesn't fit that you'd like to bring along?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
rochaz
View Profile
Veteran user
I'm TORN.........
378 Posts

Profile of rochaz
Frank,
Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post!

My bookings are strickly closeup/strolling. I do not use the case as a tabletop.
The case will stay off in a dark corner.

The things that are important to me are:
1) Easy accessibility to all my props (for example I usually prep several card cases and like to drop off "used" decks and grab another deck(s) as I head over to another table or group.)

I will go back to my case to ditch or reload gimmicks, grab another effect (CV, Tagged, my Sponge Ball routine, coins, etc.)I have around 20 effects total that I rotate between groups/tables (depending on the size of the event) and I typically stick to 3 to 4 effects per.

My current case is okay but everything ends up kind of out of whack because it doesn't have the space or design that I need. Sometimes one has to go back and forth as quickly as possible and the Yazmo makeup case seems to be made to order.

Everything I need for my bookings I carry with me....I would just like a more organized, professional-looking case.
I really like the look of the black-brushed aluminum case!

Thanks for listening...... Smile

Respectfully,
Rochaz
- We do not want them to suspend disbelief in the way they would in theater and story. We want them to think critically and observe carefully. Our job is to force them to believe in magic even against their better judgment.”
Whit Hayden

John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Hi Rochaz,

I 've had a case similar to this for several years now. Got it at the Home Depot. Mine's a silver exterior. I think this is probably the best case to carry close material. There's a plenty of little space for everything which makes it very easy to organize and find props. I'm pretty sure you could do better on the price though. I've seen cases like this at Walmart in the make-up department (not that I hang around there mind you!!!Just following the wife LOL) Also as I said Home Depot or Lowes perhaps.

Good luck,

John
rochaz
View Profile
Veteran user
I'm TORN.........
378 Posts

Profile of rochaz
John,
Thanks for taking the time to try to help out...much appreciated!
I've checked a couple of my local Lowe's and Home Depot's but have not had any luck finding a decent case.
I plan on checking WalMart's makeup department again just in case I missed something the 1st time (maybe I'll run in to you there!) ;-)

The one place that I will check this weekend is one of our local beauty supply shops. They may have a similar case for a much better price!

I will definitely come back and pass along what I've found or haven't found. Smile

Respectfully,
Rochaz
Whit Hayden

slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1891 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Bed bath and Beyond has some inexpensive make-up cases. It all depends on how much you need to hold.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Rochaz,

Also check Target's make up section! I picked up a slightly smaller model made by "Kaboodle"(sp?) there for a reasonable price and it has served me well! It would make sense that a camera shop might have something to fit your needs as well!

Good luck in your search,

MMc
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of John Martin
noble1
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of noble1
I've always thought it's funny to use a violin case. Partition the inside with felt covered cardboard or foamcore glued into place and your ready to go.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13406 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I have a violin case. Haven't used it up I have it. I'm planning on a smaller version of my table servante to be sold as a close-up case. It's still in the planning stages but if you have specific needs in a case I am jotting down ideas.

feel free to pm me with your weird needs.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
rochaz
View Profile
Veteran user
I'm TORN.........
378 Posts

Profile of rochaz
Slyhand,
Bed, Bath and Beyond? I never would've thought about checking out that place!
Just added it to my list for the weekend.

You guys have been great! Only on the Café' would you have a bunch of males recommending to other males where to purchase makeup cases......gotta love it!
:)

Respectfully,
Rochaz
Whit Hayden

pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Violin case, that's funny! I've said before many times, my preferred case is a Dr. Bag. Nothing looks classier. You'll have to build your own compartment dividers. I've never liked the "tackle-box" look. It's close-up magic, how much stuff do you need? I would think that if a spectator saw inside the box they would think, "wow, that guy has a lot of magic stuff." Magic, especially close-up should come from you, not your props. My Dr. bag holds a few decks, coin purses and cups with final loads. I'll be very interested to see what Frank comes up with.
noble1
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of noble1
I've also used various doctors bags, also a lawyers file case works great and is easier to install dividers than a drs bag. I prefer the viloin case for two reasons, it is shallow and easy to find stuff in without having to dig deep and asthetically I think it projects the idea of "artist" better than the dr or law bag.
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Pepka,

Thet idea of a tackle box is to store and carry props, not to be used during performance, at least that's what I used it for. Arriving at the show I "load up" an perform from my pockets.

John
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
I discovered the cases that John and I use many years back. They are great, for the various levels, and the amount of material they hold. Nice and neat.

One other case I now use comes in a set of 2, usually a larger black case, I use for sound gear, and individual stage effects etc. and a very small silver case about 3" thick, and the size of a reguler laptop. It can be used for strolling if you want, or carries enough material for my walk around.

Blair Marshall
rochaz
View Profile
Veteran user
I'm TORN.........
378 Posts

Profile of rochaz
Quote:

Pepka,
The idea of a tackle box is to store and carry props, not to be used during performance, at least that's what I used it for. Arriving at the show I "load up" and perform from my pockets.

John

John,
That's exactly how I use my case.....I like the idea of arriving with a nice looking case (like the one in the link I provided) and going back and forth to my case during my performance(s).

Pepka,
The idea of using a doctor's bag if pretty cool too.....just not my cup o' tea.
:)

Respectfully,
Rochaz
Whit Hayden

John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of John Martin
A lot of magicians around Montreal use the small or medium silver cases attached to a Eureka base with a flange they srew on the bottom (they must have gotten a group discount LOL). Much like this http://www.canadiantire.ca/include/produ......89094691 I find this very tacky. I've even seen a few with beat up older cases with a close up mat glued on the lid. Yuk. The doctor's bag classy way to go, as is a nice table that looks elegant. http://incredibleillusion.com/privatecloseup2007.htm
I've just made another table top to sit on a wooden waiters stand, much like a street performers table, lot of table space for ribbon spreads and such.

John
rochaz
View Profile
Veteran user
I'm TORN.........
378 Posts

Profile of rochaz
John,
I like the elegant simplicity of your stand/table! It doesn't take up much space and seems like it's very functional.

Kind of hard to tell from the pictures....I imagine the stand is pretty stable?
Do you take this stand to all your strolling gigs and just walk back to your case
to reload? I really like this table!

Rochaz
Whit Hayden

mumford
View Profile
Special user
652 Posts

Profile of mumford
Stanley Jaks used to carry around a hollow dictionary sized book that said magic on the outside and on the inside he carried all his props.
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Rochaz,

I take this table to all my close up shows. I have a bigger one and just finished a new one the will be stationary and I'll have people come to me. Here's a picture of the new one. I load up from my carrying case once and that`s it for the evening. I have a one trick per pocket rule. So with 6 or 7 effects and a deck of cards I`m good for the evening....remember you`ll be doing the same 4 or 5 trick over and over.

John

Click here to view attached image.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Strolling/Close up case (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL