The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Are there ANY good Comedy Funnels? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
Back in the 1980's I used to do the comedy funnel trick all the time.

I used a funnel I picked up at an auction which had a turning nozzle. It never leaked and worked like a charm until it broke.

Since then I have purchased dozens of funnels, all of which have leaked or dribbled when I've picked them up on their way to the child's elbow:

Morrisey
Bazaar DeMagia
Juan Tamariz
and countless others

can ANYONE recommend a good, dribble-free funnel?

TIM ELLIS
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1042 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
I can share a way that I used mine which has been great for not having to worry about the dribbles.

I did away with the pre-loading, and just started with the funnel and a 600ml bottle of water. Opened the bottle and then held the funnel tightly into my left palm and poured the water into the funnel. Filled it to the top and then while it was loading I used to take a little bit of the water and flick it onto the specks while chanting like a catholic priest "Ani no domino spirit de san tos" all in good fun. Then when most of the water had loaded I filled it again and did a couple of gags. Then I would take the funnel in my right hand with my thumb tightly over the hole and absent mindedly point to someone in the audience with my left hand to say something letting the little bit of water still in there fall to the ground. Then little drops and dribbles didn't seem to be anything strange after that.

Of course I did a lot of outdoors shows and busked quite a bit and doing this was quite easy. In another part of my act I used a bucket of confetti for another gag and often was able to get most of the water into the bucket.

That's how I handled the problem of preloading and the associated problems of leaking and making sure the hole was plugged properly.

JoJo
Magic guy in Perth Australia
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Yes! The Deluxe Auto Matic Funnel (Bazar De Magia) is the best one I have ever owned. I had a Comedy Funnel, and it could be aggrivating sometimes. I also had a Super Funnel that worked well, but it ran a little slow. My Deluxe Auto Matic Funnel looks better, and performs far better than any comedy funnel I have owned.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Perry D Winkle
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

Profile of Perry D Winkle
I also have the Bazar De Magia automatic funnel. It's very good quality and does not seem to leak as long as you do not leave it on it's side. I usually leave it resting right side up inside the cup that I'm going to use for the effect.
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
I have several Bazar De Magia automatic funnels (I was told they were they best) but they dribble too. I'll try lying it on it's side, but I think, when I hold it under an elbow, it will start dribbling immediately... I'll try playing with it tonight, but I'm still not sold on it.

Still open to other options...
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I have one of the type you mentioned with the "turning nozzle" feature. Best part of it is that it's also designed like a Foo Can. Turning it over has no effect on it and won't make it leak.

I don't use it, and if you think you could use it, let me know.

Steve
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
What about an old fashion Taylor or P&L funnel with a piece of tape or wax?

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I used to fill my funnel and cap the end off with a rubber cane tip that I bought in a pharmacy. If it dripped at all, it would just be a few drops.
The best funnel routine that I ever saw was Col. Seymour's routine that was part of his show and lecture. He had some great sight gags that I've never seen anyone else do.
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
Quote:
On 2009-04-08 01:54, Tim Ellis wrote:
I have several Bazar De Magia automatic funnels (I was told they were they best) but they dribble too.

Yep, mine dribbles at bit too. But it is minimal - so I don't get too worried about it.

Mark
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
I'm definitely interested Steve! Always keen to add to my collection... *g*

email me tim@magicunlimited.com

I played with the BDM last night and we found two options:

1 - the idea of rinsing the funnel out with water to clean it. Thus explaining the dribbles... except I like to use milk in the routine

2 - having two identical funnels in the bucket. One to be displayed and examined, the second (filled) to be used
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Tim, it surprises me that your Bazar De Magia funnel leaks. Is yours the Deluxe Auto Matic Funnel? Mine does not leak a drop. The valve is very good. I'm thinking that, if yours is a Deluxe model like mine and it is leaking, that maybe it is defective or something. Did it leak when it was new?

Maybe you could contact Bazar De Magia and tell them about it and see what they say. I have owned 3 or 4 comedy funnels and this theirs is by far the best one out of all of them.

Regan
Mister Mystery
pjw
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of pjw
Mine dosnt leak either, build up of milk perhaps?
its hard to clean milk out
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Mine uses wax as a seal and dribbles a bit. But I find that this adds to the trick. I'm also careful that I lift it in a way to minimise dribbles.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
It doesn't leak if you keep it vertical, as soon as you tilt it (to show it empty, for example) it dribbles.

That's the way it's designed...
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Oh I see. I never felt that I needed to actually allow the audience to see inside the funnel to prove it is empty. I feel that is running without being chased. I think people automatically assume a funnel to be empty. I do allow the audience see me make a pour through the funnel prior to using the trick part of the funnel. For example: If you are using it with a milk routine, you could pick up the funnel and pour milk through it, catch the milk in a container, (Foo Can) and place the container on top of the volunteer's head, etc, etc. That proves to the audience that the funnel is ordinary without really drawing attention to it.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
That's a nice idea.

Then any dribbles just look like residue
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
I have a "Funny funnel" from Davenports - it's cheap, has a twist-lock nozzle that has worked flawlessly for years, and it never drips. Perhaps I'v ejust been lucky?
electric.ceu
View Profile
Regular user
I can't believe I have
130 Posts

Profile of electric.ceu
Mine is the old style with the hole that I seal with wax. It dribbles a little but I pour water through it when I first introduce it.
Timothy James
Marduk
View Profile
Regular user
Argentina
105 Posts

Profile of Marduk
Automatic funnel by Bazar de Magia doesn´t leak a drop in vertical position, that is the performance position.
All the magic funnels can leak some drops when you turn them or when you put them in horizontal position and the back to the vertical position again, and it is produced by tha action of the physics.
If you have an Automatic Funnel by Bazar de Magia and it leaks when in vertical position, please contact us and we will replace it.
Quique Marduk
Bazar de Magia
bazar@magia.com.ar
I'am a proffesional magician and lecturer
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Are there ANY good Comedy Funnels? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL